Time for an axle rebuild? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BGMachine

Working on cars I can't afford
Threads
Hey all,

I was noticing some things with my front axle and I was wondering if they were signs that it was in need of a rebuild. The first thing I noticed is that occasionally while driving over 60mph I'll hear and feel what sounds like a rubbing bearing coming from the front right wheel. almost like it's not greased enough. Today I looked at the back of the birfield and saw some grease on the back. Is that normal? Or are these all signs that I need to rebuild the knuckle and bearings? Thanks for the help.

birfield_zps03cf7417.jpg

Once cleaned enough to find the birf fill port, pull the plug and look inside to see if you have any grease in there. Or, maybe squeeze a little in there to see if the rubbing subsides.

It's usually a square plug, just unscrew it and put about half a tub in each side. Should be upper towards the front. Atleast it is on mini trucks

That is some serious dirt build up. A bit of grease is normal, but don't use regular axle grease in the knuckle. Get some moly fortified grease.

Dude...that looks dry! Gotta cleanse and lube that crevice! :eek:

Last edited:
Dude, What Booger weldz said and I am still laughing…

Shoving grease in that port is not at all going to address it's absence inside the birfield.

That's like trying to cut your pubes to make your wiener look bigger...
While I agree....um well...kinda sorta. If they (birfs,wiener,pubes) have been neglected for along time then you in for a nasty possibly bloody job. Get atleast 4 rolls of napkins, moly grease, rebuild kit, and a straight razor. Come on Booger, pubes were so 80's, thought you Cali boys were the trend setters? You gone cause this fella his frank and beans.

Wait, so wat kinda grease do I need for my pubes? Hi tack?

Now we're talking!!!

Thread...jack... Over

A couple knowlegables on here have proven that adding grease thru the top port does in fact work its way into the bell of the birf, the other thing you should do is make sure your diff is full of gear oil. if both are getting dry you will get some strange vibes and noises. also once both are full you quickly find out if your axle seal is toast cuz if it is gone you will quickly have a fair bit of the solution all over the that axle housing

Probably too late, but Valvoline Palladium is a good moly fortified and regularly available at NAPA.

Any lube is better than no lube. Especially when you're talking about having your shaft properly lubed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom