HD automotive turbo kit (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There is a picture on this page of my build

So I ordered a 3”x2.5” reducer for the throttle body to 2.5 aluminum 90 and a 2.5” silicone 90 with 4” legs but it’s to short so I ordered a long 2.5” 90 with 8” legs that i can cut down.

IMG_9717.jpeg

IMG_9718.jpeg

What’s everyone’s thoughts on Blow Off Valves? I’ve personally Always run one in every turbo build I’ve done (regardless of boost level) until now. I like the OEM Bosch ones from late 90s era cars. They are inexpensive, reliable up to about 17.5psi and they can be set up to run as a “recirculating system” - exactly what we’d need for the 1FZFE with a MAF. I still have my boost currently set at a low 5psi, so I don’t think the blow off valve is necessary just yet But when I push the boost to say a Max of 8psi, I’d feel much better having a blow off valve. Thoughts?

That will work, 2.5” 90 with 8” legs cut down And the breather will Clear just barely.

IMG_9729.jpeg

IMG_9728.jpeg

The idea of turboing the 4.5 instead of ls swapping is becoming more appealing. Really enjoying this thread.
agreed , all while still keeping it Toyota !
It just baffles me that it’s so common across seas but here in the US, it seems like there’s not many “plug and play” kits for us !

I’m in 100% agreement that turbocharging the 1fzfe is a great alternative to a V8 swap. I rebuilt my engine some 65,395 miles ago and at the time considered swapping for an LS. Obviously the “Toyota purist” in me got the final say as I’m still 1FZFE…. Don’t get me wrong, I love my V8 engines But honestly my 80 series with 35” tires, 4.88 gears and only 5psi boost can keep up with my wife’s 5.7 Sequoia. And my 80 weighs at least a 1000lbs more with all the gear, armor, swing out tire carrier, wench, on board air, etc….

It just baffles me that it’s so common across seas but here in the US, it seems like there’s not many “plug and play” kits for us !
It's really Quite simple up tell 10 years or so ago these were soccer mom rigs, Soccer Mom had no interest in modifying them. Now there in the hands of enthusiast and your seeing thing like turbo kits developed.
Across the pond they were more utilitarian and used more as every day rigs by people that like the out doors and to modify thing (enthusiasts)

What’s everyone’s thoughts on Blow Off Valves? I’ve personally Always run one in every turbo build I’ve done (regardless of boost level) until now. I like the OEM Bosch ones from late 90s era cars. They are inexpensive, reliable up to about 17.5psi and they can be set up to run as a “recirculating system” - exactly what we’d need for the 1FZFE with a MAF. I still have my boost currently set at a low 5psi, so I don’t think the blow off valve is necessary just yet But when I push the boost to say a Max of 8psi, I’d feel much better having a blow off valve. Thoughts?
Go the bypass route, it’s better in all ways.

The blow off valve is just an attraction getter, “look at me”….

J pipe wrapped, don’t like the lines provided for the water cooling of the turbo. Going to do some reading and see if I can make my own they are way to long.

IMG_9743.jpeg

IMG_9747.jpeg

IMG_9750.jpeg

You can shorten those lines. Those are not crimped hoses- The ends unscrew.
That’s awesome news, I have never dealt with these style of braided hoses. I’ll check it out thanks

That’s awesome news, I have never dealt with these style of braided hoses. I’ll check it out thanks

Not a fan of the braid - rubber - hard pipe you have on the water return.

In my mind, the rubber is holding all the weight, tension, vibration of a stiff, heavy braided line, for no reason.

I think you'd be able to get a compression fitting to adapt from rigid pipe to the braided connection. Eliminate the rubber.

Reactions: PIP
I'd be inclined to make those waterlines from stainless tubing. It would be easy to make those from 8mm (5/16") or so stainless tubing and a hand bender. Route cleanly for a factory looking job. Then no stainless jacketed hose that looks like it was borrowed from a 1980's hot rod.

Any ss flex line should be supported no more than 12” between supports.

Yah this thread was supposed to be a review of the kit, but as I am installing I guess I will be addressing the short falls. There is a thousand ways to skin a cat and everyone’s opinions are appreciated even if they do things differently than I would. Also this was supposed to be a budget friendly build and I agree all things can be improved some will be and some things will be addressed at a later time if it needs to be.

I tapped a threaded fitting into the thermostat housing and eliminated the rubber hose connection and removed all the stainless lines for the throttle body and ran the other coolant line to the cylinder head. Also think running hot coolant through the throttle body would increase intake air temps.
What sort of intake temps will you get without an intercooler and are you worried about detonation?
Keep up the good work, l'm very happy with my set up.
Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom