Which CV Axles? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not to pile on my man, but they're different. One was significantly smaller.

^^^^

Yep, I'd have to say a full 1/2" makes one distinctively different.

Diff seals.jpg
Diff seals1.jpg
Diff seals2.jpg

I feel your pain... Even at employee cost I paid a little over $400 for one.
I was going to go with aftermarket or rebuilt ones but these ones lasted 200k miles, so wth.

Good luck, would love to know how they do.
Right, and if it weren't for them being so damn expensive I would. The reason that I am more looking at the AM axles is simply because this is starting to feel like a "time sensitive" situation. Had the window rolled down the other morning when I was backing out of the driveway. R-D ended up being much MUCH more of a metal TING CLUNK sound as I shifted into D and freeplay moved forwards.

This sound comes MOST from the drivers side, which if you go back through my build thread you will see is the side that the shop that installed the chinesium axles used a ground down C-clip to hold things on. So fully expecting that one day I will have a detonation on that side when the clip gives way.

Right, and if it weren't for them being so damn expensive I would. The reason that I am more looking at the AM axles is simply because this is starting to feel like a "time sensitive" situation. Had the window rolled down the other morning when I was backing out of the driveway. R-D ended up being much MUCH more of a metal TING CLUNK sound as I shifted into D and freeplay moved forwards.

This sound comes MOST from the drivers side, which if you go back through my build thread you will see is the side that the shop that installed the chinesium axles used a ground down C-clip to hold things on. So fully expecting that one day I will have a detonation on that side when the clip gives way.

What local shop did the work? I have a guess...

What local shop did the work? I have a guess...
Well I purchased the rig from a guy in Vegas... All suspension work and axles was done by 4WP down there. I used the one up here in Sparks ONCE and that experience (just retail mind you) was enough to turn me off!

Well damn... Talked to my buddy that works at the local Toyota Dealership and is the parts manager... my price for the outer CV shaft portion is $292 delivered!! Cheapest I have seen online is from McGeorge at $198/ea. not including tax and shipping. That coupled with the $100+ shipping for the goobered OEMs that another MUDDER is offering me I am looking at over $600 when all is said and done, I think. Haven't calculated out completely.

NOTE: Just calculated out the cost of just the outers will end up being ~$450 with tax and shipping, another $150-$200 for goobered axles once said and done, then new boots (might as well do them while everything is coming apart anyways) which will be another $50+ per, so all in I am looking at pretty much the cost of new OEM purchased vs. attempting to rebuild.. Yeah just can't swing that.

So now back to Cardone or if I want to be a guinea pig for Nitro/JD?! Cardone are definitely the much cheaper option as I can have those to my door for less than $200, which is the cost of ONE Nitro.

Last edited:
Ok well that saves me like $100 on it.
Discussion going around Reno, Carson City and Sparks!! ...

LEt me join as a former resident of Reno!

The outer shaft assembly at McGeorge is $185 and shipping (they won't charge tax): Check with them to know the exact shipping quote. The shaft assembly comes with inboard joint, boot clamps and grease necessary (see the thread below). I went with thos route about a month ago and did a complete thread.

Do you have your OEM inboard joint? If not this is not going to work for you.

Last edited:
Discussion going around Reno, Carson City and Sparks!! ...

LEt me join as a former resident of Reno!

The outer shaft assembly at McGeorge is $185 and shipping (they won't charge tax): Check with them to know the exact shipping quote. The shaft assembly comes with inboard joint, boot clamps and grease necessary (see the thread below). I went with thos route about a month ago and did a complete thread.

Do you have your OEM inboard joint? If not this is not going to work for you.

Thats the problem... I don't currently have OEM axles, another member offered me his spares that have been sitting his garage but shipping is killer. Yeah McGeorge is the cheapest at $185 ($371 for both) plus $62 for shipping, so that is almost $450 right there for just the outboard. Add in another almost $200 for the axles to be rebuilt and then possibly needing inboard boots ($56/ea.) and yeah things add up. Still a bit cheaper than OEM but close enough.

So at this rate the Nitro's shipped from JustDifferentials would end up costing me right at $400, or..
the Cardone HD (with heavy duty boot) would cost me right at $200 shipped.

Unfortunate part is I would really like to go with the OEMs but need this done sooner than later and on a tight budget at the moment. Swinging the Nitro's would be doable, but the extra costs associated with the OEM to rebuild is just outta the question at the moment. Alita currently has SurTrack chinesium axles that are making noise, so between that and the s***ty install from the shop the PO had do it, yeah I am already into way more than I had planned. Had it just been axles, not all the other garbage, then I would definitely spring for the OEM and rebuild them. But at this rate the wife is already gonna kill me.

So looking at your thread @nissanh did you put OEM outers on the Carquest inner?

Sorry if this has been mentioned, I've been trying to keep up with the thread out of interest, but have you checked car-part.com for OE ones a salvage yard near you has that you could refurbish yourself? Or use as the "core" return to get rebuilt ones? There are a few locally to me (which doesn't help you) for $45 each. Just a thought.

Thats the problem... I don't currently have OEM axles, another member offered me his spares that have been sitting his garage but shipping is killer. Yeah McGeorge is the cheapest at $185 ($371 for both) plus $62 for shipping, so that is almost $450 right there for just the outboard. Add in another almost $200 for the axles to be rebuilt and then possibly needing inboard boots ($56/ea.) and yeah things add up. Still a bit cheaper than OEM but close enough.

So at this rate the Nitro's shipped from JustDifferentials would end up costing me right at $400, or..
the Cardone HD (with heavy duty boot) would cost me right at $200 shipped.

Unfortunate part is I would really like to go with the OEMs but need this done sooner than later and on a tight budget at the moment. Swinging the Nitro's would be doable, but the extra costs associated with the OEM to rebuild is just outta the question at the moment. Alita currently has SurTrack chinesium axles that are making noise, so between that and the s***ty install from the shop the PO had do it, yeah I am already into way more than I had planned. Had it just been axles, not all the other garbage, then I would definitely spring for the OEM and rebuild them. But at this rate the wife is already gonna kill me.

So looking at your thread @nissanh did you put OEM outers on the Carquest inner?
No sure if it will apply to cv's, but King's Toyota has a free shipping dealio on orders over $50.00. Code = FAMILY

1590090094021.png

Unfortunately only like $20 savings as they charge more for the part at ~$215/ea.

Ok new wrinkle, and sorry for squirreling, I do appreciate everyone's input..
I have everything to replace all but the axles at this point. While I 95% believe that the SurTrack axles are the issue, thought on replacing everything and putting the new flanges on for the next 3-4 months while I squirrel away money for the rebuild? Still have the possibility to purchase those axles that need the new fronts. This would just delay other items that need to be done to the truck, but are much less critical while I squirrel away the money.

Welp nevermind kinda... looks like I will be going with OPTION Z at this point as Alita has other plans.

Welp nevermind kinda... looks like I will be going with OPTION Z at this point as Alita has other plans.

Sorry for brining up more options :)

I can check with an auto wrecking yard located in NY. They sold me a pair of OEM used CV axle each $45 shipped.

The outboard joint/assembly from toyota comes with the boot/grease/clamps necessary to do the inboard joint.

It's really not worth to go with non-oem CV's. After the new OEM CV's with used inboards, I hear very faint clunk as opposed to a loud clunk with just 14K mile driven AM Cv's

Fwiw- Toyota has a free shipping deal at participating dealers from 5/21-5/25 , that will save you a little.

For inboard boot kit, is this correct part number? 99% sure it is, but just want to verify.
04438-60010 Looks to be superseded by 04437-60080

Ok with everything else going on I am just going to kinda put this on the back burner for the moment. Working with MUD member who is going to sell me his old shafts that have goobered up splines so I can rebuild with new outers. He's gonna look at actually cutting/disassembling the axles and sending me just the inner parts to help cut down on cost of shipping, he just wants them outta his garage. So with that said, I will be build/rebuilding my own set with new inner boot kit and then ordering new outer shaft assembly like @ClassyJalopy did with his.

Will take me a bit longer to do and get everything taken care of but still allows me to do OEM axles. This kinda stuff is why I love this community! I will try and pay it forward at some point with SOMETHING.

Things like full stereo system upgrade, rack, extended sway bar links, diff drop bracket, etc. will be put on hold for the time being to finish this out as the outer shafts are gonna take up a large chunk of that money. BUT the benefit will be that I will feel much better about having OEM shafts in there and stop himming and hawwing about the possibility of AM shafts.

Ok so new to me inboard tulips are on the way from @87warrior Thanks Man!!!!
Which means I will need to start ordering the parts to rebuild the axles. Quick question, should the inboard tulip flanges (on the axles face) happen to get damaged or dented in transit, anyone have that part number???

Boot kit is 04437-60080, and
Outboard axle halves are 43460-69145
Believe I have everything else...

Ok so new to me inboard tulips are on the way from @87warrior Thanks Man!!!!
Which means I will need to start ordering the parts to rebuild the axles. Quick question, should the inboard tulip flanges (on the axles face) happen to get damaged or dented in transit, anyone have that part number???

Boot kit is 04437-60080, and
Outboard axle halves are 43460-69145
Believe I have everything else...
Outboard axle kit comes with new outer *and* inner boots and grease! No need to buy separate boot kit.

Outboard axle kit comes with new outer *and* inner boots and grease! No need to buy separate boot kit.
NICE!!!! That saves me about $100 right there... Didn't know that. Now what about the McMaster-Carr bands that are like the PFRAN ones? Just in case the OEM clips aren't all that solid?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom