1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you be interested in a new air box if shipping didn't double the price?

Discussion in 'Diesel Tech / 24 volts' started by TuffMudder, May 16, 2018 at 1:30 PM.

Would you be interested in a new air box if shipping didn't double the price?

1. Hellz ya!

7 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Naw man, my s***s already custom!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. TuffMudder

TuffMudder Still working on my FJ55!

I ran into some initial problems with a new airbox for my HDJ81's 1hdt, but I'm going to stick with it until i get it sorted out. I'm currently having it done in mild steel, but i have a friend who does stainless welding. There have been a lot of talk about these airboxes that have a plate filter sandwiched between an upper and lower air box and the fact that half the cost of the ones available is from shipping to the US

I'm trying to figure out if there is enough current interest to try to get a group by of these once I get the kinks work out. To be clear, i would just be facilitating this, the work would be done by a full time welder whose been tig welding stainless for the last 15 years.

So, is there any interest?

2. TuffMudder

TuffMudder Still working on my FJ55!

I'm shooting for the box to be optional 4" or 3" inlet and outlet, stainless steel. Nut welded below the lower phalange with hex head bolts to secure it.

My plan is for it to be built around a filter sized for the chevy duramax 6.6L which should be easy to find. Filter dimensions are:
    Height 1.625 in (41 mm)
    Outside Length 12.5 in (318 mm)
    Outside Width 9.875 in (251 mm)

Would this be an acceptable filter choice or is there another plate filter dimension with wider acceptance?

3. RMP&O

RMP&O OCD Supporting Vendor

Albums:
    You might want to check these out.

Unique Metal Products (UMP) Home Page

I fitted one to an 80-series with a v8 swap. Very nice product but depending on how much HP you are running they can get large as they spec size by horsepower.

Cheers

TuffMudder likes this.
  4. franklin40

franklin40 SILVER Star

totally wish i could buy a box to fit my application right now. problem is i need it sooner that later. i’ve already waiting over a year for torfab to have his ready but just can’t wait. that’s why i’m building my own. my problem is my 1hdt is in a 60 series so even one build for an 80 series will likely need modification to fit anyway. having one to drop in and go wouldnbe sweet though. good luck!

TuffMudder likes this.
  5. mudgudgeon

mudgudgeon

No, it's low on the list of value for money, bang for buck modifications for most vehicles.

Exhaust, tuning, intercooler, turbo upgrade,

then airbox depending on how far you go with turbo upgrade and how much power you are chasing.

roscoFJ73, IanB and TuffMudder like this.
  6. IanB

IanB

By the time I'm flowing enough air and making enough power that my airbox is a restriction, I expect I'll need to upgrade the transmission to hold the power, lol. It's way down the list for me, behind intercooler.

Hopefully by then Torfab has a bolt on, off the shelf solution available.

ZeGerman and TuffMudder like this.