Events/Trails Possible camping trips for 2023 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alia176

SILVER Star
Threads
I wanted to throw some ideas at the wall to see what sticks for 2023. Gas prices are coming down and hopefully they stay down! These are some random ideas that came to me, if you have additional ideas, i'll update this list.

When it comes to camping in Canyonlands Nat'l Park, you are required to have a permit. I've been pulling the permits in the past but if someone else wants to pull permits, plan a trip, please feel free. One permit can have three vehicles. A trailer and a moto are considered vehicles. Last year each permit cost me $80.

- Overland Expo Flagstaff, May 19 - 21 (fixed in stone)
- Canyonlands Devil's kitchen- spring of 2023?

- Canyonlands Doll house inside the Maze district -fall of 2023?
- El Rito, NM - - summer 2023?
- Taos, NM - Robert Plant and Allison Krause concert. June 18.
- Aug 2023. This might be the last time for me.

- Random trips to the Jemez mountain - all year long
- Possible camping during Cruise Moab, but not part of the CM'22 Apr 19-21
- Hole in the Rock - spring of 2023?
- UTBDR - spring of 2023?
- Caballo peak/Palomas gap - fall of 2023?
- Cibola down south, Monticello area Springtime CG - fall of 2023?
- Gila mountain fall of 2023?
- Water Canyon CG and then hit the trails to Mt. Baldy. Also there's a cool observatory in the area. fall of 2023?
- Gila nat'l forest, Chloride ghost town, Luna FS campground fall of 2023?
- Quemado lake area? fall of 2023?
- Pie town area? fall of 2023?
- Comb wash ridge, Arch canyon, hotel rock trails - spring or fall
- Toroweap north rim, AZ - fall of 2023?
- Canyon de Chelly? Need a Navajo guide, can we still drive into the canyon with the guide?
- Pecos camping - summer 2023
- Angel Fire, Red River, Goose Lake- summer 2023
- Bottomless lakes state park
- Heron lake- summer 2023?
- Medano pass road at Great Sand Dunes CO- summer 2023?
- Mt Blanca - summer 2023
- Hermit Pass, CO.- summer 2023
- Long Canyon, UT Long Canyon, Utah - Slot Canyon near Lake Powell
- Point Sublime North Rim Grand Canyon Grand Canyon Point Sublime - Point Sublime - North Rim Grand Canyon Sublime - fall of 2023?
- Red Canyon in the Manzanos - cruise up FR 422 off of US 60 through Priest Canyon
- Lake Abiqui - below the dam. Rio Chama is calmer there for water play and fishing
- Water Canyon/No. Baldyfall of 2023?
- Heron Lake - summer 2023?
- Costilla River Trail over the Valle Vidal-
- Mills Canyon near Roy, NM - summer or fall 2023?

Rio La Junta: Pick it up at Tres Ritos and it runs all the way North/Northeast to Hwy 434 just below Angel Fire.

USFS #87…pick it up near Cumbres/Hwy 17 and it rolls mostly east to Hwy 285 with forks here and there.

Costilla River trail: Not sure how much of this is open to motorized traffic; pick this trail, starts as an asphalt road, near Amailia on Hwy 196 just off of Hwy 522 north of Questa. Trail opens July 1…

Last edited:
Wow - great list Ash. Love this!!

I may not be able to do alot of this but here are some things that spark my interest. This list is from the viewpoint of "new for me trails/destinations".

Spring 2023
- Hole in the Rock - spring of 2023?
- UTBDR - spring of 2023?
- Canyon de Chelly? Need a Navajo guide, can we still drive into the canyon with the guide?

Summer 2023
- Pecos camping - summer 2023
- Angel Fire, Red River, Goose Lake- summer 2023
- Hermit Pass, CO.- summer 2023
- San Juan mountains - somewhere other than Ouray? Aug 2023. Just throwing this out there. Time for a change of scenery.

Fall 2023
- Caballo peak/Palomas gap - fall of 2023?
- Point Sublime North Rim Grand Canyon Grand Canyon Point Sublime - Point Sublime - North Rim Grand Canyon Sublime - fall of 2023?
- Cibola down south, Monticello area Springtime CG - fall of 2023?
- Gila mountain fall of 2023?
- Toroweap north rim, AZ - fall of 2023?

Winter 2023
- Red Canyon in the Manzanos - cruise up FR 422 off of US 60 through Priest Canyon

That's a great list and great start. I have a few other possibilities:
- Rainbow Rim Trail area on North Kaibab Ranger District--camping, hiking, mtb'ing
- Wheeling and camping the Las Cruces area
- Big Bend
- Visiting some AZ caves I just read about connected to some other exploring--Lava Tubes on the Coconino NF, Cave of the Bells in Onur's back yard, Peppersauce Cave near Oracle, AZ, and Coronado Cave near Hereford, AZ
- So much of southern Utah I haven't seen
- San Juans for sure, not sure where to stay besides Ouray. Exploring the Grand Mesa portion of the GMUG NF when aspen are turning in the fall.
- I want to go back to a place Juane took me about 18 years ago on the Coyote RD, to some indigenous ruins that require a permit and a couple mile hike in. Similar to Tsankawi in Bandelier, but unknown. I think it is off FSR 20.
- Cloudcroft or Ruidoso areas to escape the heat.

I'm game for anything. Many of these places I haven't been. The only trip I would like to put an exclamation on is UTBDR.

This is fantastic Ali!

Based on overlap- I am definitely interested in Angel Fire, Red River, Goose Lake
  • Cloudcroft, Ruidoso sounds good
  • Big Bend-Lurch has been for sure- I want to say his family has land down there.
  • Rio La Junta
  • Grand Canyon- specifically to look for Prehistory
  • Several spots below Abiqui I have been meaning to check off.
  • UTBDR
  • Long Canyon, UT
  • I have no life, can we do them all?(clearly- see below)
Here are two of my summer projects which may supersede "camping trip" definitions.

New Mexico Alpine Lake Discovery Project and Navajo Lake "Back Country Bass Camp Discovery" I can send google earth projects if you are interested.
Taos Cluster or Latire Cluster- Find access to a chunk of the below alpine water destinations. Should be gorgeous with a fair bit of hiking and an agenda based on opportunity and energy. (No Pappy, I don't plan on doing them all at once...😘)
Taos ski area is jam-packed with lakes as you can see.

Navajo BCR is simply trying to find the absolute best and most remote camp sites on the lake.
(May come in two phases- kayak scouting/pin drop and then try and find a wheeling access point.)

Taos Cluster- (framed by Questa, Red River, Taos and Eagle Nest)
Taos cluster2.JPG

Latire Cluster is just North of Taos Cluster I may start there as it is more manageable.
Latir complex.JPG

Nice list everyone.

I'll be at OverExpensive Expo definitely (work obligation).

If I have my PZJ70 up and running, I'll join in on some of these.

Or maybe bike some of these. :lol:

That's a great goal dude, and bring the bike too.

Nice list everyone.

I'll be at OverExpensive Expo definitely (work obligation).

If I have my PZJ70 up and running, I'll join in on some of these.

Or maybe bike some of these. :lol:
These days I'm much more interested in wheeling just to get to mtb and camping spots. Ali says there is some fun/interesting biking down your way, so it's on my list

Epic list!
Hmmm Blanca... I need to finish my 60 :bang:

Every spring I drove FS87/17 to fix fence before the cattle came in. It was an annual ritual of teen age boys in beatup pickups crashing through snow drifts for the glory of being the first one in.
I'd dig recreating that adventure - Tres Piedras or Antonito to Chama over Cumbres Pass or vice versa. Camping would be very brisk, especially north of Cruces Basin or it can be done in one long day

FWIW Farmington fall crawl 2023 is Sept 6-8

These days I'm much more interested in wheeling just to get to mtb and camping spots. Ali says there is some fun/interesting biking down your way, so it's on my list
If you have not yet MTB Angelfire it's a must, just take heed when they say "...there is no easy way down."

I have always wanted to ride the Taos rim as well, so there would be some pretty epic opportunities attached to those areas

If you have not yet MTB Angelfire it's a must, just take heed when they say "...there is no easy way down."

I have always wanted to ride the Taos rim as well, so there would be some pretty epic opportunities attached to those areas

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Angel Fire MTB ride is all about buckaroo bansei (spell) going downhill, yes? So, take the chair up and haul arse down, if I'm not mistaken.

Riding Taos rim sounds pretty cool and that'd definitely be a summer thing.

Yes. Ali. I think you are right about Angel Fire. I've heard it is best to wreck I mean rent a bike for those trails.

Everybody's camping lists are impressive! I am down for doing as many as possible if the invite stays open.

One area that I have always wanted to explore and camp in is the North Jemez, north of highway 96.North of Gallina , NM. west of Abiquiu Lake area.
FR 77, 64 11. etc. Should be some great views into the Chama River Canyon Wilderness. Not far away, but little used area.

Looks like part of the Continental Divide trail goes through this area.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Angel Fire MTB ride is all about buckaroo bansei (spell) going downhill, yes? So, take the chair up and haul arse down, if I'm not mistaken.

Riding Taos rim sounds pretty cool and that'd definitely be a summer thing.
Yup, it is a world class MTB park with just about something for everyone taste wise. Bridges, technical, table tops.. utter insanity that should include parachutes. It does not have to be an all-out-booty-mover (in fact I would recommend taking your time well under your limits).

The area has quite a few trails- check the link, Eagle nest lake and other bodies of water and well... it's just a plain sexy area.

And oh damn have you stepped in it now mentioning Buckaroo Banzai...
Loading fanspam.
tumblr_67b848d35c390deb1246cf5ddb563cbb_19476784_500.gif
xfphsfr.gif
big-boo-tay.gif
Buckaroo Banzai.gif
MixedBitesizedDogfish-max-1mb.gif

If anyone in the chapter is interested in spending time this summer around Taos, just keep it to yours---
Umm, I mean, feel free to let me know and I'd be glad to help set things up!*

*Some assembly required. Add'l charges may apply.

By Taos Rim do you mean the South Boundary Trail? It is fun, I'd love to do it again. My riding partner and I have talked about riding it both ways, but I'm not sure that will happen.

If you don't want to wait for camping season in Pecos and you like downhill flow, go hit up Chips n Salsa at Glorieta, it's fun as s***.

Would definitely need to rent a wreck at Angel Fire. This is my newest build. Can't afford gears.
IMG_1090.jpeg

By Taos Rim do you mean the South Boundary Trail? It is fun, I'd love to do it again. My riding partner and I have talked about riding it both ways, but I'm not sure that will happen.

If you don't want to wait for camping season in Pecos and you like downhill flow, go hit up Chips n Salsa at Glorieta, it's fun as s***.

Would definitely need to rent a wreck at Angel Fire. This is my newest build. Can't afford gears.
View attachment 3212414

Yeah, that is probably what I am talking about- I have never been but I heard it is stellar. I will definitely shoot for that chips and salsa biz... sounds awesome. I am going to research that one for sure.

Question, I did Angel Fire on my 2014 Stump Jumper and found it to be just fine though... of course I was not riding hard because I value my life. What is it about AF that makes you not want to ride your bike on it?

Side story- I went to a bike shop in Sedona AZ, they asked what I had brought to ride and I told them my 04 Kona Dawg Delux... (in my mind probably the toughest bike ever made- certainly the toughest I have ever owned) they told me I did not want to ride it in Sedona because of the Vortexes... they would shake my bike to pieces- tried to rent me an Iron Horse.

I laughed so hard I broke wind.

Yeah, that is probably what I am talking about- I have never been but I heard it is stellar. I will definitely shoot for that chips and salsa biz... sounds awesome. I am going to research that one for sure.

Question, I did Angel Fire on my 2014 Stump Jumper and found it to be just fine though... of course I was not riding hard because I value my life. What is it about AF that makes you not want to ride your bike on it?

Side story- I went to a bike shop in Sedona AZ, they asked what I had brought to ride and I told them my 04 Kona Dawg Delux... (in my mind probably the toughest bike ever made- certainly the toughest I have ever owned) they told me I did not want to ride it in Sedona because of the Vortexes... they would shake my bike to pieces- tried to rent me an Iron Horse.

I laughed so hard I broke wind.
Chips n Salsa is new. When I rode it maybe a month or so ago, there was still trail building equipment on site. It was in perfect condition, nice flow, high-banked turns, some big tabletops. It was a blast.

If I spend a bunch of money to ride a chairlift up, I want a downhill bike I can ride hard (and probably some protective gear), not one of my hard tail single speeds. If I have to hold back, I might as well stick to XC trails.

That's a funny Sedona story. I don't know about the vortexes, but the trails were definitely rough and shook me and my bike pretty well.

Chips n Salsa is new. When I rode it maybe a month or so ago, there was still trail building equipment on site. It was in perfect condition, nice flow, high-banked turns, some big tabletops. It was a blast.

If I spend a bunch of money to ride a chairlift up, I want a downhill bike I can ride hard (and probably some protective gear), not one of my hard tail single speeds. If I have to hold back, I might as well stick to XC trails.

That's a funny Sedona story. I don't know about the vortexes, but the trails were definitely rough and shook me and my bike pretty well.
Well, if what I had to ride was a hard tail single speed.... I would ABSOLUTELY rent a full suspension... LOL!

My mouth is watering for chips n salsa.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom