Any Vise Collectors Here? (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

IMG_20231127_100420640_HDR.jpg
co-worker gave me this Prentiss 182. I believe it is pre 1920's. Weighs a ton and is in very good condition.

@bsilva132 Post a pic of the swivel lock on the other side. They went from the plunger style (early) to the lever style in the 20s I believe.

looks a lot like my old 93, but yours has taller jaws and (oddly) a much shorter ram proportionally. I'm thinking mine is from the early 1900s as well.
The 182 cost $20 in 1914 but with pipe jaws (and the center mounting rod).

yikes! $600!

Prentiss   Screenshot 2024-01-19 103450.png
vise cost 1914.png

We can sort of see it's an Athol. If you clean it up, it would be fun to see a before and after pics. Not that you have to, of course, but then again, it kinda deserves it, there is a beaut in there somewhere...! :)

@RodrigzCrzr Athol vises are absolute TANKS! Great pick up!!! What size jaws? Judging by the slide length, I’d say it is at least a 6”.

Here is a picture of my 300 pound 8” Athol 618.

66423957351__C8CF6B0E-D7E1-4041-BAE4-8C3197B42360.jpeg

That thing is massive.
I don’t know the size as of yet. I will measure it and get back to you.
How did you weld it on to that stand?
Did you make a base the same shape the base of vise. I have stand I have here I would like to use to make something like that.
I think I will try to paint it and make it look nice like yours.
Very cool.

We can sort of see it's an Athol. If you clean it up, it would be fun to see a before and after pics. Not that you have to, of course, but then again, it kinda deserves it, there is a beaut in there somewhere...! :)
Yes I think may have to clean it up. It is pretty stout looking.

Bolting to the stand is what I would project. The mounting flange portion of the vise is likely cast iron, so welding would not be a good solution.

Kudos on your new vise.
Yes! I cut a top flange to match the bottom of the static jaw and bolted it to it. It is not common practice to weld anything to the actual vise.

Yes! I cut a top flange to match the bottom of the static jaw and bolted it to it. It is not common practice to weld anything to the actual vise.
Thanks I figured that what was done.
Going to clean it up and make a stand for it.
Thanks

nice! I would wirebrush the handle and slide to raw metal and then oil or clear coat. For a bit of contrast and back to roots feels. Or do a gunmetal finish.

@RodrigzCrzr If you are going to start doing vise restorations, this is a great tool for your toolbox. Sharpie paint markers make the lettering effortless!

Picked up a little Reed 103 last weekend. Tossed it in the ultrasonic cleaner then hit it with a wire wheel and it came out pretty good. Now I need to figure out what to do with it.

IMG_1752.jpeg
IMG_1753.jpeg

I so love that raw metal look.
But you have to protect it if you want it to keep looking that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom