Window regulators (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My driver door window regulator was shot. Makes sense as that is the window that gets used the most. I had an extra but wrong side but it was very good condition. I took the crank part off the good one and replaced the bad one in the driver regulator. Works great now.

SOR shows the following timeline for these:
1676907416359.png

My driverside window takes two hands to either go up or down. One on the handle and one on the glass. But I'm glad that i can move it.
I saw an 80 series door guts once and noticed how similar they were to 55 door guts. And we know how Toyoda san loves to repeat himself.
Wonder how hard it would be if one had an 80 door. And switches.

Hmm

The more yellow finish is also advertised as1975-1980

Both are supposedly front right door 75-80

1969-74 here

None look that close to an 80-series to me

06373216-2201-4919-91D8-E0475D0A0428.jpeg

125183A1-B9AB-4049-ADEE-054B649B1D54.jpeg

Here are what the regulators look like from my 1969. Different than the later years without vent windows for sure. I took a lot of time cleaning and greasing and trying to make my windows work…and now they do. I probably put in, took them out, put them back I several times during the process. Each time all the pivot points messed with my brain tryin to get them aligned correctly. LOL

82847339-7FC5-4E9A-814C-76B5FC634226.jpeg

Wow, this is a can o worms! I’m going to have to see if repairs are possible or fabricating something.
I had a inoperable DS front and the teeth on the 'quarter moon' had been severely deteriorated from use. I had an old 40 window crank, cut about a two inch span out with a matching cut out on the 55 moon, and welded it in.. works great... the curves are not identical, but the tooth spacing is, so a short insert span from the works... but the entire span would not because of the different arcs,,,,even new aftermarket 40 assemblies are available.. worked for me...

I had a inoperable DS front and the teeth on the 'quarter moon' had been severely deteriorated from use. I had an old 40 window crank, cut about a two inch span out with a matching cut out on the 55 moon, and welded it in.. works great... the curves are not identical, but the tooth spacing is, so a short insert span from the works... but the entire span would not because of the different arcs,,,,even new aftermarket 40 assemblies are available.. worked for me...
That would be a great one to see some pics of.

Sorry for the delay on pics.... First chance to get to the garage today... but, as promised... The back story is about two years ago my front DS would not go up/down w/o assist on the 77 Red/white ... I had several donor 40 cranks, and after comparing the two 'quarter moons", I decided to cut about 2" out of a 40 donor and mate it up to the 55 quarter moon, make the marks, cut the worn piece out, weld the 40 donor piece in. Once welded in, I realized the smaller fixed drive gear that is mounted in a hub was really wobbly.. so the 40 donor was sacrificed again... The window works great.. So good, I had another one built just in case... so the pics below are of a repaired one, the original donor.... and then another drivers door I purchased off mud showing basically another problem area and another donor 40... FYI. the arcs of the quarter moons of the 40 and 55 are slightly different, and cannot be interchanged..IMHO However, for the span I needed, about 2", it works just fine... the teeth are the same, and the drive gears are the same...
window crank repair 1.jpg

window crank repair 2.jpg

window crank repair 3.jpg

window crank repair 4.jpg

window crank repair 5.jpg

The two SS bolts holding the small drive gear housing in place are temporary, from about a year ago... the hub/housing will be spot welded onto the frame after the bolts are removed.... but this one works as well as the first one even with the bolts in.... the last couple of pics are for comparison on the 55 and 40 quarter moon...The cranks on mine all had the same problem... the teeth had been ground down to nothing by the 'drive gear' which must be made of a harder metal I guess... Cut the toothless arc out, weld in a 40 donor (or maybe a 60?) and your golden...All three of my toothless drivers door arcs were worn for about 1.5-2".. A little more 411 observation, I had a spare rear tailgate window gear, that looked like a perfect arc match ... but didn't want to kill it... 40 donors and aftermarkets are everywhere..

whats sweet about this repair is the donor part of the arc can come from any 40 door, and possibly any 60... pick the best condition 2" 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️ span of the donor arc ...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom