Fox IFP Shocks for the 80, Available (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My OME's handle large whoops good but things like railroad tracks are so harsh if feels like my truck will break in half. It's when the shock has to compress quickly, or extend quickly, where it fails miserably. When I go over a speed bump its pathetic. I have about 7K miles on them.

My OME's handle large whoops good but things like railroad tracks are so harsh if feels like my truck will break in half. It's when the shock has to compress quickly, or extend quickly, where it fails miserably. When I go over a speed bump its pathetic. I have about 7K miles on them.

I think you'll like the fox, speed bumps and curbs has that nicely damped feel. It really take that sharp edge off even though the overall ride is fairly firm.

I loaded the back with a little less than 200lbs of stuff for donation and it did make the ride a bit smoother. I guess they are designed for 200+ lbs if extra load. But I also don't have anything else including third road seats.

...Misspelled via IH8MUD app

this might have been asked already. but how do these compare to the Icon shocks that area about the same price? i am thinking about a mid priced shock a little nicer than OME or Tiger.

this might have been asked already. but how do these compare to the Icon shocks that area about the same price? i am thinking about a mid priced shock a little nicer than OME or Tiger.

Anybody have thoughts on this? Are they both IFP shocks? Rebuildable? I understand valving will be dependent on manufacturer so ride will be subjective, but is there anything else to compare?

Are you running OME older shocks or the newer OME Sport shocks?

Newer. About 7-8 months old and ~7K miles.

Interesting observation you made of your shocks. My 80 is around 7,000lbs so I don't notice the same harshness as you do.

Interesting observation you made of your shocks. My 80 is around 7,000lbs so I don't notice the same harshness as you do.
Mine is stock plus sliders and minus 3rd row seats.

I forgot to mention that I"m also running Slee 4" springs. 400 lb/in rear, 250 lb/in front, if I'm not mistaken with those specs.

Thinking about pulling the trigger on the 2.0 IFP. I'm running 850j in the front and 863 in the rear, should I go for the 1-2.5" or 3-4/5" setup? My rig is a DD and I don't plan on gong any taller but never say never right. On sale for $116.99 each on autoanything BTW.

Thinking about pulling the trigger on the 2.0 IFP. I'm running 850j in the front and 863 in the rear, should I go for the 1-2.5" or 3-4/5" setup? My rig is a DD and I don't plan on gong any taller but never say never right. On sale for $116.99 each on autoanything BTW.
I'd say go for it man I love mine... of course what I'm comparing them too is 200k old Mr.T's... but I've had just about every other brand of shock on different rigs and these seem to handle this pig well. Take that for what it is..

Installed mine on Saturday. Took about 1 hour for front and rear for someone who has never replaced shocks before. I did the springs last month and was riding on old shocks still. Super easy install, but I did have to cut a bolt off on the PS front top mount and the DS front top was a bit of a bitch due to my XL hands and the brake stuff in the way. Drove them around on the beach for a few minutes and hit some dips in my street pretty hard. Digging them so far for sure. Hoping to wheel with them this weekend to really see how much of an improvement it will be from my 10+ year old stockish shocks.

So far I would definitely recommend them and would buy them again if I were to to it all over. Now I need to look into extending bump stops and checking castor.

I sold an ARB bumper last night so I'm shopping for new shocks! I sent an offer of $225/pair shipped to DSM via the ebay link, hoping they take it.

Edit: they counteroffered at $230/pair, sold.

Last edited:
Sorry for the anecdotal bit but the head engineer at icon wheels an 80 himself. Something to consider?

This is a pic of his rig at icon hq. Great team there.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417833709.260318.jpg

Looking to bring a set back to aus for my hzj80 was hoping someone could point me in the right direction for what springs to match the shocks with? At the moment she has fairly old ome 2 inch springs and some auper s***ty kyb shocks the previous owner put in. Basically the truck sees some daily driver duties and weekend trips and is setup fairly light with a steel comp bar up front and the ride is so harsh im constantly re tightening pieces of trim and closing me eyes when I see an expansion joint in the road.

Thinking about going the 2 inch ifp's and castor bushes to suit and whatever spring combo is going to give me the best possible ride

I just fit Fox from Down South.

I have 863J's in the rear. I had OME L shocks before. I have an unknown front coil with a 2" metaltech spacer, truck sits 1* from level. I removed the OME shocks and flexed up the truck taking measurements. Turns out a 12" shocks is right for me. Down South had to build these for me since Fox doesn't offer an off the shelf in 12" for the 80. I had them valve them pretty stiff as my truck is heavy and not a hardcore wheeler. Fox also measures their shocks a little odd. With the adapters the fronts are a little longer than a 12". Down South let me know all this before I purchased. I knew I would be losing 1" in up but no probs because I measured and the shocks have 4.5" up in front and I have 4" to the bump so all good. In the rear I have 5.5" of up. I got the guards for the rear.

Only had a little bit of seat time with them but so far I am liking them a lot.

10906150_10200124285747832_6673883093155206274_n.jpg

10885377_10200124286307846_4685079043829833640_n.jpg

In the rear I would really like to get the reservoir up high and mounted on the chassis above the axle. To do this though it looks like I need to weld a bar to mount them to up in there or figure out another mounting method.

Cheers

Front suspension near full compression. I might have been able to get it to stuff a little more if the truck wasnt empty.

IMG_20140820_124404
by RickaShay24, on Flickr

No PN's yet.

Hard to tell, the pic is very dark but it looks like you have more than an inch to the bump. More like 2+ inches. That is what you want to be looking at for compression, bump limits your up. Might take a lot to get it there but it will go there, unloaded too. The dunes is a very good way to find out. I have stuffed my 35's in the dunes a lot farther and a lot faster than on any rocks. High speed heavy compression will do that.

All you guys who just buy "kits" really should be measuring your travel with no shocks in the truck. Take the shocks out, flex the front and rear until it is on the bumps or drooped all the way. Measure, then shop for shocks. Places like Down South are supplying an off the shelf shock but you have to understand this shock is made to cover a wide range of set ups. Weight, lift, travel all comes into play. They built me the 12" for $950 delivered, valved to my requests. An off the shelf would have been to short, only way I knew this was to flex and measure with no shocks in it.

Cheers

Looking to bring a set back to aus for my hzj80 was hoping someone could point me in the right direction for what springs to match the shocks with? At the moment she has fairly old ome 2 inch springs and some auper ****ty kyb shocks the previous owner put in. Basically the truck sees some daily driver duties and weekend trips and is setup fairly light with a steel comp bar up front and the ride is so harsh im constantly re tightening pieces of trim and closing me eyes when I see an expansion joint in the road.

Thinking about going the 2 inch ifp's and castor bushes to suit and whatever spring combo is going to give me the best possible ride

I brought a set of Kings in from Down South, Just remember when buying, there was around 350 in freight and if they are over a grand you pay import duty. I just brought old man emu coils for mine and they work very well, they would be similar set up as fox. The coils have to be matched to the weight of the car so just go into the local arb and they will work it out for you. should be around $500 for the set. If you can Find the money id recommend king shocks from down south, there amazing how they make the old 80 ride and handle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom