The welders thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

UnderDawg

Wannabe welder
Threads
Thought it was time to start one since we have some fabrication finally going on here.

Post up your machine make, model, preferred wire
Pictures of said machine(s)
Picture of a nice bead
What your experience level is
Pictures of current or past projects

And of course tech on general set up and operations

This should be informative and help out the noobs... such as myself. I'm still learning and will continue to do so for a long time to come.

Let the games begin.

I'm too lazy to go take pics. Miller 175 is my mig. I am a big fan of miller products. Harbor freight wire, lol. Mig is as far as I have experience with. Tig would be cool to learn but a major investment.
Not as much as you may think check this out
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H2VETB6/?tag=ihco-20
Everlast Makes some decent machines for beginners. I've been toying with the idea of getting one. Its got a high frequency start too.

Millermatic 140. My preferred wire is anything I can find laying around that resembles wire.

No pictures of my setup but it's nothing special.

And some nice beads of mine. It looks ok now after a ton of grinding.

8PlxoEC.jpg

Millermatic 140. My preferred wire is anything I can find laying around that resembles wire.

No pictures of my setup but it's nothing special.

And some nice beads of mine. It looks ok now after a ton of grinding.

8PlxoEC.jpg

Thats about what I figured

Up until recently I had a MM 185 wire feed machine. I bought it new when I worked at Avalanche Eng. in Durango back in mid 1996. It was lost when we moved to our new house a month ago. Needless to say I want to get a replacement but now I think I want to try a TIG welder. Insurance is paying :)

Lincoln 180 dual running on 220 with .035 75/25 gas.

Been welding off and on for 10 years I guess. 6010 7018 and wirefeed, but recently more than ever. Still working on it.

I hate fluxcore for anything but welding in the wind...

Maybe I should add I'm a mechanic and not a welder for a reason :D

Last edited:
I have a Thermal Arc 400GMS TIG MIG and Stick

A Millermatic 180 MIG

And a GoWeld Portable MIG Welder

(oh and an oxy-acetylene too)

I'm not the best welder by a long shot but I'm a cheap bastard so I figure by buying a welder (or 3) I can save myself a ton of cash and have the satisfaction of building my own equipment. Nothing like the smell of molten metal! Mmmm

The Goweld is an amazing tool and although it's never saved my butt while up in the hills it has helped a few of my buddies make it back home... and a few fellow wheelers as well.

The Millermatic 180 is my go to welder. Has plenty of power for the diy guy and lays down a pretty nice bead too. The auto set feature is nice and seems to work well. Just set the dial to what wire size you're using and the thickness of the metal and it'll set the speed and voltage for you.

I love my Thermal arc too. I usually just pull that out for the really heavy stuff 3/8"+ I can attach the goweld to it and use it as a spool gun, or do TIG or Stick with it. Got it at a pawn shop for next to nothing... couldn't pass it up!

Goweld.jpg

Ramsey 099.jpg

IMG_6538.JPG

2008 JKU Rubicon (171).JPG
I know I know it's a Jeep! Haven't got around to building the bumpers for the 80 yet... here's the rear bumper I built with the Thermal Arc/ GoWeld Combo

DSC_4671.JPG
Here's the set of sliders I built with the Millermatic 180 for the 80.

Last edited:
That go weld is on the list. Thats a slick piece of kit.

Keep it coming

Here's mine. Hobart 140 Lincoln 170t. Hobarts used mainly for tacks or sheet metal with flux core. Lincoln is used for everything else. I've been pretending to be a welder more and lately with doing the racks. I really enjoy fabricating work. Looking at a arc/tig box to try my hand at that. When I had disco's I use to make guys bumpers and sliders all the time. Now im an official Toyota guy and have been for awhile.

1410959544913.jpg

1410959559826.jpg

1410959880088.jpg

1410959921179.jpg

1410959945919.jpg

That go weld is on the list. Thats a slick piece of kit.

Keep it coming

Love it! Never leave home without it!

If I were to buy one now I would really consider the ready welder ( http://readywelder.com/ ) due to it's smaller size and the fact that the tip gets hot only when you pull the trigger. Not sure if the GoWeld has changed that feature or not since I purchased mine but it can be blinding when you hit the tip up against the work piece when you're not ready since it's tip is always hot. As for the quality of the GoWeld I'm pretty impressed with it. Ive had it for about 10 years now and it still works as good as day one... I've put it through some abuse during those 10 years too.

Mm210 when I had a garage and / or worked in a shop.

Hobart140 w flux core when I had to throw it in a truck and go places.

Mm175 I borrowed for a few months after I sold the mm210

Currently Hobart 190.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Mm210 when I had a garage and / or worked in a shop.

Hobart140 w flux core when I had to throw it in a truck and go places.

Mm175 I borrowed for a few months after I sold the mm210

Currently Hobart 190.View attachment 943726View attachment 943728 View attachment 943729View attachment 943731
Your my welding hero Booger. Is that the new bumper you've been working on?
Thats my favorite front bumper too... bink right? I think I have some of his old stuff saved in pc to borrow ideas from. I also dig the shamrock... that was the name of my old business. I've revealed to much :hmm:

How do you get those beads to look so good? Share some knowledge bro.

Last edited:
No, that's one of the 8 or 9 I built at binks shop. He has a plasma table so it was a much better fit up.

My current one is a PITA! Shear bends/twists the skinnier sections so they don't fit well at all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom