Bean! My FJ60 build and adventure (16 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice Cruiser! I especially like the very first pic with the deer poking it's head out the window. That one I would blow up and frame.

Very nice conversion, in particular the engine mounts. Don't know how many swaps I have seen that use the ultra junkie AA mounts. What your guy built is 100x better.

I didn't read the whole thread. Not sure on what air bags you picked but they look like Airlifts. Dump those the first chance you get. Worst air bag out there in my opinion. I had Airlifts in my 04 Tacoma, drove it to Panama and back. Your air bags look exactly like the ones I had in my Taco. The plastic piece (looks to be at the bottom of your airbag) will break and create sharp edges. This will put holes in the bag when it flexes. It may take some time to break but it will break and there will be plastic knives there to pop the air bag. Mine was fine until loaded to the hilt and headed through Baja, rough roads and it was toasted. I kept putting tire plugs in the bags to keep them going but in the end they just plain sucked badly. I even had a spare set shipped down south while traveling, same problem. Got home, put in Firestone air bags with a new and improved custom mounting system. Not a single issue after that. Including a 2nd trip to Panama. I also think that is an odd place for the airbag. And that is the exact same place my first set were mounted which I believe exaggerates the problem.

Fixing the air bags in Baja....

Now maybe I am way off base and if so I apologize for going off in your thread. But those sure look like Airlifts and I would throw those in the garbage!

Also, have you weighed the truck? Front and rear? if so how heavy is it? It looks to be every bit of 7,000lbs.

Cheers

Up above on the post I made on the airbags I included all of the brand and part # and link info for ya....but they were sold by AIRoverLeaf and had Firestone branding stickers on them. I'll let y'all know how they work out for me long term

My truck tips the scale @ 6750lbs full loaded with gas, water and dog :)

Tor killed it today and got the Speedhut GPS speedo and Quad info gauges installed into the factory dash. We went with 4" gauges (looks like you could also use 4.5") and then Tor fabricated a backing plate to hold the gauges....they have a screw on/compression fitting. I'm still unsure if I'll keep the silver bezels or use the black ones we also ordered. If you do order these for yourself I went with "Century" font which is closer to stock, not the default Eurostile

Cutting out the plate that will screw into the back of the factory gauge cluster and hold the new set

Cleaning up the plastic

Both gauges mounted! Middle spot is for the Transmission temp gauge

And the Transmission cooler mounted

Installed the new gauge set into the truck!

Still unsure about the silver....gonna try the black bezel rings tomorrow

Last edited:
Tor killed it today and got the Speedhut GPS speedo and Quad info gauges installed into the factory dash. We went with 4" gauges (looks like you could also use 4.5") and then Tor fabricated a backing plate to hold the gauges....they have a screw on/compression fitting. I'm still unsure if I'll keep the silver bezels or use the black ones we also ordered. If you do order these for yourself I went with "Century" font which is closer to stock, not the default Eurostile

Cutting out the plate that will screw into the back of the factory gauge cluster and hold the new set

Cleaning up the plastic

Both gauges mounted! Middle spot is for the Transmission temp gauge

And the Transmission cooler mounted

Installed the new gauge set into the truck!

Still unsure about the silver....gonna try the black bezel rings tomorrow

Yep.. SpeedHut gauges are the bomb. I have the two big ones in red with black bezel and then a pyro and boost in the smaller size in my shopping cart now..

Looks great. IMO, I'd go with the black.

J

Alright, I'm gonna ask the question that's on everyone's mind. How did you manage to take the trip of a lifetime and still afford this awesome conversion? TEACH ME

Alright, I'm gonna ask the question that's on everyone's mind. How did you manage to take the trip of a lifetime and still afford this awesome conversion? TEACH ME

I've been creating work for car manufacturers this year, taking photos for them and traveling, but recently a very rad client approached me and then I pitched them the idea of putting a modern engine in my rig and using their oil on the road.

Here's an image from a project I did for Mercedes recently: http://instagram.com/p/pq_O2YtmfJ/?modal=true

It's been awesome to watch Tor and his solid team swap out my old 2F for this new Chevy e-rod 5.3 LC9 the past 2 weeks but today we are officially finished!

Last on the list was the new 3" exhaust install with a stainless tip

Looking up

Went for a Mangaflow exhaust thats fairly quiet and loud enough if you ever stomp on it

Flanges so the exhaust can come out in pieces if needed

Cats

Engine and cover all installed

Jasen's air intake fab work

In the end I stuck with the silver bezels on the Speedhut gauges, on paper I thought black would be the ticket, but turns out nothing is really black in my truck....it's all grey or blue/grey and the dark black bezels popped in the wrong way....so silver it is! Really loves the gauges so far. (choke light is set to the check engine light, and as a new engine it needs to have the camshaft learned at the dealer/a capable hand held OBDII device)

Last edited:
I got me a diesel powered 60 not too long ago, (2H) so I though I was set but seeing these trucks sporting these awesome v8's with more than 300 hp really makes me cringe at the thought that I could have gone that route as well. Nicely done, and quick tooo!

I like those gauges. Bet it's fun to drive now.

Well done!
I passed by Tor's the other day while in Seattle ( I live in Portland, OR) I really wanted to stop in to see with my own eyes. Unfortunately, I had other business to attend to. I have a sneaking suspicion that I'll be leaving my rig in his very capable hands for the same swap… someday.

Well done!
I passed by Tor's the other day while in Seattle ( I live in Portland, OR) I really wanted to stop in to see with my own eyes. Unfortunately, I had other business to attend to. I have a sneaking suspicion that I'll be leaving my rig in his very capable hands for the same swap… someday.

You'll never regret it, trust me. Tor and his team are a class act that do amazing work.

Beautiful! Congrats on the new drive train!

Gathering parts right now for a similar swap. I'm curious what you plan to do where the choke knob used to be?

Keep us posted, I really enjoy this thread!

Regards,
Ed

Two of my family members are sure they've seen your truck in north seattle today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom