What is the value of a rusty BJ45 (pics+videos) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

I just had a look at a BJ45. It has been sitting 4 weeks in the cold and started right up at +5 degC. Engine runs very good. It has a mileage of 180000 km - approx 110000 mi.

Based on the following uploads (both videos and pictures which can be zoomed):

https://plus.google.com/photos/112669300518977811960/albums/6085960507167345585

This might look awful to many of you, but this is the result of salty Scandinavian roads.

1. What is the value of the car?
2. How much money needs to be spent to make a full restoration (at a company who is specialized in restoring J4's)?

Lucas

5,000$?
Full restore 15-20?

Proud owner of Beast. 77 BJ40

man that's a lot of rust..

That, is stupid..

Lucas,

It all depends on where you live, how much time and money you want to spend, and the final results you want to see.
If you are in Scandinavia, that may well be the going price for a truck in that condition.
For those of us in a more desert climate, both that truck and the price would be unacceptable.

Properly repairing such a truck would be far less expensive in a third-world country, than it would be in a modern economy. How much labor you personally put into the project can help trim the costs.

In a salty seaside environment or a snowy area with lots of road-melting chemicals, using a restored truck, once you are done, while keeping it in great condition, requires sacrifices.

Your best bet is to get well-acquainted with the market (prices and condition) where you live, and think about a budget for time and money for the finished project you want, before you jump in and buy something. You might have fellow enthusiasts where you live who can help guide you in your purchase. Good luck.

Is there a company offering a totally new upper part = body incl doors, hood, roof etc? So you would not have to mess with your welder, sandblasting etc and just throw out the old rusty body? What would that cost?

Why would you buy a frame and motor for 10K?

Aqualu makes (essentially) entire bodies. You can build a 40 with their parts that won't ever rust. Motor/trans/tcase will be whatever you want.

http://www.aqualu.com/usd-price-list.html

I agree that it is rusty, but I'm going to disagree with everyone's valuations here. I think the truck is worth far closer to the 10k, than 5k. If you post this up in the 45 section, where people are more versed with 45's & troopys in general, I think you'll get more answers that agree with me. A LHD Diesel troopy carries a ton of value, just in the rarity, and although rusty, this looks like a good driver. I'd be willing to bet money that you could sell the rolling chasis for 5k here without even trying (3b/powersteering/troopy frame that runs/drives, with the 1ton FF axles, etc..). Then you still have a ton of usable parts, and troopy only parts on there that also carry value.

Can you confirm if it is a 5 speed model, vs. 4speed? If I were you, I would take it somewhere with a strong power washer & spray the hell out of it underneath & everywhere to get a better idea of its true condition. I see a lot of salt & road garbage that makes it hard to tell just how bad the rust is underneath.
Best,
Abe

How much of your labour and money do you want to invest in this thing ? I'm betting the frame is gone. are there any decent cruisers around. Can you afford to put your money toward an import from japan or else where that you won't have to do as much '' rebuild''.
If your always working on the truck then you must be single or willing not to date !
from the pictures it looks poorly repaired.

the frame looks a little crusty at the frame horns and back to the fenders ... before discussing price I'd want to crawl under it and do a thorough look over of the frame ... people can ask whatever they want, the reality is make an offer if you're so inclined once you've done the research ...

I looked at a 79 BJ40 (2nd owner) that had sat for years and looked a lot like that ... it was fixable, but not worth $12k ... the guy wouldn't budge from $12k ... there were better value options ...

45s are really hard to find here, so I guess what it comes down to is what's the market where you are, how much is it worth to you, how much time do you have, what's the availability of parts, and how much money do you have ... bottom line is, you need something to work with ...

Living on the coast, that doesn't look as bad as I would've thought. 12,500 US, not in my lifetime... 6-7 k perhaps, but I'd keep looking. I'd import a rust free truck from somewhere else before I'd take on a project that big.

I think the truck is worth far closer to the 10k, than 5k.

It would be worth $10k, but half the metal is rusted away, so $5k. Look at the frame pics. Where do you think you're going to find a troopy frame? They don't exactly show up on craigslist.

Personally, I don't think that the frame is roached out. It might be, but I can't tell, which is why I suggested getting it sprayed out under there really well. With all of the salt rime & surface rust, it is hard for me to tell the exact condition of the frame. I don't think that I see any holes thought, or really bad rust. If you look at pic # 54, of the frame vin number, you can see (I think) where the frame was primed & painted at some point (ground off in that pic so you can see the vin better). Most of what I think people see as rust holes & such, I think is just the rust preventative paint peeling up, coupled with salt rime & surface rust. Does the truck have a lot of rust, most definitely. Does it need work, yes again. But being a LHD, Diesel Troopy with Power Steering, I still think it's value is much closer to 10k than 5. I've seen rusty, no-engine RHD Troopies go for 5k on here in years past.

This is a crap ton of bondo with even more rust under it. You are looking at a "new" paint job that the rust has eaten through again..

https%253A%252F%252Flh4.googleusercontent.com%252FMHCidMNT2DksIxdbhPtO8PUt_tLqK8QqWCrVUee18yg%253Ds0-d

Yuck

https%253A%252F%252Flh4.googleusercontent.com%252FmzfpmJHBfkIN-WteOmJmcp5VahdQ7iIOfkjIoRMSli0%253Ds0-d

Tie rod is new though, so it has that going for it..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom