Which early 2000s are most reliable ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have never worked on or owned a tacoma. I have been tossing up the idea of owning a Tacoma. I install networks. So that can require caring a ladder, part supplies and so on. I do not want a stick shift because traffic in Seattle is hell meaning...lots of shifting doing 15 mph on I-5.

How reliable are Tacoma from the 1998 to 2005 model years? Dont want to spend alot of money. Fuel economy?
I have also considered a Toyota Sienna or Honda Odyssey. But Odyssey have transmission over heat issues that cause them to fail. My most ideal vehicle with be a ford Transit connect but those are out of my budget for now.

I drive the sh*t out of my 95.5 tacoma without hesitation. It has somewhere around 400k on the ticker, and the first gens are relatively easy to find with a manual/ v6/ 4wd like mine which is a nice package that will cruise down the highway @ 80 mph and get close to 20 mpgs

And plus, you can usually find a 3.4L motor hiding in most junkyards since they were used in a few different rigs

I have a 2004 ExCab with 325K on original motor. Runs like new and uses no oil between changes. Full synthetic oil only since new.

WOW... I LOVE reliable, simplicity and low cost...oh and good fuel economy. I have found that Toyota Sienna's are REALLY reliable. The Early 2000s Honda Odyssey have overheat failed transmission issues. The mazda mpv is also really reliable. But... I think I can see a Toyota Tacoma in my future. The down side is the high value of a used Tacoma.

My 2000 has been incredible. Can't recommend it enough. Always synthetic since new, 19MPG hwy.

'03 owned since new. Drug my new toy home yesterday. No issues except I have a check engine light on for "Insufficient Purge Flow" (carbon can or vapor valve issue) and the bumpers rusted out. I also had the rear axle vent cap corrode shut (this is the rust belt) which caused axle oil to puke on the rear brakes. That was an opportunity to go with an extended axle breather vent. Other than that it's been flawless.

Eric

My '99 has been a dependable daily driver for the last 15 years. I carry ladders, ferry heavy HVAC parts and load it down with trash all the time. Just hit 150,000 miles on my V6 today. You can't go wrong with a Tacoma.

images (5).jpg

I have a 2004 ExCab with 325K on original motor. Runs like new and uses no oil between changes. Full synthetic oil only since new.

Wow. How many times have you changed the timing belt/water pump?

I have only had the truck for a year now. Those items will be addressed soon. Truck runs great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom