Yet another Vent Window Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There is (was?) an Australian company making the two different profile extrusions needed for a 4pc style. None of the w/s manufactures I discussed the project with were interested in anything but 1pc as it's in fact more usable.

Do keep me posted and I'll do the same.

There is (was?) an Australian company making the two different profile extrusions needed for a 4pc style. None of the w/s manufactures I discussed the project with were interested in anything but 1pc as it's in fact more usable.

Do keep me posted and I'll do the same.

That doubles the problem. IF, and that's a big IF you can work something out, do you order minimum quantity in the 16" height and leave all the 17" guys out in the cold, or order 17" ones and make all the 16" guys have to cut theirs down?

FYI, Shortly after I finished my 65swb with NOS bug catcher w.s. in 1993, Jim from Downey decided he had to have one too. By the time he got around to assembling the doors on his, the w/s were NLA. He bought the last set of 17" from SOR and cut them down. He said there was enough of a difference in the angle on the leading edge from the height difference that the corners bulged.

Best

Mark

That doubles the problem. IF, and that's a big IF you can work something out, do you order minimum quantity in the 16" height and leave all the 17" guys out in the cold, or order 17" ones and make all the 16" guys have to cut theirs down?

FYI, Shortly after I finished my 65swb with NOS bug catcher w.s. in 1993, Jim from Downey decided he had to have one too. By the time he got around to assembling the doors on his, the w/s were NLA. He bought the last set of 17" from SOR and cut them down. He said there was enough of a difference in the angle on the leading edge from the height difference that the corners bulged.

Best

Mark

Our negotiations and pricing thus far have been to do both the 16 and 17". There may be some shared molding on their end, I'll have to check on that.

Been in contact with many Australian ( and New Zealand!) Rubber Seal Weatherstrip Companies and to date, no joy.
I have Matt @ Canal Rubber in NYC looking in to this at present.
He has one of my Wing Window Seals and the schematic diagrams of both extrusion types. ( thanks Jim Keller)
Fingers crossed! he can find the extrusion?
I will keep you posted.

Are they hoping to find an existing extrusion that works or willing to make the die to build the extrusion?

See my PM about volume of bug-catcher windows in Aus?

Looking at trying to find an existing extrusion at this stage?
Thanks for info regarding Bug-Catcher Window Volume Kurt, noted!

I'm curious how many in Aus are in need of the bug catcher. I mean if you had to take a wild guess or some relative demand... are there many in Aus in need?

I was chatting with @Bear today about some FJ45 stuff and he summed up the issue quite simply "how many bugcatcher 40/45's do you think are still out there in need" and if I had to guess, it's likely a smaller number than the minimum run quantity needed to get the pricing in check for a full molded w/s. That isn't saying I'm giving up yet :D

Probably not many of this type, I would think.
In regards to #'s of 45's as compared to 40's here in Australia?
#'s would be biased to 45's I would think, for the 'Bugcatcher' style Wing Window era.
Keeping in mind though, our Soft Top version got the Hardtop Doors ( 17" Sizing ).
Maybe 'West' can confirm this?
I posted the request of interested parties for the benefit of Canal Rubber or anyone else currently contemplating this project, to see if it is commercially worthwhile?

Kurt, I didn't realize I never gave you my wing window sizes. I need one set of 16" and one set of 17" which leads to a question. Does anyone know why they had two sizes? The 16" ones were on the doors of the '65 s/bed when I bought it in 2009. The 17" ones are on doors I stumbled onto in 2012. Are the 17" ones possibly off of an LV or an early s/bed? Thanks. Pete.

That is a great question and I don't claim to know which came with tall (17") vs short (16"). Perhaps something we can sort in this thread? Best I can see, early 40's (61-62) had the tall and the later 64+ 40/45 had the short?

For reference, here are the pics of differences:
Yet another Vent Window Question

Just to clarify as there seems to be a bit of overlap, I measured a few different sets of doors and loose glass today and came up with this:

Short Bugcatcher:
- Glass Overall Height (no W/S installed): 16"
- Glass Overall Height w/WS Installed: 16.5"
- Door Window Opening (no W/S installed): 16.25"

View attachment 858115
Short Bugcatcher Door Frame, note thick band at top

View attachment 858117
Short Bugcatcher Measurement

Long Bugcatcher:
- Glass Overall Height (no W/S installed): 17"
- Glass Overall Height w/WS Installed: 17.5"
- Door Window Opening (no W/S installed): ~17.25"

View attachment 858114
Long Bugcatcher Door Frame, note thin band at top

View attachment 858116
Long Bugcatcher Measurement

So, based on these numbers... I'd love to hear more about which doors you have and perhaps what year they came from.

cruiseroutfit - 1966 FJ45 - Short
RustyNailJustin - ??? - Short
RustyNailJustin - ??? - Long
tahoe40/45 - ??? - Long
ADUB100 - 1964 ??? - Short
hdjtachtig - 1962 FJ40 - Long
Old Red - 1961 FJ40 - Long
CycloSteve - 1965 FJ45 - Short
cppilot - ??? - Short x 2
pjohnson - 1966 FJ45 LWB - probably the 16"
Whitey45 - 1965 - Short
jskfj45 - 1965 FJ45 - Short
71FJ40 - 1965 FJ45 - Short
ctcv1984 -1965 FJ45-Short. Another set of doors from ???-Long

If you look at the pre-64 doors, they did not have a top lip for the door perimeter weatherstrip, only a top channel for the window felt. The square channel butted directly up to the interior channel that spanned the doorway on the hardtop [no secondary diagonal piece] Hence the taller windwing.

Mark

If you look at the pre-64 doors, they did not have a top lip for the door perimeter weatherstrip, only a top channel for the window felt. The square channel butted directly up to the interior channel that spanned the doorway on the hardtop [no secondary diagonal piece] Hence the taller windwing.

Mark

Great intel Mark. How hard and fast is the "pre-64"? There seems to be some carry-over based on the years folks are showing and their tall vs. short needs. This is my summation on the options, jive with your thoughts?

ctcv1984 -1965 FJ45-Short. Another set of doors from ???-Long
I'm curious how many in Aus are in need of the bug catcher. I mean if you had to take a wild guess or some relative demand... are there many in Aus in need?

I was chatting with @Bear today about some FJ45 stuff and he summed up the issue quite simply "how many bugcatcher 40/45's do you think are still out there in need" and if I had to guess, it's likely a smaller number than the minimum run quantity needed to get the pricing in check for a full molded w/s. That isn't saying I'm giving up yet :D
I'll take 2 sets of the 16 inch bug catcher seals.

Sample en route :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom