New Seat Foam other than Specter (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wadesters

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.cwcruisers.com
Anyone know where to buy original molded seat foam other than Specter. I have used their's for years and it is very good. However, the price for shipping the foam (or anything else from them) has gone over the top. Don't mind paying for a quality part but the box charge and handling is ridiculos.

Someone else has to manufacture this molded seat foam but I have not found it. I don't want to add foam to the existing seat I want to go back with new. Any ideas where to find it??

Thanks...

Good question. I'm planning to recover my front seats this Spring/Summer and was just looking at the two foam options SOR has for 40s. One (the "high density" foam) is more than twice the price of the other option (described as "high resolution" foam). In addition to other sources for seat foam, does anyone know if the more $$$ SOR seat foam is worth the much higher price?

Anyone know where to buy original molded seat foam other than Specter. I have used their's for years and it is very good. However, the price for shipping the foam (or anything else from them) has gone over the top. Don't mind paying for a quality part but the box charge and handling is ridiculous.

What is SOR quoting to ship a high density seat foam? I bought a single cushion from them ~3 years ago during the annual 20% off sale. At the time, the foam was around $120 and they charged $45 to box and ship. I think it weighed around 10 pounds. Ridiculous is an understatement.

Have you considered asking one of the California MUD guys who live near SOR to buy the foam and ship to you, rather than paying Specter's ripoff S&H charges?

In addition to other sources for seat foam, does anyone know if the more $$$ SOR seat foam is worth the much higher price?

I've seen and sat on both. Hard to beat the high density foam cushion for quality and comfort, but I think the price is now bumping up against $200, plus shipping. I'm not convinced it's worth that much. Maybe Chris will come up with another source.

What is SOR quoting to ship a high density seat foam? I bought a single cushion from them ~3 years ago during the annual 20% off sale. At the time, the foam was around $120 and they charged $45 to box and ship. I think it weighed around 10 pounds. Ridiculous is an understatement.

Have you considered asking one of the California MUD guys who live near SOR to buy the foam and ship to you, rather than paying Specter's ripoff S&H charges?

I've seen and sat on both. Hard to beat the high density foam cushion for quality and comfort, but I think the price is now bumping up against $200, plus shipping. I'm not convinced it's worth that much. Maybe Chris will come up with another source.

I had a queen size memory foam sofabed mattress delivered from overstock.com for $2.99. It came shrink wrapped and expanded once it was opened. It's hard to understand why SOR charges so much to ship.

If Specter is the only source I have tried the cheaper and the more expensive. Don't bother with the cheaper you might as well keep your old worn out foam instead of using it. The more expensive high density is the only way to go. Thinking of taking a trip out and buying it myself. A pain but day job is with an airline so it will be worth it. Still looking for options!

I would build my own or have them redone locally. I weighed the coat of new foam when I finally decided to go Scat procar pro90 seats.

They are new, have better. Cushioning and a stock like stitch pattern.

I prices out new foam, new seat covers and shipping. The 500 for my new front seats was a no brainer.

If you have a local reputable upholstery guy that you know does good work you can have your seats done very reasonably (with the high density foam) compared to SOR foam prices. Mine were cheaper to have the springs rebuilt, new foam, and custom vinyl ($375) than to buy and ship all the covers/foam/etc. from SOR. I also had them blast and paint the frames/backs and all the hardware (add $100) and added seat heaters (add $200).

I know a lot of people like to do all their own stuff but it's hard to beat the professionals...

IMG_3473.jpg

IMG_3470.jpg

If you have a local reputable upholstery guy that you know does good work you can have your seats done very reasonably (with the high density foam) compared to SOR foam prices. Mine were cheaper to have the springs rebuilt, new foam, and custom vinyl ($375) than to buy and ship all the covers/foam/etc. from SOR. I also had them blast and paint the frames/backs and all the hardware (add $100) and added seat heaters (add $200).

I know a lot of people like to do all their own stuff but it's hard to beat the professionals...

[URL="http://www.dominicsmith.com/1965_FJ45_Pics_7_files/Media/IMG_3473/IMG_3473.jpg"] [/URL]

[URL="http://www.dominicsmith.com/1965_FJ45_Pics_7_files/Media/IMG_3470/IMG_3470.jpg"] [/URL]

Those came out great. Seat heaters in San Diego?

Not many auto upholstery shops left on the east coast though.

Chris,

I just ordered the high density seat foam/seat covers for my 77 and also had the same experience. The shipping was over the top! That with the box charge was like $80. Crazy! They have a $50 coupon off an order of $500 right now so that helped some, but really unimpressed and wish there was a cheaper way to get good foam!

Hope things are well down south!

again, I went to Jo Anne Fabrics. You can cut foam with an electric meat knife. Typically upolstry shops use a softer grade foam just before the cover to get a smoother fit over the seat with no wrinkles (Thanks Pimp my ride for that knowledge)

If anything, get the lower density foam to go over your stock cusion and fill out that seat cover as you put it on. This will at least make it look full while you are not sitting in it. You can get fullness and a little added comfort if you use a 1 inch layer of memory foam. the cheap stuff.

I've been watching this too. I have a set of seat heaters ready to go in my LX once I recover; just need the foam. I got my heaters at www.sportsimportsltd.com for $89.16 delivered for the pair and they are very nice quality.

Remember that the 79-84 (not sure about 73-78) are the same right and left, so perhaps get one from an FJ60 passenger to do the job - that's my plan if I can't justify the $300+ for SOR ones.... though the SOR ones are very nice.

Find a pro with a good reputation and go.

Also, about the high cost of shipping from SOR. Here in Crazyfornia, the State Board of Equalization (sales tax) allows us to add a REASONABLE amount to the shipping price to cover our labor. So, it could take hours to put a seat cover into a box, seal it up and put a FedEx label on it. Then, if they drive it over to Kinkos there could be an added fuel surcharge as well.

I was about to order new foam today, got to checkout, and they wanted $53 to ship one base.
Ridiculous!!!
Butch

Hi, Now to ship two seat bottoms is 100.00. Any one out there going to Specter ? Could you ship ? Thanks, Mike

I also went local. I have a local shop that has done 3 or 4 of my seats in different old rigs, and although my front seat was in rough shape (rusty and many broken springs) it was still only $200 or so more to have them strip and replace everything than it would have been to buy all the parts from SOR.

I also wanted BLACK covers to match my Bestop TJ rear seat color, not the "black/Gray" original color so it made the local shop decision easier.

Have a local shop give you a quote, and you can do any color or pattern you want. mine looks VERY similar to DomSmith's seat above but without the heaters!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom