VMJ73 Resto-Not (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Meh, my pig is still faster.

Started tear down, cleaning, inspecting the tranny/transfer yesterday.

image.jpg

Everything looks good, according to rebuilder, who added the bearings prolly don't even need to be replaced, the icing on the top of the craptastic, 52HP VM engine.

At first, it appeared the main shaft had substantial wear, to my uneducated eyes, but it's all in good shape the deception from fluid residue.

Inside of TC is caked, too, which is going to require stripping.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Hopes to have finished up this week and I hope to have swapped early next, but anticipating Delancy's Law to impact, at some point, so we'll see.

Coolest part of the trip was seeing rebuilder's 40 score from many years ago, tucked away in a cargo container in the back lot.

He's a Cruiser enthusiast (evidenced by the largest collection of rusted ass Pigs, surpassing my own, and other 40/60s returning to Mother Earth, on the lot) and has been talking about this 40 for several years.

Late '74 (F/4 speed) that, ironically, was purchased from a storage auction in '88, complete, but the engine torn down due to catastrophic cooling system failure that coated the firewall and hood, for a song.

This thing is perfectly patina'd, with a light coating of, what appears, oxidation, although he buffed the upper section of DS door several years ago, and the paint gleams Sky Blue underneath.

Seats are torn to hell, dash pad is cracked, typical interior condition expected, but the only rust my oversized ass in a cramped container could find was the DS rear sill, that was more than skin deep.

F was OS bored, reassembled with OEs, bearings, head done, but has all been sitting for an untold amount of time, so will likely need serious attention, that he's capable of giving.

Knowing what he paid, felt my $10k offer was reasonable, but only produced a smirk, followed by a "nah".

By far, the cleanest vintage Cruiser that's lived the majority of its life in OK (don't think a new 40 was ever sold in OK), regardless that it's spent most of that time in dry storage.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Done.

image.jpg

Drop and swap over the next couple of days.

Now, need to work up the gumption to cut the RuffStuffs down and cannibalize the 80 axles.

Some wheel/hub/wheel bearing issue cropped up today that would give an 80 front driveshaft vibe a run for its money, so sooner than later on axle swap.

Outta look real nice 80 width on leafs.

So who the hell is turning the wrenches??

Dallas, the guy with the damn lift.

image.jpg

Ain't even a fair fight....

My driveway and very little time, versus his multiple lifts, tranny carts, and 55 gallon drain pan.

Have to have her up on jackstands to do anything, because she's a low rider....BUT, not for long.

Joe and a couple of friends from Belgium were in the 'hood and dropped a nice present off this evening.

image.jpg

Kinda has me itchin' to git 'er dun, now, at least get rid of the ghetto-tastic dubs.

Muffler is as solid as a rock. Don't know that I've ever felt one as full and has to have a huge impact on the HZ.

Hate to reroute exhaust, since anything will be temporary, so wondering how much it'd suck to cut it off right before muffler.

Just cut it off and throw a cheap bullet muffler on there. Plain steel probably $35. Done. See how it affects the hz without redoing the entire exhaust just to redo it again.

Muffler is as solid as a rock. Don't know that I've ever felt one as full and has to have a huge impact on the HZ.

Hate to reroute exhaust, since anything will be temporary, so wondering how much it'd suck to cut it off right before muffler.

You got a pair of old work boots?

Few pair....

They've all kinda become like multiple hats worn at one time, during every given day.....none seem to fit quite right.

Well they are Belgian...

Bahahaha.

Very elegant correction, one well deserved, as I did give pause and thought to recalling which ihop served.

My apologies to both Joe and his Belgian friends.

can't wait for the 'end' of this build...

Touché.

Just cut it off and throw a cheap bullet muffler on there. Plain steel probably $35. Done. See how it affects the hz without redoing the entire exhaust just to redo it again.

Pipe is so rusty, I don't know if it can be welded, but a better alternative to cutting short.

Interested to see what the muffler weighs. It feels solid like a rock.

Just clamp it on there.

So do you plan an running a 1FZ at any point or have you succumbed to the pleasant torque of a non-turbo 1HZ?

Also I'd agree with buying the cheapest Summit or Napa muffler you can find.

Just clamp it on there.

Way too easy.....

So do you plan an running a 1FZ at any point?

Yes, but not in this, at this time.

Will run in something.....unless someone appreciates an Antonson built 5.0L 1FZ-FE with a MT ECU, harness, and their choice of rebuilt H150F/HF1A or H151F/HF1A with new crossmember, tranny and motor mounts as part of the package.....as much as I "appreciate" it.

Doubt that'll happen, but ok with, since waiting on engine builds sucks....

November is only 2 days away ;)

I dunno if Metalangelo will even chop on the 73, honestly, since all that's been bandied around is November of '15, after nagging Georg for a couple of years and Don this last.

Drivetrain will be complete and running, accept axles and whatever steering gearbox is determined to work.....after front axle location is finalized.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom