Worth the time to fix (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an opportunity to purchase this cruiser and wonder if it’s worth taking on. Not sure what it’s worth or what to pay. It’s rough, doesn’t run, paints bad, some rear body damage and needs lots of tlc. Why do you think? 1997 triple locked

IMG_1803.jpeg

IMG_1805.jpeg

IMG_1802.jpeg

IMG_1798.jpeg

IMG_1804.jpeg

What is the asking price? And how is the undercarriage, any rust?

I have an opportunity to purchase this cruiser and wonder if it’s worth taking on. Not sure what it’s worth or what to pay. It’s rough, doesn’t run, paints bad, some rear body damage and needs lots of tlc. Why do you think? 1997 triple locked

View attachment 3378128

View attachment 3378129

View attachment 3378130

View attachment 3378131

View attachment 3378132
Save it.

My DD looked about like that, except mine was running and drivable, but needed serious amounts of repair mechanically.

I'm guessing you're in the $500 range. Plan on throwing $8K to $10K at it plus YOUR time, assuming you do your own work.

Don't walk, run away from that nightmare. The cost and frustration of getting that running would not be worth it in my view.

One would have to be pretty hard core to take on something like that. I see a massive amount of time and money. Likely would be a complete restoration project inside and out. If you’re that kind of guy and can get it for under $1000, knock yourself out. The locking diffs and block should be worth at least that….
oy vey!

Really depends on how much he wants. If it just needs a fuel pump and the essentials (oil, spark plugs, etc), it could be a steal. But again, depends on how much he wants. It's triple locked, which is really rare. I'm lucky I got one when I did.

He says the fuel pump might be bad.

IOW he was just tired of dealing with it and has let it sit for the last 5 years. In all likelihood it's going to be something other than the fuel pump. It may be triple locked but expect that the lockers will not engage.

Make sure the engine turns over before you buy it.

If it quit due to HG, then you may have a cylinder with coolant in it for 5 years. if that's the case then you're looking at a full rebuild.

Plan on replacing the cooling system (All hoses and radiator)
Plan on a full reseal of the engine (VC, Spark Plug Tube Seals, PCV grommet and hoses, Dizzy, Oil Pump, Front Main and all vacuum tubing)
Plan on a full front and rear axle rebuild (not necessarily differentials)
Plan on changing all fluids in trans, TC, Diffs, Engine
Plan on replacing Power steering hoses
Plan on all four calipers, 7 brake hoses, new LSPV, rotors, pads. Maybe booster and MC
Needs a new (and correct) intake hose (rubber)

Then there will be more as you drive it for interior parts, electrical gremlins, interior clean-up.

Water poured out of mine when I bought it due to a bad sunroof leak. I have cleaned out the interior, scraped tint off the front windows, fixed one mirror, and drove it for 25K while I made my list. Then I rebuilt everything listed above. I have driven it an additional 126K and it's due for a rebuild of some of those same systems again.

I am still well in the black on mine, and I get to DD it.

Working on this stuff is also my therapy.

IMO it would depend on two main factors; 1) how much will it cost to purchase? 2) How nice do you want it to be?

If this is a DD that doesn't have to be a mall queen then it will cost a lot less. If you do get it, INO the priority would be figure out why it isn't running. A dead truck makes for more work when trying to accomplish projects.

The interior might not be as bad as it looks. Don't get me wrong that is currently nasty but pull the carpet and pressure wash it and you may have a salvageable carpet. While it is out clean the living sh*t out of everything else, I am sure there is a smell emanating from inside:rofl:. The steering wheel cover is trash but the stock wheel under it may be acceptable. ***If you get it, take note it is currently in 4LO currently.

As for the outside, I would clean it up and figure what "needs" to be fixed/replaced and compare that to your budget. Fix the safety things first then the nice too have things. @BILT4ME stated plan on mechanical repair and/or baselining. There are a few guys on here that part out trucks on the regular and may be a cheaper way to get it back to life.

Lastly, if you get it i think it would be cool for some before and after photos of the truck.

IMO it would depend on two main factors; 1) how much will it cost to purchase? 2) How nice do you want it to be?

If this is a DD that doesn't have to be a mall queen then it will cost a lot less. If you do get it, INO the priority would be figure out why it isn't running. A dead truck makes for more work when trying to accomplish projects.

The interior might not be as bad as it looks. Don't get me wrong that is currently nasty but pull the carpet and pressure wash it and you may have a salvageable carpet. While it is out clean the living sh*t out of everything else, I am sure there is a smell emanating from inside:rofl:. The steering wheel cover is trash but the stock wheel under it may be acceptable. ***If you get it, take note it is currently in 4LO currently.

As for the outside, I would clean it up and figure what "needs" to be fixed/replaced and compare that to your budget. Fix the safety things first then the nice too have things. @BILT4ME stated plan on mechanical repair and/or baselining. There are a few guys on here that part out trucks on the regular and may be a cheaper way to get it back to life.

Lastly, if you get it i think it would be cool for some before and after photos of the truck.
It's gonna take a lot of work, time and money! Not gonna be a show truck but something to take down the dirt roads and hunt from. There is definitely some smell coming from it, not sure what's all in there. It will be satisfying to clean the interior and rid of the smell. Not sure why it's parked in 4LO.

I'm gonna offer him $500 and hope there's not much to getting it to move on it's own.
If you decide to pass, please forward the information to me. I may seriously consider this. Even though it's green....... (inside and out)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom