Fox IFP Shocks for the 80, Available (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thanks for this " review " judging by your pics looks like the fronts are tad shorter than L and the rears bit longer..?

thanks for this " review " judging by your pics looks like the fronts are tad shorter than L and the rears bit longer..?

Without flexing the setup I don't want to say the rears aren't right on, honestly im a rookie. I will however try to flex it out when I find a place.

Is there a length difference between the front and rears or length difference between your Fox's and OME L's?

These lengths should be correct now but don't bet the farm on them.

Cruiser shocks done.jpg

Last edited:
"""""In retrospect the rears should probably be the shorter FOX for a 850J/863 setup as they are still longer than the OME L they replaced.""""""

Edit: I recant this statement as my original data was incorrect. the FOX rear shocks are really only .75 inches longer, not 2.25, But they still seem too long.

Last edited:
That's exactly what I was thinking.

I just called Fox today, and got a cutaway schematic of their the 80 front shock. It really does not mean much to me, but PM me if you want it). They said that the valving is pretty heavy, and should provide a better ride for a heavier versus a lighter vehicle on the highway, but not knowing 80s specifically, it was pointless to talk to them about on vs off road, what accessories we have, etc. (Edit:) Guy confirmed that these shocks are fully rebuildable, but you gotta send them in to do so.

Comparisons in length from OME and Fox specs:

Shock OME Nitro Sport FOX IFP 2.0
PN 60018 (Front) 985-24-070 Front
Extended 24.3" (617mm) 24.85
Compressed 14.1" (359mm) 14.75

So the Fox is a bit longer, more attention may need to be paid to bump stops (do you need BS extensions with a 2.5" lift?)

Screw it. I'm gonna get the Foxs and see how they go. I'm about to install a total frankenlift anyway (Iron man 2.5 front springs, OME 860 rears, 60020 rear shocks, then the foxes.)

So OK, it took a while for me to install these front Foxes, just did two weeks ago prior to our Roundup in TX with the rest of my Frankenlift (see sig).
My baseline for comparison is crap, as I had oem Tokina shocks on original OEM springs with 30MM spacers (don't know how many miles were on the shocks, my truck has 267K on the clock, purchased at 179K and hadn't changed them.) The ride over bumps of all sorts now is very nice with the front Ironman springs. I've not done caster correction, but I was pleasantly surprised that the truck still has great highway manners.

I did not get a chance to really work them out in Mason at Roundup - I came down sick as a dog with Bronchitis after burning the candle at both ends the week prior to the trip. Very mild wheeling for me, but what I did do was very easy with the newly installed 2.5" lift.as compared to last year with the 1" lift.

Around corners, it is a bit boat-like. Not bad, but definitely can tell we moved the COG up a few inches. All told, I am very satisfied at this point.

So I am pulling the trigger on a 850/860 spring setup. I have no bumpers now but they are in the future, in which case I would add spacers to compensate or upgrade springs. Running 315s. I was wondering if I can get away with the longer FOX shocks with the 850/860 setup. If I want to go higher in the future, I don't want to have to buy new springs AND shocks. Obviously I know I will need to drop my bumps, which I think I would anyway with the 315s.

Want a decent lift without a monster truck, hoping to not get into vibe/DS issues I am afraid of with an 850j/863 setup, but I don't want to limit myself if I want to go higher in the future.

edit:
Those running OME 850/860 combo, please advise.

According to this thread, looks like people recommending the L shocks for the 850/860 setup without issues, so I think I should be ok. Anyone confirm this?

You will have no problem .. actually the longer fox are pretty short on front for anything over 3" rears are another story and I strongly recommend you pay attention to your bump stops in the rear if you decide for this route ..

I ordered 4 of these over two months ago from autoanything, and kept getting the back ordered email. Less than a week ago I called Down South, found out they had them on the shelf and ordered through them. Just installed today. They are pretty sweet. I went with the longer ones front and rear. Running OME 850/863j's for both. The OME shocks were completely done, I could easily compress them and they wouldn't rebound. They were about 10 years old. The Fox's were really stiff, I got creative with bailing wire to compress them enough to fit, and then cut it as everything was in place. Initial impressions are that these shocks are awesome!

I ordered 4 of these over two months ago from autoanything, and kept getting the back ordered email. Less than a week ago I called Down South, found out they had them on the shelf and ordered through them. Just installed today. They are pretty sweet. I went with the longer ones front and rear. Running OME 850/863j's for both. The OME shocks were completely done, I could easily compress them and they wouldn't rebound. They were about 10 years old. The Fox's were really stiff, I got creative with bailing wire to compress them enough to fit, and then cut it as everything was in place. Initial impressions are that these shocks are awesome!
Nice! That's funny, I just finished installing mine too today. I got the 076s (longer) in front and 073s (normal) in the rear. They replaced my TJM shorty 9-way shocks. Took a quick drive to feel them out and I'm impressed. Firm but not jarring. Gained 2" of travel up front and 1" in the back.

Did you extend the rear bump stop? How much?

Nice! That's funny, I just finished installing mine too today. I got the 076s (longer) in front and 073s (normal) in the rear. They replaced my TJM shorty 9-way shocks. Took a quick drive to feel them out and I'm impressed. Firm but not jarring. Gained 2" of travel up front and 1" in the back.

Did you extend the rear bump stop? How much?
What springs are you running?
Why the different length shocks?
How many miles did your TJM adjustable shocks last(assuming not long seeing as they've only been out for a couple years)?

My truck is now officially a frankenlift.
Front I have
TJM 2" 770FR80C coils (20mm spacer DS 10mm spacer PS)
Fox 2.0 076 shocks
2" MT sway spacer
TJM rubber 2.5*? hi flex caster bushings
LCP disconnects

Rear
OME 863 coils with 5mm spacer
Fox 2.0 073 shocks w/ guards
1" homemade fender washer bump stop spacer
2" Slee sway spacer

Longer OEM brake hoses, everything else stock. 285s. My measurements have been consistent throughout trying to figure how to optimize my 2.5" suspension. Thanks to you, GW, Qball, and other mud members, you guys gave a lot of info on here.

The rear FOX longer 087 shocks are just too long at compression. 1.5" longer than Ls. Also, I believe they would unseat the 863s and I didn't feel like addressing that. I have 33s so there's no reason to restrict my up travel. If you look at wheel travel going from sitting on your bumpstops down to fully extending your shocks, then I have a 16"-25.95" front stroke and around 16.25"-25.15" rear travel. My shocks sit right in the middle at 21" on the truck at ride height.

The TJM Tigers handled really well on pavement in turns, that is by far far their best strength. The adjustability does work too. But off pavement, they leave you wanting more. Hits are sharp and jarring, even opened up to 1 or 2. I put 10k miles on them, with a good 1,000 miles off road. In reality, I got sway disconnects from Phil, which justified me needing longer front shocks:), nothing impressed me about the Tiger shocks, so I bought some new shocks. If they did make Tiger longs I wouldn't have wanted them, the Foxs looked good and were not too pricey. I gotta get out today and take some poser shots!

Is anyone running 850J/863J with these shocks on a fairly heavy 80 (4x4labs dual swing outs/Front ARB with winch/sliders)?
I am thinking of getting these, but don't know how they will feel with the weight.
Note I do not baja my 80, Nice and slow trail riding with big rocks, not small rocks at 40 mph.

I have a 850j/863j's On my 97. Running an ARB bumper up front with warn 9k. No rear bumper, but do have a drawer setup in the back. I just installed these last night an they're night and day compared to my 10 year old blown out OME's. I plan on cruising some logging roads this weekend to see how it really does. Question about bump stops- if my rears are longer than my old shocks, more travel, why would I need to mess with bump stops? Just a little confused.

I have a 850j/863j's On my 97. Running an ARB bumper up front with warn 9k. No rear bumper, but do have a drawer setup in the back. I just installed these last night an they're night and day compared to my 10 year old blown out OME's. I plan on cruising some logging roads this weekend to see how it really does. Question about bump stops- if my rears are longer than my old shocks, more travel, why would I need to mess with bump stops? Just a little confused.
Because if the shocks are too long you will crush them. Idk if yours are actually too long or not, just saying.

I don't get it. Up top in that chart there are two different FOX front shock numbers, with two different length and compression figures. Then there is a rear shock section, with identical PN's for the FOX shocks, yet two different lengths for compression and rebound. I must be missing something.

I would like to add a set of FOX to my 80 series. I have 850J up front and the 863 in rear on 315's. Curious what PN I would run with this current setup and if there is a different option if I decided to throw in a set of 30mm spacers ?

I don't get it. Up top in that chart there are two different FOX front shock numbers, with two different length and compression figures. Then there is a rear shock section, with identical PN's for the FOX shocks, yet two different lengths for compression and rebound. I must be missing something.

I would like to add a set of FOX to my 80 series. I have 850J up front and the 863 in rear on 315's. Curious what PN I would run with this current setup and if there is a different option if I decided to throw in a set of 30mm spacers ?

@superjuice gives the part numbers for us on the previous page of this thread. i was confused by all of this initially as well, but for autoanything, you can just search by part number. I just put a set of the shorter (073's) on my cruiser this week. Here's his part # breakdown, along with lift height info:

"Well I just placed my order, picked up the longer ones. $416 total shipped from auto anything (coupon feb20) but you have to search for them as a 2000 landcruiser.

Part Number from Fox's website for a 89-97 land cruiser.
Toyota Land Cruiser 80 Series 4WD 1997-1989 Front 1-2.5" 985-24-070
Toyota Land Cruiser 80 Series 4WD 1997-1989 Front 3-4" 985-24-076
Toyota Land Cruiser 80 Series 4WD 1997-1989 Rear 1.5-2.5" 985-24-073
Toyota Land Cruiser 80 Series 4WD 1997-1989 Rear 3-5" 985-24-087"

Fox has the lengths w/part numbers on their site. For MAXIMUM use of the length of shocks, you need to know your MAXIMUM compressed & extended length of your springs. Then you can decide if you want bump-stops to keep tires from rubbing. Generally, w/2.5"+ lift, 33's won't rub much @ all, 35's enough for a small (~1") bump, 37's enough for medium/large (~2"+) bump. YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom