Yet another Vent Window Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RustyNailJustin

Supporting Vendor
Threads
I know there is some info on this from a few years ago but I am looking for up to date.
Where can you source Vent window bug catcher style weather strip? I have a 1963 FJ45 with the 17" windows. It's close to one of the last pieces I need to complete the build.

The only ones I can find are the cruiserparts.net ones for 150$ each. Any other options out there?

These critters

IMAG0302.jpg

Does Cruiserparts.net actually have the "bug-catcher" rubber? $149 does seem a bit steep, but there are not to many options out there and most of our rigs have rotten seals. My windows are getting pinned shut due to the rollcage, but still I would be interested in a set, hopefully at a bit of a lower price, though.

:cheers:

Steve

Anyone have info on these? I talked with cruiserparts and they dont have anymore.

Best I can tell Robert is long gone and so is his site. If there were pieces to pick up I would be interested in re manufacturing these for the Cruiser crowd. Where to go from here?

Has anyone contacted Robert lately? Does anyone have his current contact info? The tooling exists to make the product, and there is a demand for those of us with early FJ45s and FJ40s. Perhaps we can help to get this back off the ground and have another "production run."

Steve

OK, I have sent Robert an eMail to the address in his earlier posts and threads. Looking at his activity, he has not been on Mud since October of 2012, so PM is futile. Will keep the thread updated with any information I hear from him.

Steve

PMed ya on Pirate Steve. It would be cool if we can team up and do another production run

Done some digging down under:

Most suppliers seem to do 1975 and onward quarter vent rubbers so prob not much help.

You might enquire or check out Rarespares.net.au. Larer model and No bargains here by the looks.

Www.scottsoldautorubber.Com.au. Later model by the look but may be worth a follow up?

These guys look to have early year fj40 vent window rubber listed as available (I searched for 1965):

http://www.carpartsdiscount.com/auto/parts/65/toyota/land_cruiser/vent_window_seals.html?3594=1992

HTH Lup :)

Done some digging down under:

Most suppliers seem to do 1975 and onward quarter vent rubbers so prob not much help.

You might enquire or check out Rarespares.net.au. Larer model and No bargains here by the looks.

Www.scottsoldautorubber.Com.au. Later model by the look but may be worth a follow up?

These guys look to have early year fj40 vent window rubber listed as available (I searched for 1965):

http://www.carpartsdiscount.com/auto/parts/65/toyota/land_cruiser/vent_window_seals.html?3594=1992

HTH Lup :)

Hi Lup,

Thanks for checking. The carpartsdiscount ones are for the standard wind-wing style unfortunately.

When Robert had the Bug Catcher style made, I believe the work was done in OZ. I have reached out to him to see if he can point us in the right direction, and have also contacted Scott @ the OZ company you noted above.

Steve

Last edited:
I have left both Voicemail and eMail with Robert to see if he can at a minimum pass-on the information he has about the manufacturer who handled the order in OZ.

Have also been in touch with Scott @ Scotts Auto Rubber in OZ, and though initially a bit confused, he at least is answering his eMail.

Will do my best to keep this one alive.

Steve

I have a complete set of Robert's product sitting here on the shelf that I would be more than happy to sell (if I can only figure out how much I paid for it).

Ping me via IM here if you are interested.

Edit: Purchased 2/13 for $100. Would be happy to get my money back.

Jim

Last edited:
PM sent. Will still pursue getting these reproduced, for the benefit of Mud. Today's news from OZ, is that Scotts Auto will not produce (too expensive to tool-up). They also do not know who made the previous run.

Steve

Any News Steve? Been in AK on fires.

Justin

At this point my thought is we are best off finding a company in the US to do these. No word back from Robert. I do have a set of the repro's headed my way and can use as a proper sample for the vendor for the extrusion. If anyone knows of a good rubber extrusion co. Let me know.

Steve

I need the following pictures and measurements:

1. Cross-section of the actual rubber extrusion
2. Each of the channels of the frame
3. Glass - especially need the thickness measurement

Currently 6,000 miles from my rig.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom