Trying to remove the carriage bolts from the front bumper to the frame (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DKM

Threads
78 fj40. Is there a trick to removing these? I am loosening the nut on the back (by turning it to the right), but the nut isn't making its way down the thread, if that makes sense. It just spins, but the carriage bolt itself isn't spinning. From what I can see, the carriage bolt has a square under the dome which sits in a square hole in the bumper. The carriage head isn't spinning, so the square hole isn't rounded out. This is driving me crazy. Any help or tips are appreciated. Sorry to clutter the board with what is probably a stupid question. Appreciate you guys.

No trick that I’m aware of. As you correctly stated the square part of the carriage bolt is doing its job. It sounds like the threads are stripped out. May need to try a cutoff wheel or a nut splitter.

Kind of a small space for a sawzall. While not as quick a Dremel would do the job just requires patience. Another oprltion is to use a small punch to mark the center of the carriage bolt head. Drive a small hole deep enough to be into nut. Then keep stepping up the size of the bit. Once your close to the thread size a punch a little smaller will probably pop the head off and then rest should drive thru. Bolt and nut are trash. When I'done I don't want to damage anything but those.

Kind of a small space for a sawzall. While not as quick a Dremel would do the job just requires patience. Another oprltion is to use a small punch to mark the center of the carriage bolt head. Drive a small hole deep enough to be into nut. Then keep stepping up the size of the bit. Once your close to the thread size a punch a little smaller will probably pop the head off and then rest should drive thru. Bolt and nut are trash. When I'done I don't want to damage anything but those.
I was going to take a portaband to it this weekend and see if I can get it between the head and the bumper, but a dremel might be better. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll reply after I get it done so future searches can see this thread and how it turned out/lessons learned.

I have had great success using an oscillating tool to cut bolts. Just need to buy a good blade. I used it to cut the OEM rear body mounts.

1714157534785.png

Does sound like the threads are stripped, could be the nut or bolt, perhaps some of each. Big punch and a hammer to drive out the bolt. Torch it off or drill it out. Bolts and nuts are cheap. A cut off wheel in a Dremel to put a cut line in the nut, then use a cold chisel to split the nut.

Does sound like the threads are stripped, could be the nut or bolt, perhaps some of each. Big punch and a hammer to drive out the bolt. Torch it off or drill it out. Bolts and nuts are cheap. A cut off wheel in a Dremel to put a cut line in the nut, then use a cold chisel to split the nut.
Or if there is enough room.. A nut splitter is a good tool as well.

1714158059065.png

I think a drill would cause less damaging to the bumper.

Last edited:
I have had great success using an oscillating tool to cut bolts. Just need to buy a good blade. I used it to cut the OEM rear body mounts.

View attachment 3617226

Probably not as bad as a sawzall. By the location not sure how well I could free hand in this awkward tight location. Especially if it one them in between the frame rails.

Or if there is enough room.. A nut splitter is a good tool as well.

View attachment 3617228

One tool I've never collected. This is one location might be a great choice.

I think a drill would cause less damaging to the bumper.

I Agree, hate rushing a job only too end up creating more work. I have a slow RPM 1/2" electric drill. Using high quality bits it cuts thru bolts quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom