Builds Who likes addition? (FJ-60 + 1HZ) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just a quick update: lots of parts ordered, will be here later.

But the front axle is back from the blaster:

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1426562024.124328.jpg

Otherwise I've been busy planning for the next steps. :)

Dan

I spent most of the day working on various projects on the 60.

One I don't want to talk about yet, because it's a surprise. A very cool surprise. ;)

I removed the stock exhaust (love how rust free this truck is) and I made up the harness for the aux lights I will install on the bumper.

Dad's 61 has the same bumper (ARB) as I will use, so I made my harness plug into his--that way the aux lights are interchangeable between the two.

These are ridiculously bright LEDs. I'll get detail pics of them tomorrow. But even in the sunlight they are bright!
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1427258336.752498.jpg

Here's a sample tonight.

The truck has Roundeyes In it, here they are by themselves...
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1427258468.631359.jpg

The brights (high beams)...
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1427258488.774638.jpg

And the aux lights...
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1427258542.868837.jpg

I also fabricated a bracket for the center console I bought used a while ago. But I didn't take any pics of that.

I also got busy fixing my switch panel. It had cracked like all of them do, and it had two screw holes that had snapped off.

So I decided to refurbish it using an old cracked washer bottle.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1427258688.285342.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1427258704.426443.jpg

The cracked hole cleaned up...
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1427258728.921176.jpg

Epoxy applied...
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1427258762.054580.jpg

Plastic epoxied in place.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1427258787.133899.jpg

Tomorrow I will drill the holes out, and sand the epoxy back a bit, and I should get it painted too I think.

I also plan to swap the IPs on the 1HZ. Out with the old, in with the rebuilt...

Dan

Is that a factory oil cap with the chain on it?

Is that a factory oil cap with the chain on it?

It's a factory oil cap, that someone drilled a hole in and then attached the chain. I will almost certainly replace the cap with something without the chain. It's a decent idea I guess, but the execution isn't great and the chain seems to bind up a lot to me.

how are you going to set timing on this one .?

I set the timing straight to the factory timing marks.

Also.....

IT RUNS!

There's still air in the fuel lines, as you can see with the cheap see through filter I have just to watch for air. But it seems to run just fine, so the plan is now to replace the BEB's and run it as it is. Next week I will be working on the truck a good bit too, and I intend to get the motor mounts welded into the frame, and then I can put the engine on the engine stand and start cleaning it up and stuff (including all PM I can think of, like the timing belt), while I prepare the body for paint and stuff.

And here's a pic of the finished switch panel:

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1427334135.376132.jpg

And two flavors of CruiserCrap shift balls.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1427334158.086399.jpg

I haven't decided which this truck will get.

Dan

One I don't want to talk about yet, because it's a surprise. A very cool surprise. ;)

Still not talking about it.

But I did just order a whole bunch of really, really cool bits for this little surprise.

:flipoff2:

Dan

E-lockers? Cable lockers?! Air lockers? Beta-version Blackbox? 80 series chassis? Many possibilities...

Sorry if I missed it, but what year is the blue body/frame? If it's 85-87 you should have an easier time with the transmission side of things, bolt-in in fact, which will make the engine mount mock-up cake.

You probably already know this Dan, but for any one else ever considering a swap utilizing a 5 speed getting an 85-87 60 sure makes life easier.

Good to see it running, sounds fine.
Is it still a secret you are adding a third axle? :)

Compound turbos maybe?

Miss Dad's shop. That place is so perfect!

It's a bit cramped at the moment, but it really is the best thing ever.

It's only a matter of time before I build a shop up here (and then look out world--not having to travel 500 miles to wrench...), but I will build bigger, and I know the mistakes we made building that one.

But first...a house needs to be built....

Third axle? Compound turbos? Good ideas, but not my style.

If I pull this little surprise off (I will, it's just a matter of how elegantly) I will boldly predict that it will become de riguer for 60s. ;)

I've been thinking about this little project since I got my first 60 in 2010.... And I've mocked some of it up, to test it's feasibility--and so far I must say I see no reason this won't work.

Dan

Yup - lots of good things happen at the shop. Hearing yet another of Dan's diesels (stored at the shop) running well is a real kick!
We miss you at the shop, Onur. I've been following your incredible 60 build. Getting lots of great ideas from you!!

Barry (Dan's dad)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom