and yet another rear storage box idea... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
( UPDATE on page 2 post # 51: homemade cargo net)

so, after some searching and getting ideas on mud I decided to do my first project on the 80, the rear storage box! So same idea as most, a flat surface you can sleep on with drawers underneath. But it had to be based on a few things:
- has to be simple
- has to be somewhat lightweight w/o sacrificing integrity
- has to be removable / disassemble-able (so I don’t have to drill holes in the body and make it permanent)
- and it has to be something different, have removable drawers that can be changed and not necessarily wodden boxes on rails..

so I went to wallmart and local hardware stores to get some ideas….i’ve seen lots of Rubbermaid storage boxes so I started with those and did some measurements…b/c of the depth of the trunk I figure it best to have 2 boxes lengthwise…non of the rubbermaids would work but I found these drawer style storage bins…

I measured and 2 back to back would fit perfectly, then I figured, why not flip one backwards so it can be used inside when the seats were folded down…then this got me thinking, I can extend the platform over this drawer and make a trap door to get access to it, so cool.

Last edited:
In the end, I decided to buy 4 of these bins and have 2 rows and make a wooden drawer right down the middle to store tools and stuff. The bins may seem a little weak but I figure they’re in there snug and I don’t think they’ll move around much. And as far as items stored in it are concerned, I figured it’d be mostly clothes, camping gear, and food for my planned roadtrips…soon to be mini expeditions hopefully… But, worse comes to worse, one ruff and tuff Rubbermaid bin with heavier duty lid will fit too with the white bin. (but 2 together wont) so I have the luxury of swapping bins depending on needs…. Or take them out and throw in a long duffle bag.

Materials:
-5/8” spruce plywood (I didn’t think 3/4” was necessary)
-1/4” peg board (to try and save some weight)
-hinges,screws,nails
-carpet/contact cement/staples/gun (i looked everywhere for darker grey but all i could find was black and this lighter stuff)

So, I decided to make 2 boxes to store the bins and have them support the flat platform to sleep on (with the long drawer sandwiched b/w, it would provide adequate support to sleep on). Up top, I figured I’d make a swing down cover that extends the sleep area but have it so that it has a lid that can give me access to items inside/under the storage area (most have made drawers that pull backwards, I just figured I’d just pack things I’d need inside the vehicle to be stored further in in-case I need to get at them inside the truck w/o having to exit the vehicle and open doors….
102_5301.jpg
102_5303.jpg
102_5304.jpg

Last edited:
So with boxes and drawers made, I figured I’d make the top platform in 2 pieces joined by a piano hinge so that can be removed too. The 2 forward foldable boxes are then hinged to part of the top platform but this little piece is also removable (but snatch lachable to the main platform for stability). So all in all I have 2 separate top boxes that are joined to what’s part of the top platform that makes it all removable. Undo the snatch latch, remove the top boxes, remove the top platform, remove each drawer box and you’re back to the large empty trunk space.

After carpeting, everything became snugger and more secure. I used little blocks on the underside of the platform to keep it from shifting laterally. With the top boxes folded, I decided to cut holes on the top platform and run a strap around the belly of the boxes (around all drawers) to lay over the lip of the top boxes to help secure them down further. Because everything is butted up against each other snuggly, there is virtually no movement. The carpet makes for some nice friction to keep things from sliding, the hinges and latches act as extra secure points and the strap connects the entire storage area and snugs them all together.

I’ve driven with the boxes laid flat and folded up and there isn’t one rattle or shifing of things. This afternoon I had to avoid a bunch of cars that braked suddenly and pulled a quick left turn and right, very suddently, and the boxes didn’t budge! I guess the true test will be over some tough terrain but I doubt I’d be taking the truck through any of this type of terrain anytime soon…but I’m confident that things will stay down b/c of the weight of it all and the fact that there’s no room for any wiggle,…only on a roll over will there be any realy movement of stuff.

I took a little nap over the box and it felt very secure.
102_5304.jpg
102_5305.jpg
102_5307.jpg

Btw, this only works if you are 5’8” or shorter! Fits me and the wife just right, plus we don’t sleep with our legs fully extended, more on a fetal position anyway, so it’s nice and cozy inside. I might make another piece of wood to go over the small gap in between or just leave it and just rely on whatever sleep mat I lay ontop of it all, nothing major. The gaps on the sides allows for room for shoes too. Curtains are up next….
102_5308.jpg
102_5309.jpg
102_5310.jpg

Last edited:
all done. just a couple things i might add later on...

the long drawer actually slides okay with wood over carpet, but i'll probably duct tape the bottom to make it smoother for less friction.

i thought about painting some parts but opted out of it for fear of paint releasing lead or other chemicals. the contact cement smell is all but gone.
102_5315.jpg
102_5316.jpg
102_5319.jpg

Last edited:
Nice simple design - BTW does anyone post all the dimetnions for building these since they seem so popular even though there are several variations? It would be helpful and gain Ideas to fit particular needs - good job!:beer:

box-o-bots, transform! :rolleyes:

the fold down boxes also act as storage upside down. gonna find some spider bungee cords to go over it to keep things from flying out, and i might add some latch points on the top plat form to have different tie down options for certain things.

the only thing i wished i could have taken advantage of are the stock latches on the floor under the carpet, it just so happens that they're sit directly under the box frame! doh!

if i could do it over again, i'd try and fit 3 of the same bins (or narrower bins) on the back and go past the back of the wheel well, and 2 bins near the front doing away with the long drawer, i think...

the cool thing with the bins is that they're stackable, so if i were to do a road trip to visit family/friends i can just pack my stuff in the drawers nice and flat and pull them out individually and stack them in the room i'm staying to use as a dresser sorta...
102_5298.jpg
102_5314.jpg
102_5317.jpg

good job, those look really nice. I like how versatile they are and i love the fact that you can access storage in all positions at any time. well done.

oh yeah,i spaced the fold down boxes so i could fold one half down and use as longer area to store bigger items, and still have a 3rd person sit.

and i just had another idea, if i wanted to do away with the fold down boxes, i could just make up those long flat thin pieces in the same way w/o hinges, just to cover that small area...say so i can put a TV on the back, but then again, i could just fold everything down anyway...just an option.

thanks guys. if anyone's interested i can easily take measurements and post 'em. the cool thing with this is you can choose whatever bin you want to use and just make the holding box accordingly. you can go taller or shorter. i think i saved weight by not making drawers and using the bins. i can further cut weight by cutting cheese holes on the sides of the holding boxes a la jamisobe, or just jigsaw squares out carefully w/o sacrificing strength... aluminum would be saweet tho.

just a note, one holding box by itself w/o anything inside is weak, the structure actually relies on all boxes stacked together side by side to stay rigid enough to support my weight.

That looks great. I came up with a different design as well but i'm such a bad carpenter that it's not going to get published. There are some good wood mechanics on this forum.

looks good man, great design:cheers:

That looks great. I came up with a different design as well but i'm such a bad carpenter that it's not going to get published. There are some good wood mechanics on this forum.

do share the idea! the last time i cut wood was in elementary, so i say go for it. these are just straight lines, the hard parts is just measurements. i actually used the local hardware store to do most of the cutting (just square/rectangular shapes), i got 3 free cuts with the 4x8 wood and the guy did extra for free or charged just a buck each cut...place was called Rona, the canadian Lowes/Home depot. the rest i jigsawed or circular sawed..

Nice job. I would consider making the sleeping platform (front boxes) removable as you might find over time that you need the space with the rear seats upright.

Anyway, good job thinking outside the box (no pun intended) on your design.

:cheers:

Looks very good and you whipped it together pretty fast. Where did you come in on final weight?

I checked out one of those mattress topper pads at Costco last week. I may switch to the topper some day to save space if it ever becomes an issue. Its not an issue now so I'm not pressed.

Nice job. I would consider making the sleeping platform (front boxes) removable as you might find over time that you need the space with the rear seats upright.

Anyway, good job thinking outside the box (no pun intended) on your design.

:cheers:

yup, they're definitely removable (see post #2 and #6), that's why i separated the attachment of the fold down boxes to another piece that latches on to the main platform. :D

and thanks!

Last edited:
Looks very good and you whipped it together pretty fast. Where did you come in on final weight?

I checked out one of those mattress topper pads at Costco last week. I may switch to the topper some day to save space if it ever becomes an issue. Its not an issue now so I'm not pressed.

thanks, i think total time, maybe a couple weekends, but having done it once already, i'm sure one weekend will do if you gather all your materials all at once (it was going back and forth to the stores and deciding which hinges, carpet, wood to use and the measurements that took extra time) carpeting was the messiest and trickiest, it's like giftwrapping!

im very curious about final weight too. i'll see about using just a simple bathroom scale to add up the weight. i can't see it weighing more than 100lbs...but will check. i figure it still weights less than one adult and i know with 5 adults and luggage the truck still does very well on mileage. ;)

thanks, i think total time, maybe a couple weekends, but having done it once already, i'm sure one weekend will do if you gather all your materials all at once (it was going back and forth to the stores and deciding which hinges, carpet, wood to use and the measurements that took extra time) carpeting was the messiest and trickiest, it's like giftwrapping!

im very curious about final weight too. i'll see about using just a simple bathroom scale to add up the weight. i can't see it weighing more than 100lbs...but will check. i figure it still weights less than one adult and i know with 5 adults and luggage the truck still does very well on mileage. ;)

I made many a trips back and forth to Lowes standing around looking at hardware. The clerks have got to know my face and eventually stopped asking "can help you find something?".

Yours looks light compared to what it could be. I used a digital bathroom scale for weighing.

Has to be simple! - Ha, that looks more like a Transformer than Simple.... :lol:

No but nice, job and with as much thought as you put into it I am sure it will fit your needs perfectly! :cheers:

Man, I can't wait to build mine! Mine too will be Transformer like in that I only want half a box but a full platform bed.... I have some ideas cooking up in my pea brain that I can't wait to work out in true form.... :clap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom