Builds My First Land Cruiser! Just Discovered this Forum. (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Jen - don't let the neanderthals scare you off. This is a great forum for ideas and troubleshooting. We'll like having you around!

My advice on your tires and such-drive and enjoy-on your stock tires. Once they wear out, then consider an upgrade. You can go most places you'd go in Hawaii (I'm assuming Oahu) on stock tires and suspension.

It has been said many times.... If you want to get attention on 'Mud, have a profile pic of a pretty girl and use a girl name to get attention. Then later we find out it's someone like @Delancy that's actually posting........
So.....better to not post pictures??

Do you have any of the maintenance records for the truck? If not, you can go to the Toyota website, plug in your VIN and get whatever they have in their database for your truck. If the PO had it serviced at a Toyota dealership, it should be there. If not, it doesn't mean good work wasn't done, just not recorded.

Be aware that repairs on these trucks are expensive, but they last a LONG time. OEM parts are highly recommended instead of aftermarket parts. These trucks have been around long enough that original owners have tried multitudes of aftermarket parts, only to find that the OEM ones are what lasts the longest.

Great vendors for OEM parts are:
@cruiserdan
@beno
and a couple others. I don't know them because I have not needed to use them. (Sam Stewart)

Things to look for on your particular model:
Head Gasket (did the PO already have it done?)
Oil Pump seal and Front Main Seal
Distributor O-Ring (dizzy o-ring)
Valve Cover gasket
Spark Plug Tube Seals
Front axle rebuild (brakes, rotors, wheel bearings, seals, Birfields)
Rear axle rebuild (brakes, rotors, wheel bearings, axle seals)
Lube drive shafts (DS) and tie rod ends (TRE's)
Check the coolant. Best is RED. Green is OK. Brown is a problem, orange is a problem. If either brown or orange, it needs to be flushed multiple times and exchanged with RED.
Pesky heater Hose (PHH). Left side down near bottom of block. Should be changed every 150K as PM.
Heater hoses for rear heater (under truck)
Thermostat: ONLY use OEM.
Wiring harness melting near the rear of the head due to the harness being close to the EGR.
OEM Spark plugs
OEM Spark Plug Wires
OEM Distributor cap and rotor

Those are the top 13 items that occur on your year.

Your truck looks great! Gather a few metric tools and get to work! These are easy to work on, get a Factory Service Manual (FSM) from one of the folks here on 'Mud. (Usually digital and free)

Do your baselining and make sure it is good to go!
Engine Oil
Coolant check
Transmission oil check
Transfer Case Oil Check
Front and Rear differential oil check
Knuckle ball grease (Birfield grease)
Hoses for cracks or soft spots
Brakes
Spark Plugs and wires

Drive it and have FUN!

These typically get 12-16 MPG depending on driver and terrain.

I'm sure others will chime in with their additions to the list.

And keep posting pictures. LOTS of pictures. Pictures are worth thousands of words.

See, If I would have just posted pictures in my last message, it wouldn't have been so long and drawn out......

I think you have a new record....3 pages , 46 posts in less than 9 hours.

Do you have any of the maintenance records for the truck? If not, you can go to the Toyota website, plug in your VIN and get whatever they have in their database for your truck. If the PO had it serviced at a Toyota dealership, it should be there. If not, it doesn't mean good work wasn't done, just not recorded.

Be aware that repairs on these trucks are expensive, but they last a LONG time. OEM parts are highly recommended instead of aftermarket parts. These trucks have been around long enough that original owners have tried multitudes of aftermarket parts, only to find that the OEM ones are what lasts the longest.

Great vendors for OEM parts are:
@cruiserdan
@beno
and a couple others. I don't know them because I have not needed to use them. (Sam Stewart)

Things to look for on your particular model:
Head Gasket (did the PO already have it done?)
Oil Pump seal and Front Main Seal
Distributor O-Ring (dizzy o-ring)
Valve Cover gasket
Spark Plug Tube Seals
Front axle rebuild (brakes, rotors, wheel bearings, seals, Birfields)
Rear axle rebuild (brakes, rotors, wheel bearings, axle seals)
Lube drive shafts (DS) and tie rod ends (TRE's)
Check the coolant. Best is RED. Green is OK. Brown is a problem, orange is a problem. If either brown or orange, it needs to be flushed multiple times and exchanged with RED.
Pesky heater Hose (PHH). Left side down near bottom of block. Should be changed every 150K as PM.
Heater hoses for rear heater (under truck)
Thermostat: ONLY use OEM.
Wiring harness melting near the rear of the head due to the harness being close to the EGR.
OEM Spark plugs
OEM Spark Plug Wires
OEM Distributor cap and rotor

Those are the top 13 items that occur on your year.

Your truck looks great! Gather a few metric tools and get to work! These are easy to work on, get a Factory Service Manual (FSM) from one of the folks here on 'Mud. (Usually digital and free)

Do your baselining and make sure it is good to go!
Engine Oil
Coolant check
Transmission oil check
Transfer Case Oil Check
Front and Rear differential oil check
Knuckle ball grease (Birfield grease)
Hoses for cracks or soft spots
Brakes
Spark Plugs and wires

Drive it and have FUN!

These typically get 12-16 MPG depending on driver and terrain.

I'm sure others will chime in with their additions to the list.

Its great to see everyone turning over a new leaf and being so outwardly helpful for the newbies. Its refreshing and a sure sign of great things to come for every other newbie who comes to the site. The days of "have you searched" and "did you check the FAQs" are obviously over. :cheers:

Its great to see everyone turning over a new leaf and being so outwardly helpful for the newbies. Its refreshing and a sure sign of great things to come for every other newbie who comes to the site. The days of "have you searched" and "did you check the FAQs" are obviously over. :cheers:

It kinda depends on how the newbie starts their thread too... If it starts with degrading epithets, it gets one response, but with pictures and introductions and a request for help, it's quite another!

I'm thinking this is some Wits' End promotional stunt. Joey (@NLXTACY) is coming out with a new accessory.

"New from Wits' End: Are you having a hard time with the ladies? Is the missus not giving you enough attention? Are your clever lines of 'What cruiser?' And 'Beautiful...Nice 80 too!' not working? Well fear no more! I present to you...The 80 Series CLUB-1. For those rare times when a female owns an 80 Series and decides to post pictures of herself with her new 80 on MUD. Don't be unprepared! Operators are standing by."

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1434571417.767513.jpg

Don't worry @Aloha Jen, there are a few enlightened folks here in the 80s section. We all aren't Neanderthals... :flipoff2:

I'm thinking this is some Wits' End promotional stunt. Joey (@NLXTACY) is coming out with a new accessory.

"New from Wits' End: Are you having a hard time with the ladies? Is the missus not giving you enough attention? Are your clever lines of 'What cruiser?' And 'Beautiful...Nice 80 too!' not working? Well fear no more! I present to you...The 80 Series CLUB-1. For those rare times when a female owns an 80 Series and decides to post pictures of herself with her new 80 on MUD. Don't be unprepared! Operators are standing by."

View attachment 1094099

Don't worry @Aloha Jen, there are a few enlightened folks here in the 80s section. We all aren't Neanderthals... :flipoff2:

No, not ALL of us are Neandertals and drive stone-age rigs (Pleistocene Epoch)..........(read 1991-1992 3FE engines).
Some of us Homo-sapiens drive the newer, more modern versions with the 1FZ-FE...;):flipoff2:;):flipoff2:;):flipoff2::worms:

The only 80 I saw a few months ago in Maui was an 80 with a busted out rear windshield (theft). Talked to the guys who owned it. They were not MUD members but knew a few members in Hawaii.

Aloha Jen, the local Hawaiian mudders will post up soon and you will then have a local source to help you wrench. Supply pizza and beer and they will show up with tools and knowledge.

No, not ALL of us are Neandertals and drive stone-age rigs (Pleistocene Epoch)..........(read 1991-1992 3FE engines).
Some of us Homo-sapiens drive the newer, more modern versions with the 1FZ-FE...;):flipoff2:;):flipoff2:;):flipoff2::worms:

True, but a lot of you spend an awful lot of time on cooling issues, replacing head gaskets (or worrying about them), repairing fried wiring harnesses, trying to source new leather, adding cupholders #s7&8...

I prefer to consider my 3FE as a vintage polymath. A "Renaissance Truck" if you will.

That said I do like it sometimes people have to justify picturing me as a female so they can justify emailing and calling me all the time. :ahem: :cough: Delancy :cough:

:lol:

:hmm: I DO have a picture of you somewhere on my phone that might just help that visual somewhat. :flipoff2:

Look, no post in almost 4 hours ! I think you knuckleheads scared her off.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom