Breakfasts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Anybody ever make Scotch eggs?

Dan, I tried this a couple times... First time was... WELL a DISASTER... Second time, I lightly scored the HB egg (white only) , dried thoroughly with paper towels and used panko, it turned out really GOOD.. oil needs to be at 365F on high side and 350F on low side IMO, or the crust will pull of the HB egg. It is a brilliant idea if you can perfect it.

Next time I try this I will inject the yolk with a little habanero and butter before the coat and deep fry...
(just out of curiosity)

J

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1397177296.540633.jpg

Breakfast for dinner.

...via IH8MUD app

View attachment 884134
Breakfast for dinner.

...via IH8MUD app

That looks awesome!

We had breakfast for dinner too, though not quite as colorful as that.

Cooking up in the kids' clubhouse...

Edit: Tech content so it doesn't get moved - I used the Betty Crocker Cookbook recipe, except I eyeballed the amounts and substituted the last of some old sour cream for half of the milk.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Anybody ever make Scotch eggs?

Sounds awesome.

I do occasionally make "Italian" eggs. Heat up a cast iron full of spagetti sauce and then place cracked eggs in the sauce and put it in the oven to let the eggs cook until about over easy consistency.... Serve on some garlic toast/bread. If you want to get crazy, put sausage in the sauce and sprinkle (murder it) with bacon.

Scotch eggs...sort of: A few years ago on our first trip to Tucson we stayed at the Hacienda del Sol and had a wonderful appetizer consisting of a savory waffle, crisp pork belly lardons and a panko crusted deep fried egg. I've made them at home and they're uber good...and a good one for surprising breakfast/brunch guests with something very out of the ordinary. Simmer whole in the shell eggs for about 4-5 minutes and then shock in ice water. Carefully peel the eggs (peeling the eggs under a faucet of running water helps peel without pulling the white...)...then using a little milk/water thinned mild mayonnaise (aioli or a light dijon mustard might be interesting too) lightly paint the eggs and then roll in panko. Fry the now breaded eggs in 3" or so of hot neutral oil just until the bread crumb is lightly golden.

If you get it just right you'll have a bit of a runny yolk center...contrasting nicely with the crispy bread crumb exterior.

Try not to like it!

That sounds great Dan, a lot less saturated fat than the traditional version. I was looking at two versions, one used quail eggs and was basically an appetizer. The other called for cooking the eggs for 1 min 45 seconds, then an ice shock. After peeling the eggs were jacketed in sausage meat and chilled. Then the usual flour/egg/bread(panko) and deep fry followed with a bake at the end to finish. For a camp breakfast I think you could do everything up to the bake in advance then either bake in a camp oven or deep fry when ready to serve. I'd try the appetizer version if the price of quail eggs didn't make me have seizures.

Made some breakfast sausage tonight...

I used two pork chops, one chicken breast, and a few strips of applewood smoked bacon to give it a little fat and smoke flavor. All of it free-range locally whatever, free of whatnots - real high quality stuff from the hippy grocery store.

I bought some small casings, unfortunately they are too small for my tube. I left the tube on anyway and made dookies.

It's real easy to coil up a doodie patty.

It turned out super tasty, with just enough fat to cook without adding any to the skillet, but doesn't really leave any behind.

I cooked the rest in the oven while cleaning up.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

This thread is making me hungry ! :confused:

Celebrating the May 1 opening of commercial salmon season for Cali waters: Fresh Monterey Bay King salmon + Rancho Gordo's Rio Zape mashed beans + roasted poblanos + smoked habanero + poached egg. Its what's for breakfast today, guys. If you were here I'd make you some :)

Those of you living in NorCal and lovers of wild king salmon...its candyland time of the year again!

King, egg and beans.jpg

looks delicious!

I just got back from a trip to Utah with Cruiserdrew and the gang. They eat better camping than I ever do at home. Here's a few of the breakfasts...

IMG_0077.JPG

IMG_0730.JPG

IMG_0731.JPG

IMG_0733.JPG

IMG_0913.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom