Why are my tires spinning when off-road? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
IMG_3713.JPG
i took the Berdoo Canyon Road into Joshua Tree National Park going uphill when everyone else got the memo to go downhill.

I got crazy looks from a hummer tour operator and a few jeeps coming downhill.

I made it into Joshua Tree but my tires were spinning too much in a couple of sections in low gear with the center diff locked.

I'll post a video when I get home showing 3 different wheels spinning in a this mild section shown in picture.

I thought vsc trac was supposed to prevent this. What's wrong with my 2003 setup? Any ideas on why a single tire would spin for like 10 to 15 seconds?

message Dan Kunz. He is very well versed in all thing GX

What rpm's? I forget the cutoff, but I seem to recall traction control cuts out above a certain rpm. I've found it works well up to at least 2000rpm, but I try to keep it below that.

1500-2000 rpm is the cut off for ATRAC (due to wheel speed increasing, it will stop and act like a normal open 4x4 system). You can encourage it to keep working by feathering your brakes. General rule is to go slow and low and let ATRAC "eat" or, if you need momentum, to use your brake to keep the wheel spin slow and continue to engage with a bit more momentum. Just avoid the hoppy hoppy!

Not sure this is public or not, but gives you an idea of the cut off wheel speed in several sections and how to work around it.

Thanks for the info and video. I didn't realize there was a cutoff based on RPMs.

The tire spins on the gx470 seem to be a lot more than what I remember having on my 80.

I'm gonna try the low and slow method, but any advice on getting a lokka for the rear? Is the benefit worth the cost?

Thanks for the info and video. I didn't realize there was a cutoff based on RPMs.

The tire spins on the gx470 seem to be a lot more than what I remember having on my 80.

I'm gonna try the low and slow method, but any advice on getting a lokka for the rear? Is the benefit worth the cost?

A rear locker in a GX is a major upgrade. You still have ATRAC up front with a true locked rear. It opens up some issues with momentum and the stock R&P strength on the 8.0 rear. I blew mine up and went to 4.56s and lockers last year.

Another ATRAC video for you-

Some wheelspin is normal.

@JLee your atrac looks good. Mine not so good.

See my video...see if it works...having trouble linking a video...

Here's the YouTube link....let's see if this works

Last edited:
I was able to upload a YouTube video. Let me know if my atrac appears awol

Looks fine. You need to get used to it and learn to two foot drive.

@DanKunz thanks for the reply. Just seems like too much spin for me. I'll keep on wheeling slow and low and I'll think about the rear Lokka as a possible upgrade.

My friend was ahead of me on a stock 2005 LR3 with OEM rear and center locks. He had a much easier time going uphill than me. The rear lockers made a big difference for him.

You DID have the CDL locked and the light was on the dash yeah?

Yes, I put it on low and center was locked. I could see center locked on dashboard.

I'm not sure if I'm seeing it right, but it looks like you were getting on and off the throttle repeatedly -- what works for me is to hold a low and steady throttle input and let ATRAC do its thing.

That is what I saw too, hence my comment on getting used to it. You have to hold steady throttle!

You need to be smoother. Like was stated. But wheelspin is expected with ATRAC. It takes a little spin before it starts to work. You can also left foot brake and that may help. Again, low RPM and Steady throttle. LR4's (I don't know about LR3) has a really good version of atrac and locking setups. I really want a rear locker :).

Thanks for the feedback. I will put the new knowledge to use on the next trip

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom