Builds Watch me tear my FJ40 apart!! 72 frame off (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Xpnsv72fj

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello everyone,

I finally started my frame off resto on my June 72 40 and will be posting as much as possible. First a little about my 40, I bought it sight unseen from a guy who claimed to have done a frame off him self. After many e-mails and pictures back and fourth I sent him a good amount of money and in return he sent me a FJ40.

At first glance everything looked great, sure it run a little rough be hell it hadn't been driven in 3 years. So after pulling the tank and putting so fresh gas in it I finally got her running! However the more I drove it the more things started to go wrong and the more I worked on it the more I realized how the PO had just thrown it back together as cheaply as possible. So right then and there I decided I would go ahead with a full frame off resto and make the 40 everything I want it to be and restore it to former glory!

Now a little bit about me, I really have no mechanical experience at all, so I will be relying on everyone for a lot of help! I also hope that others will follow along and learn from all the mistakes I have made and will continue to make!

Josh

image.jpeg
Here what I started with

Snow weekend in VA. So Got the front end apart and the motor/trans pulled.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Lots of pictures and labeling things so I can remember where everything goes!

No mechanical knowledge or experience didn't stop me (although it did slow me down a tad- OK so more than a tad). Keep the pics coming. A suggestion: take pics as you take apart. Suggestion #2 Don't throw all bolts and fasteners in one pile because you know what went where. Suggestion #3: Don't ask me how I cam up with suggestions 1 and 2:doh:
Good luck

Thanks for the advice, I've been taking tons of pictures as I go! Any bolts that I can put back in I throw is a ziplock bag and label it.

Josh

Thanks for the advice, I've been taking tons of pictures as I go! Any bolts that I can put back in I throw is a ziplock bag and label it.

Josh

Having swapped a frame, axles, SBC motor, trans, T-case, hood, floor, fenders, hardtop, gas tanks, and disc brakes, I can't say that much about a frame off resto... but I do know you'll learn a tremendous amount about your rig and also mechanics. Try to not over complicate the project, and don't drag it out too long... otherwise you'll regret having started. Unless it is going to be a trailer queen, don't get too carried away... you'll not want to drive it.

Definitely, not going to be a trailer queen, my goal is the build the best DD as my money will allow. I'm not going to go crazy, OME 2.5 lift, F2 out of an 86 fj60, power steering going with a mini truck being I have most of the parts already, and I'm sure I will find more along the way. One of the main things I'm struggling with right now is whether to swap my 3 speed for a 4 speed? I already have a 4speed trans but would need to pull my 3speed transfer case and get together whatever else it takes. My three speed trans is fine but it would sure be nice to have a synchronized first gear! If anyone has any advice on this please jump in and give me your opinion.
Josh

I have to start a rebuild on a '71 soon so I'll be watching what not to do.;)

Front Axle is out

image.jpeg

All my bushings and mounts are shot, I'm sure this wasn't helping the ride not to mention the rough country lift the OP installed. So far everything has been pretty straight forward. Hopefully I'll get some more time Wednesday to continue the tear down.

Removing SBC conversion, going back to Toyota 1972 Frame off JDC1

Very similar plan, 84 2F 4speed 2.5 OME

Did it already have the 2F in it or are you replacing the F with a 2F? If so what are your plans for the Carb, Intake and breather assembly? One way is to keep the F stuff and put it on the 2F. Is that the plan?

I'll be replacing the F with a F2 I picked up from a MUD member a few months back. I'll be keeping the F intake, carb, and headers I got from Marks off road last year.

With a 2f swap, your 6/72 is going to run into issues with the 4 speed tranny and a 4 speed tranfercase clearing the frame torque tube directly behind the parking brake. It fits but not enough to service the parking brake. I am unsure if the 4 speed tranny/3speed transfer has this issue. It looks like you can clear it if you cut the tube and clock it towards the rear of the frame and it will look stock.

You need a 4 speed bellhousing for the motor mounts or keep your 3 speed setup.

A 2f carb/intake/exhaust is larger than the 1f setup and has a hard time clearing the stock brake booster. The 2f carb has a rod linkage that is hard to adapt to the cable linkage of your 40. You can dress the 2f with the 1f carb/intake/exhaust to mate up with the cable linkage and clear your stock booster. The 2f water pump with fan clutch is longer and might hit the radiator. There is a workaround for this as well.

Don't assume anything will fit. Mock it up first to make sure. Good luck.

The US post office has a 4 speed bell housing of ours that they lost, along with most of the hard to find parts we needed in the same box.

Are you keeping the oil cooler?

Looks like a great starting place. The paint work looks in good nick. Shouldnt take too much to tear it down and put it back together. BTW welcome to MUC :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom