Whiny Power Steering (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 2004 UZJ100 with ~225k miles recently started whining when first started. It got worse today to the point it was doing it all the time, and I quickly isolated it to the power steering pump. Searched Mud for power steering whine, and turned up issues with serpentine belt and air in PS system.

After work, I decided to have a closer look. I pulled the hose from the reservoir to the pump suction, and the fluid only dribbled out. The pump was starved for fluid. I emptied the reservoir, and the mesh screen in the bottom was almost completely choked up with black solid gunk. Must have been residue from inside the hoses, I suppose. I cleaned it with brake cleaner, rinsed it with gasoline, let dry, and rinsed with ATF.

Reinstalled and refilled the reservoir, and now, nice and quiet. Hopefully, this experience will be helpful to someone down the road.

My 2004 UZJ100 with ~225k miles recently started whining when first started. It got worse today to the point it was doing it all the time, and I quickly isolated it to the power steering pump. Searched Mud for power steering whine, and turned up issues with serpentine belt and air in PS system.

After work, I decided to have a closer look. I pulled the hose from the reservoir to the pump suction, and the fluid only dribbled out. The pump was starved for fluid. I emptied the reservoir, and the mesh screen in the bottom was almost completely choked up with black solid gunk. Must have been residue from inside the hoses, I suppose. I cleaned it with brake cleaner, rinsed it with gasoline, let dry, and rinsed with ATF.

Reinstalled and refilled the reservoir, and now, nice and quiet. Hopefully, this experience will be helpful to someone down the road.
Sounds like you are due for some new hoses. John

Thanks for posting. Very helpful as I hear the same whining noise every once in a while. 5 years ago I did find the reservoir had run completely dry with no sign of leaks anywhere. Haven't seen that again since though.

Mine isnt whining but I noticed a leak at what appears to be the connections where each of the 2 hoses plugs into the power steering reservoir and oily residue on several components below indicating a small leak. Fluid level is still good so its just a very slow leak but I don't want one to blow out and leave me stranded or burn up the power steering motor.

Now I dont know if theyre high pressure or low pressure but I do know that some other threads mention replacement cost as being very high. Can anybody steer me to toyota part numbers for these (2) hoses or is this something that I can go to Advance or Napa and show them the hose and they'll have one in stock?

Thanks

Heres the hoses I'm referring to that appear to be leaking.

rwlaxc.jpg

Looks like the one on the left and I just need to know if its something that an auto parts store would have or should I order a yota part number?

I drained the PS reservoir, hoses and cleaned all of them. I went to Home Depot and got some hose clamps. I reinstalled the lines with the hose clamps and OEM clamps and refilled with new PS fluid. No more leaks. The OEM band clamps seem to loose their tension after a while. Hose clamps are the easiest and adjustable if you ever see them leaking again.

DuckLN said:
Heres the hoses I'm referring to that appear to be leaking.

Looks like the one on the left and I just need to know if its something that an auto parts store would have or should I order a yota part number?

If you wanted new hoses, I would not hesitate to just get hose from a local auto parts store. There is nothing special about that hose that would require Toyota.

I need to do this. My ps has been whining for quite some time. Also, I will replace the clamps with actual clamps that can be tightened. Thanks for all the ideas.

Understood. I think for sure I need to clean the mesh filter thing. Can that be accessed without removing the entire reservoir?

No there is no filter on the top of my reservior just a smll hole in the top. I thought there was a filter possibly in the bottom of the reservior befor it goes into the hose and to the pump? Maybe not?

Mine whines on cold mornings, will be pulling my reservoir and checking that screen. From what I can see I don't have any leaks...

Anybody have a pic of the screen at the bottom of the res?
At every oil change I use a mityvac vacuum pump and bell jar to suck all the old fluid out of the reservoir and I replace it with M1 ATF. When doing so I try to get as much of the chesse off the bottom of the reservoir as possible. I would like to aim for the screen if there is one.

I am going to drain mine, clean it and refill it. How do you bleed the system once you refill it? Do you just start the LC and turn the wheel lock to lock a few times?

Last edited:
I am going to drain mine, clean it and refill it. How do you bleed the system once you refill it? Do you just start the LC and turn the wheel lock to lock a few times?

Yep, thats all I've ever done. There isn't really any bleeding if you're just messing with the reservoir.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom