Breakfasts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

spressomon

glutton
SILVER Star
Threads
Surprise to not find a dedicated "Breakfasts" thread...so here goes:

This is stupid simple...so simple I'm almost embarrassed to post it here :D

Leftover baked potato and peel: Grated and sauteed in the cast iron with a little sunflower oil; salt of course; love the extra texture component the fried grated potato peel brings to the 'browns.

Leftover pulled pork caramelized in the same cast iron...until slightly crunchy on the outside but still tender on the inside.

Simple sunny side up egg: In a 1/2T butter, sea salt and my favorite fried egg topping: Chopped smoked habanero (try it...you'll be hard pressed to eat a fried egg without it!). Chipotles just don't stand a chance against home-smoked habaneros...

This is the way breakfast went for me today. And of course camp worthy also.

And a photo for e9999's benefit :flipoff2:

Egg, pulled pork, baked potato hashbrowns leftovers.jpg

Last edited:
One can corned beef, one medium onion diced, one medium potato pre cooked to aldente and cubed to 1/4 inch, bacon fat or cooking oil.

Fry the spuds until light golden brown, add onions, cook until soft, cube up the corned beef and add to skillet. Of course season with S&P as you go. When the beef is starting to crisp up a little serve with fried or poached eggs and ketchup.

Sent via the ether from my candy bar running ginger bread

One of my absolute favs for breakfast.

FRENCH COUNTRY OMLETTE

1 tablespoon good olive oil
3 slices thick-cut bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 cup (1-inch-diced) unpeeled Yukon Gold potatoes
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
5 extra-large eggs
3 tablespoons milk
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 tablespoon fresh chopped chive

Directions

[FONT=&quot]Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Heat the olive oil in a 10-inch ovenproof omelet pan over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook for 3 to 5 minutes over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the bacon is browned but not crisp. Take the bacon out of the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside on a plate.

Place the potatoes in the pan and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Continue to cook over medium-low heat for 8 to 10 minutes, until very tender and browned, tossing occasionally to brown evenly. Remove with a slotted spoon to the same plate with the bacon.

Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, beat the eggs, milk, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper together with a fork. After the potatoes are removed, pour the fat out of the pan and discard. Add the butter, lower the heat to low, and pour the eggs into the hot pan. Sprinkle the bacon, potatoes, and chives evenly over the top and place the pan in the oven for about 8 minutes, just until the eggs are set. Slide onto a plate, divide in half, and serve hot.

J

[/FONT]

BX0506H_country-french-omelet_s4x3_lg.jpg

Fresh eggs, sauté onions & chicken sausage with pastels & some pepper sauce. Yum

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

image-3114446979.jpg

image-3283119660.jpg

Spaghetti and eggs

When I make spaghetti I like to make extra noodles just so I have leftover for this in the morning. Pesto is mandatory! Fry up some bacon and poor off the grease, but don't clean the pan. In the same pan put a quick fry on some leftover spaghetti to put just a little crunch on it. Fry an egg over-easy to lay it over the top such that the yolk drips down into the noodles. Horrible pic below, but the taste is awesome!

Butt

486061_614192855274740_1328180607_n.jpg

Oh! The cast iron breakfasts are killing me!! I'm going to try them all---thank you, thank you!

Fry bacon. Shred sweet potato, add salt, pepper, garlic, onion, and savory. Toss in bacon grease for 1-2 minutes. Cover and cook over medium for 5 minutes. Eggs over easy to top it off. Love me some good breakfast. :D

Going to try your sweet potato hash browns! :)

I get a lot of request for my sausage gravy, you can scale this up or down pretty easy.

Start with good sausage, or you can use Jimmy Dean Sage sausage;).

Brown it off in a large skillet, add about one TBS of flour for every TBS of fat in the pan. Cook to a blonde rue stage. Add whole milk, about one cup for every TBS of flour you used. Stir often until it thickens up, constantly as it gets thicker. Adjust the salt and pepper at the end.

How long to cook the gravy depends on how thick you like it.

You can freeze the gravy, which works great for camping, just don't let it thicken as much during the initial cooking, it thickens up a lot when you reheat it.

You can serve it over biscuits, or home fired taters, or scrambled eggs. I serve it as a beverage :grinpimp:.

I need to work on making biscuits in one of my dutch ovens and then make some of rusty's sausage gravy. You guys are making me want some breakfast!

I need to work on making biscuits in one of my dutch ovens and then make some of rusty's sausage gravy. You guys are making me want some breakfast!
My biscuit skills are sadly lacking.:frown:

I've seen a lot of dutch oven biscuit recipes but have yet to try one. My daughter makes killer biscuits in the oven though.

I use jimmy Dean hot, but use the same recipe in general. Most Sausage gravies do not have near enough sausage in them. We cook a whole sleeve of the sausage-eat maybe 4 patties-the rest goes into the gravy. I don't think you can make this worth a hoot if you don't use a cast iron skillet--something about the heat distribution--the ratio of fat to flour is right-gotta stir constantly to get a nice roux--we always add fresh sage near the end of the cooking.
I never tried this as a "beverage" but with a little milk and sour orange juice, it might be great!
I get a lot of request for my sausage gravy, you can scale this up or down pretty easy.

Start with good sausage, or you can use Jimmy Dean Sage sausage;).

Brown it off in a large skillet, add about one TBS of flour for every TBS of fat in the pan. Cook to a blonde rue stage. Add whole milk, about one cup for every TBS of flour you used. Stir often until it thickens up, constantly as it gets thicker. Adjust the salt and pepper at the end.

How long to cook the gravy depends on how thick you like it.

You can freeze the gravy, which works great for camping, just don't let it thicken as much during the initial cooking, it thickens up a lot when you reheat it.

You can serve it over biscuits, or home fired taters, or scrambled eggs. I serve it as a beverage :grinpimp:.

Milk gravy made in cast iron, tough to beat. I might have to make a batch of SOS soon.

ForumRunner_20131230_125543.jpg

Sent via the ether from my candy bar running ginger bread

ForumRunner_20131230_125543.jpg

You guys are killing me.:cheers:

We love the harrow disk breakfast;
101_0734.jpg
101_0736.jpg

9 times out of 10, it is just 1 pound of bacon first.
Then the Spuds O'Brian fried in the bacon fat.
Last is the eggs whipped w/sharp chedder, some kind of chilis and chopped onion, then all is wrapped in a disk warmed tortilla.

101_0734.jpg

101_0736.jpg

Oh, jeez,...
Oatmeal with raisins and honey, and a peanut butter bagel on the side. Thick coffee.
Actually I eat oatmeal and coffee for breakfast most days camping. It's quick easy and has complex carbs to keep you going for a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom