Builds Watch me tear my FJ40 apart!! 72 frame off (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

it is weldable, but I just saw something on this
Metal Stitching & Thread Repair Inserts. - Turlock , CA - LOCK-N-STITCH, Inc
on Jay Leno's Garage and thought it held promise as well...best of all, you can do it yourself.

Thanks for the response!

After looking in to everything and asking around I decided just to get a new intake from @65swb45. The general consensus was that no mater what I did it would most likely just crack again and I don't want that for sure!

However this still leaves me with one problem. I'm still going to have to put the new one on and torque it down! I've read anywhere from 22 foot pound up to 32. I'm a little gun shy as I don't want to crack another one what do you guys think?

Thanks josh

One thing that I noticed was the RTV on the intake. Do you have an OEM gasket?

I had a OEM gasket and was just using the RTV as a back up trying to make sure it didn't leak. Thinking back now I probably didn't need the RTV on the intake manifold. So once I get the new stuff in from Mark I will clean everything up and just use RTV on the headers as I've read they are prone to leaking.

@Jdc1 I've been missing your updates on your 40 although I do appreciate you giving me a chance to try and catch up! Now if I can just stop breaking things I might be able to get it back on the road!

Josh

I had a OEM gasket and was just using the RTV as a back up trying to make sure it didn't leak. Thinking back now I probably didn't need the RTV on the intake manifold. So once I get the new stuff in from Mark I will clean everything up and just use RTV on the headers as I've read they are prone to leaking.

@Jdc1 I've been missing your updates on your 40 although I do appreciate you giving me a chance to try and catch up! Now if I can just stop breaking things I might be able to get it back on the road!

Josh

Not much to report, I've been messing around with the Saginaw pump but mostly planning bodywork. I ordered a rear sill from Awlteq and have an OEM DS fender coming from Germany just in case. Jim C. carb should be here soon as well.

What I'm I missing here?

I'm trying to put the linkage together on my 4speed trans 3speed Tcase and I'm running in to a few issue. I can't get everything lined up and I'm wondering if I've missed something.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Josh

image.jpeg

So I stole this picture from @Coolerman and it look like I might be missing one of the linkage pieces from the 4 speed T-case the one in circle 1. What has me really confused is circle 2. The one in coolermans picture looks a lot longer than mine.

Josh

image.jpeg

Thanks so much @jrcfj40 that is a huge help!

I'm wondering if my 3 speed case came with a shorter shaft? Does anyone know if they came in different sizes?

Josh

So after taking a measurement mine is a lot shorter. Can someone confirm they came in different lengths?

image.jpeg

Josh

It could be the difference between 2wd and 4wd... don't know if they came in different lengths.

Also, yours is the earlier '3-speed' type linkage, and those pictured are the newer '4-speed' linkages.

It could be the difference between 2wd and 4wd... don't know if they came in different lengths.

Also, yours is the earlier '3-speed' type linkage, and those pictured are the newer '4-speed' linkages.

Thanks, After some more research I now see that I need the a few more pieces from the 4 speed T-case.

Does anyone know the proper name of the circled parts! I need to see if I can get them from someone but don't know what they are called.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Thanks Josh

You're looking for the later style 4-speed shifter linkages, and I'd call it a 'selector' shaft.

In the first pic you've got the small vertical shaft circled... that part doesn't change, it's the arm that attaches that is different.

Atlas twin sticks from AA would also solve the problem.

SOR.com likely has exploded diagrams with part names.

You're looking for the later style 4-speed shifter linkages, and I'd call it a 'selector' shaft.

In the first pic you've got the small vertical shaft circled... that part doesn't change, it's the arm that attaches that is different.

Atlas twin sticks from AA would also solve the problem.

SOR.com likely has exploded diagrams with part names.

I looked on SOR but I haven't been able to find that particular part but lets just call it the selector shaft because that sounds right to me! I will check AA out today and see if they have a solution to my problem.

One another question I have is can you access the top plate on the T-case with the body on the truck? I'm really making a push to get the cruiser back together by October 1st and don't want this to stop me while trying to source parts.

As always thanks for the reply and all your help!!

Josh

Update,

After some more research and a lot of help from other members, I have confirmed there are two different l length selector shafts. I have a short one and need the longer one to make the 4 speed linkage work. I've reached out the Mark @Marksoffraod to see if he can hook me up. Once I get what I need I will take a pic to shown everyone the difference. Once again thanks to everyone for all the help and advice!

In the mean time I will order my new water pump and fan so I have more clearance for the radiator. I've also got my intake manifold and air cleaner as well as a few other parts at the powder coater. Hopefully I'll get everything back soon and can keep moving forward, I really want to get this thing back together!

Josh

You know, now would be an excellent time to do some slight changes like an LS motor, NV4500, Atlas 2 t-case, one tons, linked suspension.
Your welcome,
Your internet help

Maybe on my next one! I work for Toyota so I've been trying to stay as true to them as I can. I planned on this being a quick and easy frame off but it has turn in the a whole different animal! At least by the time I'm done I will know every nut and blot of this thing! Even with all the work I still plan on driving it as much as I can!

Josh

Maybe on my next one! I work for Toyota so I've been trying to stay as true to them as I can. I planned on this being a quick and easy frame off but it has turn in the a whole different animal! At least by the time I'm done I will know every nut and blot of this thing! Even with all the work I still plan on driving it as much as I can!

Josh

Quick and easy dont belong in the same paragraph as frame off. Maybe and depending are usually found in the same sentence.

Quick and easy dont belong in the same paragraph as frame off. Maybe and depending are usually found in the same sentence.

LOL

Hey man I'm just following your lead!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom