Yakima Skyrise RTT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sleepycruiser

I will get by….I will survive -Touch of Grey LC200
Threads
This is mainly just FYI.....

So on my quest to find a RTT I have been checking on the Yakima RTTs since I read about them awhile back. The site says they will be available early in 2017. So I emailed them to find out when. I was told that they will be available exclusively through REI in March and then in a wider market in June. Not sure I want to wait that long so the search continues.

https://explore.yakima.com/introducing-skyrise

Looks Luke regular tent material instead of canvas. No price listed either.

Don't know how accurate these prices are, but looks like $900 and $1350 depending on size

Yakima SkyRise Rooftop Tent

I'm interested in seeing how it attaches to the roof rack, that's one of my biggest pet peeves about the tent. But other than that, I don't see a big advantage over all the other brands. I was hoping for a lighter weight and thinner profile, but looks to be the same as every other brand, I don't think the tent materiel itself is a significant portion of the weight. Tepui has a baja series coming out which looks to be the same lightweight concept, but with the Tepui at least you have the option to change it to the heavier canvas if needed

I had an opportunity to see one up close at REI in Bend, Oregon. Looked like a good alternative for those that only utilize a RTT a couple times a year and want something lightweight. Anyone had an opportunity to see or test one in the wild?

The Yakima tents are getting awful reviews on REI.

saw this at the used gear sale at the local REI

iRiZhthhsiRboXMVZKIPHBy3OcoDmxmMZTi8SZTssor3UU_NGDbYV1nEkkd5WmFEQLDSOrPqpWA_XeageQstKckw2K76yyn7AqKcU1DwN71vqiaYqq6Oisrv22p_a08cC-48tupPh2OQpcB3D47pH6_-kzhnUBvhiTH1fOynJxo3ifj5WR1U-DIlrWEhAl7OE735WenBdtWrSm-Je0BUzMkqJ6WGWXeXA2l-joY7ov5EkcdZOTOt-60lzxA8Lx6QT4-M19Lazqho-aLGhUwKsCsNvdckyPLeoy9eT25ZmBOA-yq9_A1bpoj5Z5thNBSpBjq1lDrB4zUNgajVvVTjXISFFg5nMqdbsE99AXkgZ12RGoC-FAlkNQa3fHIIaqYOrY2GWeWZyed3gt2iW-liaRwphjTTzw8XSwMKJI_FCkmwM3TBFB3qe131Lo0rFL2AhYR-anl777s5ObkWAXqE5MsUnMWKxLopYFqVPwgwCLrympmImToEe1kQpPalgwl8fEf7qErIB6wrRBOEwquXMhnU1OJY4vXLgRvwZV_3s5hnmSXf4FVK6WmuYYgVhECFhitHL-nj2V8mUVyrvy3j0cI1vNYogMRBJC5n1LXlvAE=w600-h848-no

Nope...
I have a hardshell rtt...

I did scored a Yakima cargo box for $100...:):)

I've spent ten nights in a SkyRise3 in the last 90 days. I appreciate the light weight - my plan would be to take it on and off the car depending on travel plans / seasons. I think it is a solid product for money. I've used in in rain, snow and wind. It will flap a bit in the wind.

Previously I had been using a CVT Shasta Summit Extended.

upload_2017-10-24_17-29-12.png

I've spent ten nights in a SkyRise3 in the last 90 days. I appreciate the light weight - my plan would be to take it on and off the car depending on travel plans / seasons. I think it is a solid product for money. I've used in in rain, snow and wind. It will flap a bit in the wind.

View attachment 1561447

I just picked up the floor model of this tent from REI at 50% off - it wasn’t recommended to put it on the factory rack bars but I did take it home that way and with the kids excitement spent a night in it already - seems like a solid tent so far. what roof rack do you have on there?

View attachment 1561447

Can you provide an update on how the Skyrise test has been working out? Looking to possibly pick one up.

Can you provide an update on how the Skyrise test has been working out? Looking to possibly pick one up.

ZackR - Just returned from NW Overland Rally and two sections driving the WABDR with friends. I remain happy with this RTT - I like the balance of weight/portability to feature set. I think I have six nights in the tent this spring/summer.

Yakima released some accessories this year - I'd like to get a shoe bag. Leaving dusty shoes outside (and accessible from) the tent door is a nice advantage.

As a late response to FrackMaster - my Yakima RTT mounted to a South African "Outback Extreme" rack (no longer in business). It is similar to the Front Runner racks.

i-FpkPTXz-L.jpg

Adding my $0.02 to this older thread.

vLkFef1.jpg

I rented a Skyrise 3 earlier this summer and took it on a section of the WABDR. This is our campsite at about 6700'. Later that night, a rainstorm moved in and as you can see, we were plenty exposed. The experience in the tent was great. Setup was easy, the tent was roomy and comfortable, and I loved the fact that it could be mounted to deploy either to the side or to the back (this rental was configured to side-deploy). Even in the diagonal rain, we stayed dry with the rainfly. Online reviews have complained about wetness in the corners, and you can see in the photo that this is a design problem. The corners of the rainfly drip directly on the corners of the tent. For some reason, ours didn't get wet. perhaps this was a 2nd gen revision with more waterproofing? Only complaint was that in the bright morning sun, the tent was blazing red inside. Couldn't Yakima have picked a more neutral color?

Fast forward several months, and I was able to pick one up at REI for about $900 (40% off) by stacking some coupons:

UfDccW9.jpg

Yakima makes a green version exclusive to REI, and it's not nearly as garish in the light. Plus, i think it looks great against a red 62. I mounted this one to rear-deploy. The tent is only 1" narrower than the width of my tailgate, which means that I can use the Annex accessory to enclose the open tailgate area and create a "1st floor" sleeping area in the truck. This tent, although the same model, has not been as flawless an experience. 1) the floor won't open flat all the way. The tent seems super-stretched on the frame, as if it's too small. You have to have weight on the folding half for it to go flat, and then it's hard to zip up the windows. 2) the cover was missing components. Not damaged, just totally missing. That's a production/QA issue. Yakima seems to have addressed one common complaint about the ladder: they replaced the velcro strap that holds it collapsed with a webbing/Fastex buckle assembly. My one night in the green tent was not as perfect, either, but I blame that on the late-season cold. On a 40* night by a river, the amount of condensation in the tent was surprising, even with the sunroof open. The walls were soaked, and water collected under the mattress. However, I'm told this is an issue with all tents.

So, far, Yakima has been pretty responsive with customer service. They have offered to send me a new cover and an entire new tent shell. It's a bit of a PITA to swap them out, but it's about all they can do short of swapping the whole thing. I've got REI's fantastic return policy for that.

Verdict: Great deal for light camping use when on sale. At full MSRP, a bit of a tougher sell.
script>

Last edited:
Lightweight is great. But one thing I love about most RTT's is the thick, near opaque canvas. It's typically quieter, keeps the light out and cooler in hot temperatures. IMO, the extra weight of the canvas is worth it.

I ended up going with the Chinese roof top tent, it appears to be the same thing a large roofnest. Back in July I was debating going for something lightweight like the Yakima but really wanted a hard shell so I figured it was worth the two month wait time.

upload_2018-10-18_8-11-42.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom