The welders thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

welds are very nice but not seeing the wire part of the foodwarmer... :)

There is , I believe a water-cooled version of the flex-loc torch - just have to look at their site . I need to get a higher rated one for my Dynasty 200DX as I've been running it a lot lately at 180+ amps and have to swap the old Weldcraft torch for the CK . Can't wait to get the Steady Grip and try it , be nice to have a trigger operated control instead of some fumbling rotary or linear slide when I can't use the pedal . I've had to use my pedal between my knees a few times while laying down , not easy to control the amperage tightly that way . I really need to get a cooler , but also would like to trade my 200 in for the newer 280 - but that's not going to be cheap as mine's an '07 model .
Sarge

There is , I believe a water-cooled version of the flex-loc torch - just have to look at their site . I need to get a higher rated one for my Dynasty 200DX as I've been running it a lot lately at 180+ amps and have to swap the old Weldcraft torch for the CK . Can't wait to get the Steady Grip and try it , be nice to have a trigger operated control instead of some fumbling rotary or linear slide when I can't use the pedal . I've had to use my pedal between my knees a few times while laying down , not easy to control the amperage tightly that way . I really need to get a cooler , but also would like to trade my 200 in for the newer 280 - but that's not going to be cheap as mine's an '07 model .
Sarge

Thanks for the information, I have experienced similar conditions with the foot control....PITA.
Keep us posted on your torch addition. I'm very intrested.

made myself a mig welder- a little noisy to use and not the prettiest welds but does the job and keeps burritos warm when the top is on:

View attachment 1028711

Are you saying that this is a Mig weld?

And that the first picture is of something that uses a bottle and wire feed mechanism.

And that you did this yourself?

Soapstone or Silver Streak?

Lincoln Precision Tig 225

newlinkintig5.JPG

newlinkintig.JPG

newlinkintig3.JPG

newlinkintig4.JPG

Picked it up on CL for $1000 bucks from a local who had just upgraded to a Miller Sync 350 and didn't need it anymore :)

It was mint (just a few weeks old) and best of all still under warranty for the next 3 years :cool:

Laid down these beads right in his garage and I was sold :)

newlinkintig7.JPG

Also have a Lincoln Power Mig 255 (heavy stuff), a Century 110 Mig (sheet metal) and a few old Arc stick machines somewhere in the back of my shop.

Been welding since I was 12, so that's about 26 years of backyard boogerwelds :hillbilly:

Only been using the Tig for about 5 years though.

Umm, previous projects?

Here'an old minichopper I threw together using nothing but scrap in the shop and a brand new snow blower engine :smokin: (all Mig)

Been using a millermatic 175 for 10 years. It started giving me fits so I upgraded to this. I think I'm in love. Now I've got to build a dual tank cart.
image.jpg

Run the snot out of it - give me some feedback as I've been eyeballing that rig for awhile now . Not real fond of that display as that type has a habit of getting very dim over time and I'm half blind already . Wish it had a bit more tig setting available but I already have a Dynasty 200DX here anyway . I just wonder about it's raw power vs duty cycle - see if it runs out of steam above 150a or so like most of the 200a rated inverter units ....?
I really wish they would put an ac capability in the XMT series , they are the most diverse units built .
Nice score , btw .

Sarge

I'm welding a cage right now so will update on how it does. Business is good, I'm swamped and looking for more help. I'm not a fan of buying new since new usually is not as good as old. But in the instance of welders I don't think that is true unless we are talking about buzz boxes.

Been using a millermatic 175 for 10 years. It started giving me fits so I upgraded to this. I think I'm in love. Now I've got to build a dual tank cart.
View attachment 1040723

HMMM... From looking at those settings.. you are about 3-4 volts and ~ 200 IPM low on WFS for 3/8" mild steel using .035" wire and a 75/25 cover gas.

You can check your WFS/IPM to the digital reading simply by pulling the trigger for 15 seconds. Measure that wire length and multiply x 4. That will give you the overall IPM/WFS for your current setting. If it is way off, take it to your LWS tech for re-cal. Sorry, but those numbers don't look right at all to me. I weld 3/16" MS almost that hot/fast

J

Last edited:
I run a 350P @ 425 IPM with .035 on 1/4" mild (95/10 shield). It does seem slow, nice unit tho.

Lincoln Precision Tig 225

newlinkintig5.JPG

newlinkintig.JPG

newlinkintig3.JPG

newlinkintig4.JPG

Picked it up on CL for $1000 bucks from a local who had just upgraded to a Miller Sync 350 and didn't need it anymore :)

It was mint (just a few weeks old) and best of all still under warranty for the next 3 years :cool:

Laid down these beads right in his garage and I was sold :)

newlinkintig7.JPG

Also have a Lincoln Power Mig 255 (heavy stuff), a Century 110 Mig (sheet metal) and a few old Arc stick machines somewhere in the back of my shop.

Been welding since I was 12, so that's about 26 years of backyard boogerwelds :hillbilly:

Only been using the Tig for about 5 years though.

Umm, previous projects?

Here'an old minichopper I threw together using nothing but scrap in the shop and a brand new snow blower engine :smokin: (all Mig)

AWESOME DEAL SNAKE!

Hell even came with beer holders...

J
15.png

Last edited:
I run a 350P @ 425 IPM with .035 on 1/4" mild (95/10 shield). It does seem slow, nice unit tho.

NICE^^ we both run a little warmer than most...

I run a 350 XMT with pulse converter and run 23-25V @ 470-500 IPM (pending position) / .035 on 3/8" mild and 75/25 cover gas.

J

This 6" channel dump trailer frame was welded at 425IPM pulsed (whip motion). The vertical up was ran at 375 IPM (fast) circular semi "J" motion.
all overhead welding on same project done between 350-375 IPM depending on length of bead. Hotter the better so long undercut can be controlled.
(the hinge pin weld and hinge base weld are not mine as these parts came with hoist kit). reevesci, I have had the privilege of running a 350 XMT...very nice machine.
20150227_154746.jpg
20150227_155133.jpg
20150301_163950.jpg

This 6" channel dump trailer frame was welded at 425IPM pulsed (whip motion). The vertical up was ran at 375 IPM (fast) circular semi "J" motion.
all overhead welding on same project done between 350-375 IPM depending on length of bead. Hotter the better so long undercut can be controlled.
(the hinge pin weld and hinge base weld are not mine as these parts came with hoist kit). reevesci, I have had the privilege of running a 350 XMT...very nice machine.
View attachment 1041990 View attachment 1041991 View attachment 1041994

Nice ^^^ It is a good machine. I have had it since 2008 and hasn't failed me yet. I bought it of course for multiple process, but the aluminum mig feature along with the multi-process was one of the best on the market at the time.

My old beater.. HA!

P1050344.JPG

.500" to .250" (practicing my MIG like TIG)

DSCF2568.JPG

.500" to .188"

P1010604.JPG

.625" to .320" (little cold)

P1050333.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom