And I just can't get enough... My new 76 FJ40... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thecrazygreek

A.K.A. TheCraftyGreek
Threads
Well, I did it once again. Could not pass this rig up. Found it on craigslist from a Hot Rod guy that I bought a set of rear junps from. (from this rig)

Specs:
  1. 1976 FJ40
  2. Freshly Re-Built 327 with lots of power (<100 miles)
  3. HFS 4" lift. brand new (been sitting, has less than 10 miles on it)
  4. Saginaw 3 turn power steering done right.
  5. Body is in great shape. Almost no rust (and I looked)
  6. Only rust found was on bottom of front doors. Needs a 1 x 4 patch.
  7. Things it needs are, wiring touched up, paint, all mounting holes in rear need to be recreated. (emblems tire carrier etc)
Plans are doing a body on resto. Getting rid of the 33 x 12.50 and mounting 33 x 10.50s on early 80's OEM wagons freshly powder coated white. New Paint, going to go T-1028 Spring Green. Will be doing Raptor Tintable bedliner inside with same T1028. All new upholstery front and back, all misc brackets etc powdercoated blah blah blah...

Several other misc items will be replaced.

Anyhoo, I will post the build up on this thread.

Two other things, if someone is interested in the wheels and tires, let me know, also, I want a 4 turn box, and would trade this 3 turn straight across.

On with the pictures... (bezel orientation Police need not comment :D)
IMG_0333.jpg
IMG_0337.jpg
IMG_0334.jpg

Last edited:
That thing is clean! Nice

wow that thing is straight and clean.. i expect a repaint in 653 in under 2 weeks... GO! j/k.. except about the olive green..

nice fiind

that's one hellacious fuel line, and what's dripping on the rag? (tranny fluid?)

Thank guys,

Fluid is water, seeming to be coming from the front end, waterpump gasket or.. Stops when not running. very light. But, remember, this engine is fresh off the rebuild. Need to keep my eye on things...

I am stoked about the spring green. Very rare color, but think it will look real nice with the options I have going in. I will post as I go...

Last edited:
Its been a couple months, so I decided to finally tear into her over the weekend.

Took two days, but I managed to get the tub off the frame. Will be sending tub and other goodies to the blasters here soon. I'll have some new pics later today...

Took a while, but also managed to get all the left over bedliner out... Paint remover did the trick fairly well.

You might want to put a front bumper on before wheeling it hard. I've heard that a Saginaw box can tweak the frame horn if unsupported by a bumper>...

Some progress

Going to try a super hot pressure washer on the chassis. Up to 300 degrees!!!

Tub going to blasters next week.
IMG_0662.jpg
IMG_0659.jpg
IMG_0661.jpg

And the build goes on...

Finally got the tub blasted, and have crested the hill.

Once I got the tub back, I began re-creating all the holes the PO welded up shut. :mad: This included accurately locating them, drilling through the welds... and finally re-tapping them all. All told there were 22 holes that needed work.

Then I mounted the tire carrier and aligned that, rear jump seats needed to be test fitted etc.

Continued with some body work it needed. The PO closed the area for the rear marker lights and doing so warped the sheetmetal in that area. So I worked it a bit with heat and a body hammer, then added filler and smoothed it out.

Next up is a sand and primer. Then block and re-primer, then flip and primer, then Raptor Line the underside, then flip and Paint (T1028 Spring Green), then line the tub with Raptor Tintable liner in Spring Green. (thanks for the tip on the Raptor Shane) once I saw it on your 81, I knew what I was going to use.

These shots are of the tub blasted and midway through the hole re-do...

:beer:
blast1.jpg
blast2.jpg
blast3.jpg

wow lots of work...do you prime right away? I've always had rust run & jump on anything that clean. Hrs. after acid etching a part or something. I guess washing the acid off w/ water doesn't help...:)

Some sill shots

You can see its in real nice shape...
sill5

Some filler for the pits... This is gonna get some POR and Primer, then raptor on top. Should never rust again...
sill4

The black stuff on the quarter is Phosphoric (sp) acid I sprayed on it so some of the holes that were welded closed would be easier to see.
sill3

You can see the two spots where the PO welded up the holes for the rear "Toyota" emblem
sill2

sill1

Not much work back here.. THANK GOD!

Last edited:
Some more shots of the tub

Overall I was impressed with how decent the tub was.

sill8

sill7

sill6

sill9

nice

Very Nice. Glad to see a great vehicle getting this kind of attention and respect. Great job. can not wait to see that color paint.
Congrats on the find and good work.
Gary

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom