Best battery charger for 24v dual battery systems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There's a (relatively) easy fix though as others and myself too have already done the conversion to 24v headlights. I have brighter headlights, a much simplified system with less relays and no centre tap.

Reviving this ancient thread. I have a HZJ73 with 24V, and a NOCO 12/24 maintainer/charger. Could someone explain which batteries and posts I’m supposed to hook it up to, and why? Thanks in advance.

I *think* this is accurate, where the ground is the battery closest to the firewall? Hoping someone can confirm. Thanks.

EBB513BD-2A26-4CEB-B0CA-013C91433BAE.jpeg

Old thread revival.
This is on Prime Day (turn off you add blocker):
Amazon product ASIN B08G3STB1N
With the NOCO 12v x2 charges you hook up a pair of leads to each of the two 12v batteries +/- and +/- one on each. They have a processor to allow this. I have not tried this with the Battery Tender I am currently using.

Last edited:
Old thread revival.
This is on Prime Day (turn off you add blocker):
Amazon product ASIN B08G3STB1N
With the NOCO 12v x2 charges you hook up a pair of leads to each of the two 12v batteries +/- and +/- one on each. They have a processor to allow this. I have not tried this with the Battery Tender I am currently using.

This is my setup but I found that disconnecting the terminals from the truck works a lot better when using two smart chargers like this one so that they are completely isolated and not tripping each others up. I use the quick disconnect switches on my two batteries.

Last edited:
I have the Genius as well. Made a little bracket for it and put it by brake booster on my LHD Bj73. After a few months, no issues at all.

1657665828503.png

I have the Genius as well. Made a little bracket for it and put it by brake booster on my LHD Bj73. After a few months, no issues at all.

View attachment 3057515
Nice. Do you leave your batteries hooked together? Just curious. I understand it is not necessary to unhook them.
I finally remembers to test my X2 Battery Tender to see if it acted okay leaving the batteries hooked together.

Also - I mentioned somewhere I was going to try to use my dual lead 12v Battery Tender on the BJ73 with the batteries still hooked up in series.

The Tender appeared to be working but it got hotter than I have noticed before so (out of caution) I disconnected the cable between the batteries as I normally do and it almost immediately indicated charged and cooled down. I do not think the Battery Tender brand has the same smart tech as the Noco.

Also - I mentioned somewhere I was going to try to use my dual lead 12v Battery Tender on the BJ73 with the batteries still hooked up in series.

The Tender appeared to be working but it got hotter than I have noticed before so (out of caution) I disconnected the cable between the batteries as I normally do and it almost immediately indicated charged and cooled down. I do not think the Battery Tender brand has the same smart tech as the Noco.
Interesting. I had a battery tender brand for years attached to my 40 and it would get hot from time to time. I read that the metal case of the battery tender is also not recommended for 24v because it used the case as a ground. I leave the batteries connected up and just attached the charger connections to their posts. I read somewhere it isolates them inside its circuits but I could be wrong.

Interesting. I had a battery tender brand for years attached to my 40 and it would get hot from time to time. I read that the metal case of the battery tender is also not recommended for 24v because it used the case as a ground. I leave the batteries connected up and just attached the charger connections to their posts. I read somewhere it isolates them inside its circuits but I could be wrong.
My Tender has a plastic case.
I will probably spring for the noco before primeday is over

FWIW I've used a Noco 7200 to charge my 74's 2 batteries in 24v, and also used a Noco 4 bank wall charger to maintain each battery separately @ 12v ea (without unhooking anything). No problems.

My HDJ81 has one of those Noco 2 bank chargers mounted under the hood and it works well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom