1980 FJ45 in Dubai - Saved From the Sands (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

WOW!!!! now that looks incredible!! I agree with you, don't want to do dune bashing with that...its a classic. Its earned its retirement.

Big question is how did this project cost you? Can I get the contact details of the garage? Thinking I'm going to have to do something similar maybe in a year / two. Rather work with a team that has some good experience with FJ40's.

:bounce::bounce2::cheers: this is one very sweet ride!

WOW!!!! now that looks incredible!! I agree with you, don't want to do dune bashing with that...its a classic. Its earned its retirement.

Big question is how did this project cost you? Can I get the contact details of the garage? Thinking I'm going to have to do something similar maybe in a year / two. Rather work with a team that has some good experience with FJ40's.

:bounce::bounce2::cheers: this is one very sweet ride!

Lol huge question, the answer is much more than I originally expected, just because when I came up with something I wanted changed we found what I consider to be the best way to fix it instead of just doing what we need to get by.

I honestly spent a lot on parts that could have been reused but I put new, just because I'm doing this once and want to do it right.

You can find the garage on Instagram @performance_garage_dxb - honestly I have nothing but praise to shower on them. They have done an amazing job in every way.

View attachment 1125053 this is the inside view of my new disk brakes which will hopefully allow me to stop

Question for you on this pic... What steering arms are those? The ones that were on your truck originally or the ones that came off the 60 axle?

Ok so I feel like I owe people an update. Progress was slow, but today I checked out the white vinyl lettering on the back that we had clearcoated over.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1443650055.483945.jpg
this is a capture from my snapchat so not that clear but I was too excited to take proper pics.

I have to say the clutch is incredibly stiff (maybe I'm just not used to it), but after a few trips around the block in traffic my leg hurt . That being said the ac worked beautifully, music via Bluetooth was better than I expected, and all around I'm over the moon. Small issue with rear brakes leaking which they will look at & also need to find the center cap for my steering wheel that they misplaced. Either way I will probably drive it on Saudi export plates just because I can't wait to hit the open road and see how she does.

Either way I will probably drive it on Saudi export plates just because I can't wait to hit the open road and see how she does.

The Police here in Abu Dhabi told me that driving on the Saudi export plates is a big no-no. That if I'd been pulled over by a police officer they'd have likely confiscated the car. You know Arabic so probably have the ability to smooth things over... just be careful.

Stunning by the way. Let's see some pics of the rear lettering. Have you taken it out to the desert for some glamour shots yet? =)

Well the good news and the bad news- I registered it no problems & I never want to drive another car. Dubai code A for that old school look. I'm going to try and get around to some proper pictures to showcase it

Ok good call on the import plates, I guess I'll just have to wait until I'm fully legal. As for the rear here is a pic of when it was first done. It is vinyl and was then clear coated over.View attachment 1141421

MashaAllah indeed!! looks very sweet! :)

I'm not sure if the Dubai Authorities will give you grief over those bumperette's. I'm still struggling with the Qatari dudes; but if you want, I have a perfect Hilux bumper + bolt on attachments. Good for inspection only;)

MashaAllah indeed!! looks very sweet! :)

I'm not sure if the Dubai Authorities will give you grief over those bumperette's. I'm still struggling with the Qatari dudes; but if you want, I have a perfect Hilux bumper + bolt on attachments. Good for inspection only;)
Thanks for the offer bro, but al7amdilla they already passed it! good luck with yours

Well the good news and the bad news- I registered it no problems & I never want to drive another car. Dubai code A for that old school look. I'm going to try and get around to some proper pictures to showcase it

You need to take it on the Sharjah-Kalba road out near Fossil Rock... some lovely scenery for a proper photo shoot. One of my favorite areas for a UAE-esque backdrop.

You need to take it on the Sharjah-Kalba road out near Fossil Rock... some lovely scenery for a proper photo shoot. One of my favorite areas for a UAE-esque backdrop.
Will do but even with the ac on its still a bit hot for that.

Great FJ45! Just moved to Dubai. Would love to see in person.

I had 1976 FJ45 and 1978 FJ45 in Canada, still have a 1985 (built in 1984) BJ40 in Costa Rica and 1996 80 in Canada at my folks' place. For 5 years in Azerbaijan had 2012 HZJ-76 with factory winch and lockers and snorkel, bought it new but had to leave it behind sadly... but the 45 is still the model I dream about. Congratulations on rebuild of this amazing machine.

Do you still have line on FJ45 specific parts?

I'm blown away to discover that this cruiser now resides with me in Pacifica, CA. My buddy Omar who lived in Abu Dhabi must have bought it from Maxofarabia and I bought from Omar. Crazy story and how it ended in CA with me.

It is indeed one and the same truck. And dude... Maxofarabia is a celebrity in the UAE. You have a celebrity owned truck right there. ;)

I was going to send you a message, since you were corresponding quite a bit on this thread and I’ve asked you a couple of questions in the past. What a crazy coincidence, this would be like a car magazine article, Max did an awesome job and I’m so happy to know it’s history.

Last edited:
The restoration of this vehicle resumes now in the US by Georg (Valley Hybrids). An H55F 5 speed tranny and splitcase has been installed in addition to power steering, rebuilt carb with the proper linkage, new front suspension shackles, also added the ARB bumper from my old 40. New rims, tires and hubcaps coming soon, will post more pictures when complete. I'm so fortunate to have Georg's shop near by, he knows his s***, does fantastic work and is a great guy.

45ARB.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom