steering column choices (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.fj40taz.com
has anyone swapped there steering column out to an Ididit column..

I want to add tilt to mine and looking for option.. i am pretty sure i have seen people swap in a camaro column,,

You can keep it toyota with an fj60 tilt column.

D

Chevy. Tilt and locking ignition.

20150505_193923.jpg

Chevy steering wheels look horrid in a cruiser.

The Ididit steering columns will be funky wired into the stock harness. But they can be done. All depends on how much work you want to put into it.

I've never really found the need for a tilt column in a cruiser personally.

^^ Different strokes.....
Personally I like the way the '89 - 95 GM columns fit. DD end easily accepts Borgeson joints and tilt keeps the wheel out of your lap if you have modified the seats to accommodate long legs.:)

Absolutely! But I'd switch out the steering wheel ;)

Wiring from the Ididit and the GM column are essentially identical. how did you get the turn signals and ignition to hook up?

Several years ago I swapped in a GMC Jimmy column ('89 I think). It's been too long for my feeble memory to remember the details, but I never had any problem with any of the wiring (headlights, ignition, turn signals) except for the windshield wipers ) high/low speeds and the washer). I ended up using the column just for on/off, and a toggle switch on the dash for high/low.

Don

I actually have a custom harness which already has the chevy end on it so a chevy column would be an easy swap as far a wiring goes..

did away with the factory harness and install and american auto wire harness.. i also have the sbc and chevy power steering conversion done..

Yeah, I swapped to FJ62 column and powering steering box:

fire_wall.jpg
dash.jpg
fire_wall2.jpg
dash2.jpg

I used the BTB iditit Chevy column, firewall plate, 2 inch steering column bracket and a 15" Chevy Nova steering wheels mated to a American Autowire Highway 22 harness.

Contact Mel Lowe. He's got complete 60 columns in stock

Summit, Jegs and other speed shops carry Ididit. You can always do better than BTB.

www.btbprod.com is the website and the gear is on the off road chassis page. Sure, you can do better on the column but it was nice to order all of it on one web site.

Hello, I installed an ididit column on my fj40. The after market GT steering wheel bolts right on, but it looks like crap and my stock steering wheel from 1982 fj40 will not fit. Has anyone installed their stock steering wheel on ididit column, or have a good solution?

Regards,
fj40365

Can somebody please just tell me what column to buy? I’m clueless. I just bought a Saginaw setup from sor and was told to buy a tilt column but everything after 1975 seems to be tilt. So.... what’s the most modern reasonable column to buy. Can I strap on a 94 suburban column? Or does it have to be a 74 Camaro column where they are good plated from jets and you have to spend 1k?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom