Wiring harness (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Several good harness threads. Bottom line. Print out a wiring diagram, there is a colored one that prints on a couple of sheets of paper. It is great as a reference. Label and remove the harness. Lay it out on a sheet of plywood. Remove any covering that looks bad and check for solid wires. Start at one end and make a list of everything that needs to be fixed or replaced. Talk to @Coolerman about what you need. Buy some extra connectors as you will mess some up.

This is how I did mine. I really thought my harness was in bad shape and wanted to buy a new harness, until I checked it out closely. Most of the wires were solid. Coolerman has all the correct connectors and wire. Doing it yourself is a good learning experience :)

Let me know if you need links to those threads, I have some saved.

What emac said. Coolman has all the factory correct wire colors if you have any that are needing replaced. If your harness is still hooked up, label everything as you disconnect it. It's time consuming but nice to have factory correct wire colors & connectors.
IMG_0329.PNG

Followed. I have a '74 that is basically stripped that will require a new wiring harness. Does Mr. Coolerman offer such services? Or instructions on doing it myself? Thank you!

I think he may be able to make you one, if he has time and he also can get most of the wires and connections if you want to do it yourself. I just printed off a wiring diagram off the Internet to repair mine.
Good luck

I can NOT build a full new harness for any FJ40 built after 9/71. Reason is simple: Toyota changed a bunch of the connectors used after that date to ones that are no longer available anywhere. The primary ones that cannot be had are the three in line fuse panel connectors, (though I do carry the terminals for them) and the Hazard Switch.

The best bet if you do not have any harness at all: Buy a used one, then go through it to repair it. I carry most of the connectors and terminals, carry most of the wire colors and gauges, and also have the harness wrap needed to wrap the harness back up.

Critical Tip: MAKE SURE that any used harness you buy is correct for the MONTH and YEAR of your FJ40! Toyota made many mid year wiring changes over the years. Failure to do this may result in much frustration when you try to plug in your OEM switches only to find they won't mate up. Especially if you live in an Emissions state! Basically the switches you use MUST match the year of harness you buy. If you can find a complete harness WITH SWITCHES you will be miles ahead.

If you have a 10/71 to 9/72 FJ40 or a 10/72 to 9/73 FJ40 and need a full harness: GOOD LUCK! These harnesses are rare as they were only made for that one year. They are not interchangeable either!

My much older then 1976 fj40, we went with an EZ-Wiring harness, 12 circuit I think. Me and my son installed it a few weeks ago. Went a lot smoother then I though, we put all the wires in shrink wrap, used the terminals that also heat shrink and glue themselves to the wires all plastic covered terminals. Ran a ground wire inside for everything. So front lights, rear lights, dash everything uses a wire to ground instead of the frame and body. Could not be happier. Modern wire, fuses, fuse panel, relays etc. My 1962 harness had been hacked to peaces plus those old wires, the plastic coating had hairline cracks, while they looked good, when stripping them you could tell they were all corroded inside and copper turning green or black. I have no doubt if I tried to use my 57 year old wires I would be chasing gremlins non stop. Only part I might reuse it the windshield wiper harness. I did cut the two connectors that plug into the cluster and reused those connectors. Everything else 100% new modern and sealed.

Critical Tip: MAKE SURE that any used harness you buy is correct for the MONTH and YEAR of your FJ40! Toyota made many mid year wiring changes over the years. Failure to do this may result in much frustration when you try to plug in your OEM switches only to find they won't mate up. Especially if you live in an Emissions state! Basically the switches you use MUST match the year of harness you buy. If you can find a complete harness WITH SWITCHES you will be miles ahead.

That is some solid, useful info. Many of us could benefit from that one paragraph.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom