Post up what you pedal (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yup, amazing the things you can see and come across when on two wheels. Spent the week in Steamboat Springs, CO and took my Thumper with me. BIL and I did the Epic Divide Trail on Sunday and have to say that it absolutely deserves the name. One of the most amazing rides I have been on in my short 4yrs of riding. Thumper performed flawlessly and even gave me chills in a few spots as I was able to billygoat up some sections that I figured I was not going to be able to clean. Then to turn and point the thing downhill over big rocks, roots, etc and it just flew like it was on rails!!! So SO happy with this bike I cannot put into words.

So far this is my fav photo from the epic ride....
Untitled by renofizz, on Flickr

Yup, amazing the things you can see and come across when on two wheels. Spent the week in Steamboat Springs, CO and took my Thumper with me. BIL and I did the Epic Divide Trail on Sunday and have to say that it absolutely deserves the name. One of the most amazing rides I have been on in my short 4yrs of riding. Thumper performed flawlessly and even gave me chills in a few spots as I was able to billygoat up some sections that I figured I was not going to be able to clean. Then to turn and point the thing downhill over big rocks, roots, etc and it just flew like it was on rails!!! So SO happy with this bike I cannot put into words.

So far this is my fav photo from the epic ride....
Untitled by renofizz, on Flickr

Fist snow this week up there. It is pretty up there. Is that an expert or intermediate ride?

@greenbeast Think I saw you rolling through town one of the days (inadvertently from the top of the Rio....LOL)... Saw a few cruisers while was out there but not many, well at least older ones.

Pete's Wicked is a more intermediate trail and Cathy's is a beginner/intermediate trail. Seems like the parks markings for the trails are pretty spot on but then again the BIL and I were hauling ass to try and find shelter from the downpour.

@greenbeast Think I saw you rolling through town one of the days (inadvertently from the top of the Rio....LOL)... Saw a few cruisers while was out there but not many, well at least older ones.

Pete's Wicked is a more intermediate trail and Cathy's is a beginner/intermediate trail. Seems like the parks markings for the trails are pretty spot on but then again the BIL and I were hauling ass to try and find shelter from the downpour.

Pete's Wicked is named after Pete Wither. A local real estate and former head of ski patrol for 20+ years. Just over 70 he is good friend of mine and to watch him bike at his age is incredible. He and I flew to Moab and did baby steps a few miles from the airport. While I pushed my lard ass over those steps he methodically went up and over each step. This 20+ mile warm up trail for our white rim ride next day definitely made me wonder why I bike with pete sometimes.

We have a few cruisers in town for sure! Between the light blue, my blue one and Kims 62 we're usually out and about with the kiddos. Drop me a line when your up this way again.
Jon

Thanks Jon, I am pretty sure it was yours because I remember a nice 40 running down the street, with what looked like 60series rims and a white top but I didn't have my glasses on so I couldn't really tell about the rims. Also saw at least 2 tan cruisers driven by women, only saw the backs so didn't get a good enough look to see if it was a 60 or 62.

Not sure when we will be out there next as trips are usually pretty sporadic with travel time and both of our schedules (especially during the winter).

Have a set of knobbies from OnOne, but the Black Floyd street tires work for most of my riding... love the fatties... between these two rides... "I can't go... where?"

P1050648-s.jpg

Here's my new used built frankenbike 05 bmc ssx street fire with SRAM rival components.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1412614078.429194.jpg

2014-09-13 05.15.30.jpg 033.jpg 004.JPG EC-06-18-13 007.JPG 11-12-13 013.JPG
We love to ride down in S Carolina....

Just saw this. I have seen your build. My revelation was an RLT. To be 100% honest, I know this is MTB blasphemy, but so far I kinda like the Revelation better. The problem with the Pike IMO is that it's a 160mm shock setup at 130, and once it's set to start at 20%ish sag, we're sitting at 110ishmm. It rides like a 160mm fork mid stroke. The first 50mm of plush travel just aren't there. I still need time to play with it moving around tokens and pressures. With three "tokens" (air spacers) in it, at the recommended psi I get no sag at all. I have to drop down to around 60psi to get even 20% sag. Possibly I'm not getting any air in the negative chamber? Anyway the RLT damper was the best fork I've ever ridden - but take that with a grain of salt because my comparison on bikes I've owned and ridden a lot are limited to a Pike, a Tower Pro (also very good), a reba SL dual air, and a coil spring Dart 3.

I rode a bunch this weekend including a trail called the bobsled in SLC, UT. It's a long downhill trail with big (in my book) dirt jumps - like over abandoned cars. Pike was just fine - stiffness is exceptional, but even there I felt the dampening of the revelation was better. I hated the brain. Can't wait to get rid of it. Since the monarch plus is now sold for the SJ evo, I'm gonna buy one and see how it is on the normal SJ. The difference in frames leverage is around 3%, so I think it will work just fine. I'll find out. Worst case I'll have to buy an evo link for another $100. Really wish the evo model specs were published for '15 because I probably could have gotten one without the brain for a little less $ and me and my insurance co. would be happier.

Edit: So yesterday I got on my bike to take my dog for a quick ride around the 'hood and I was thinking about the pike dampening and how disspointed I was. Started playing with the settings - I'm not sure if it happened on the downhill or what, but it has no dampening whatsoever anymore. No matter where I adjust it, nothing. just an air pogostick. So I'm thinking I got a bad fork and whatever was wrong is now totally blown - probably just a valve jammed open or something. Anyway I'm going to make a few phone calls later today to figure out whether I send it back to RS, Specialized, or take it to my LBS for a repair/replacement. Maybe when its working properly it's better?

Have you fooled with the Pikes tokens????

2 road bikes, 2 cross bikes, 2 mountain bikes, 1 single speed beater in the pics.

Not pictured: 2 more mountain bikes (old Gary Fisher Sugar, new Santa Cruz 5010) and kids bikes (2 road, 1 Red Line BMX)

Digging it. 780 bars with that short stem?
I believe they are 720, I picked them up a while back relatively cheap. They are carbon though :0

Id like to get some wider bars, but for now these will do!

@dukmon - you are quite the connoisseur of bikes there... Love the stickel! Eventually one day I will have a custom built frame for myself, until then I love the bikes I have...

Currently in the process of converting my Inbred 29er into a 1x9 monstercross bike that will pull duty as my commuter AND my mx/cx/gravel grinder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom