White smoke fuel smell after Bosch injector upgrade. Help? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just replaced the original injectors with the Bosch for hole upgrade and the old girl just keeps flooding I can't drive it there's so much smoke and it's missing a bit it's just getting way too much fuel. Did these injectors show up bad regularly?

It's just terrible. Checked the banjo bolt and cleared the fuel line, not finding any vacuum leaks. ECM has been reset, just don't know what to do next. Not in the woods, just wanted a good picture here

1000021369.jpg

Sounds like an injector is stuck open, did you use wiring adapters? Or did your old wiring clips snap right on.

No adapters, just popped it on. 6 for 6. Seems right though, there's an awful lot of fuel coming out the back end. Heading back to the mountains tomorrow night, not looking super promising at the moment. Are they supposed to have adapters?

Which ones did you get?
But sounds like one is stuck. You can try tapping on each on while running to see if one is just stuck.

just don't know what to do next.
Send your OEM injectors out to get cleaned, flow tested, and balanced. Reinstall.
You should also add information about your vehicle in your signature so we know what engine you're referring to.

I just replaced the original injectors with the Bosch for hole upgrade and the old girl just keeps flooding I can't drive it there's so much smoke and it's missing a bit it's just getting way too much fuel. Did these injectors show up bad regularly?

It's just terrible. Checked the banjo bolt and cleared the fuel line, not finding any vacuum leaks. ECM has been reset, just don't know what to do next. Not in the woods, just wanted a good picture here

View attachment 3570238
Thread title says "white smoke". Is this correct? Overly rich/unburnt fuel is black not white.

Mark...

Thread title says "white smoke". Is this correct? Overly rich/unburnt fuel is black not white.

Mark...
Very strong fuel smell, but yes the smoke is white. They replaced the rad at the same time and reported a brief coolant leak when installing the injectors.

I was saying a stuck injector is indeed white smoke. Stuck injector was not coolant related, just a shorted out injector.
I hear you - I was just thinking I moved a lot of stuff in ther ebehind the glove box, could have generated a similar short. Got a replacement set of injectors coming Wed, but it would be great to solve it before then.

With the truck running use a long metal something and listen to your injector bodies you should hear them clicking. Also try moving your wiring around by the egr pipe and behind the glove box look to make sure there is no wiring running on the metal and move those around also.

What I’d do is unplug each injector 1 at a time and do 2 checks each time.

First check is to take a continuity check on each wire on that injector to ground. Toyota switches ground to fire the injector that’s why a short to ground holds the injector open. If you find a short wiggle and move the harness to hopefully find the affected area.

Second test is to start the engine and confirm there is an idle change. If there is no idle change then that injector is physically stuck open and tapping might get it going. If the idling suddenly changes while tapping the injector has freed up. If the idling doesn’t change the injector needs to be replaced.

Best of luck.

What I’d do is unplug each injector 1 at a time and do 2 checks each time.

First check is to take a continuity check on each wire on that injector to ground. Toyota switches ground to fire the injector that’s why a short to ground holds the injector open. If you find a short wiggle and move the harness to hopefully find the affected area.

Second test is to start the engine and confirm there is an idle change. If there is no idle change then that injector is physically stuck open and tapping might get it going. If the idling suddenly changes while tapping the injector has freed up. If the idling doesn’t change the injector needs to be replaced.

Best of luck.
Fantastic, thank you

Take a quick look at the wiring harness at the back of the engine/firewall where Toyota routed it rather close to the EGR tube. Over the years very many '80s wind up with the harness shifting to touch the hot metal... and then melting the sheathing, the insulation and the wires into a nasty short circuited mess on the trail 60 miles from the road in the middle of the night with a load of caribou meat in the back... Okay, maybe most don't suffer *exactly* that failure... But check the harness there and secure it away from the EGR tube so that you don't have to wonder where YOU will be when it happens. ;)

Mark...

Last edited:
Take a quick look at the wiring harness at the back of the engine/firewall where Toyota routed it rather close to the EGR tube. Over the years very many '80s wind up with the harness shifting to touch the hot metal... and then melting the sheathing, the insulation and the wires into a nasty short circuited mess on the trail 60 miles from the road in the middle of the night with a load of caribou meat in the back... Okay, maybe most don't suffer *exactly* that failure... But check the harness there. and secure it away from the EGR tube so that you don't have to wonder where YOU will be when it happens. ;)

Mark...
1000021540.jpg

I hear you. This is where she's supposed to be this weekend. Can't believe I got this thing in here without breaking something

Can you provide the listing/details for the injectors you used? Stock should be around 305cc, if you some how used larger injectors the computer is not going to be able to compensate. Do you have any codes?

Can you provide the listing/details for the injectors you used? Stock should be around 305cc, if you some how used larger injectors the computer is not going to be able to compensate. Do you have any codes?
No codes, save just the standard Bosch upgrade from cruiserparts.net, they only have one model for the 80s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom