3M Self Leveling Seam Sealer for FJ62 roof? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

Has anyone used this stuff with good results? I was recommend to use this on my FJ62 to seal the edge of the roof from the top to keep the water out. I have only one rust spot about 2.5" but I figure with the poor design, this will help prevent it.

I am going to tackle this job soon and go the seam sealer specified in this thread: Rain Gutter seam and drip rail reseal
Not sure how it compares to the 3M stuff but it looked like it worked very well.

Thanks for the link. My seam does not seem to be coming off like that truck was. I believe the 3M stuff is a liquid form and dries clear, vs. a thick caulking/glue like texture of the original seam.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-08307-Self-Leveling-Sealer-Cartridge/dp/B000PEW40U

I just did this on my 60. We stripped it, and were going to paint the body anyway, so I figured that I might as well reapply the seam sealer. I used the SEM self leveling sealer, but it's the same as the 3M. I also bought a tube of the 3M stuff, but one tube barely had enough to do the whole drip edge (OK, there's about a 2" section that's a little thin compared to the rest). It really did level itself out nicely, and worked its way down into the cracks of the original sealer (which was in good shape, really). It also took primer and paint just fine.

The worst part about it is buying the gun/applicator. That guy wasn't cheap. But very worth it.

Dan

Since your original sealer was in good shape, do you think it would be needed to remove the old stuff if you're not re-painting the car?

Since your original sealer was in good shape, do you think it would be needed to remove the old stuff if you're not re-painting the car?

I don't. But I do have thoughts about it now that it's done. Because the original was left in there, and then I added the self leveling seam sealer the channel is a lot more shallow than it originally was. I definitely wonder if that might reduce the amount of water it can channel away.

But I also don't live anywhere that sees lots and lots of rain, so I'm not too worried about it.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom