Where to lead wires from Engine Bay through Firewall to Cabin (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am thinking about installing flood LED lights when my nudge bar arrives. I cannot find it, but I am sure with all mods done on this forum it is an easy answer. BTW I have the 16LC.

How and where in engine bay do I lead wires through firewall inside the cabin to install the switch?

Last edited:
IIRC there are two options. I'm about to embark on something similar so anxious to see others post their photos.

I know in the passenger side there seems to be more capacity and the kick panel under glove box is super easy to remove and access those wires sent through.

Below are some pics of the firewall ports from my 2011. First is DS, second is PS from engine bay, third is PS from underneath glovebox. I tried to highlight where you'd route your wires (thanks @ethernectar for the tip!)

IMG_20170204_210019.jpg

IMG_20170204_210028.jpg

IMG_20170204_213939.jpg

edit: updated photos with annotations. Post your photos fellas, want to see your wiring prowess!

Last edited:
Once you poke a hole (or cut the nub off) in the grommet, wrap some teflon (plumbers) tape around the wire. It will slide through easier. If its really tough to push through I've used 1/8" wire to help it get through. Just wrap the tape tightly around it.

DSC00483 by Matt Frederick, on Flickr

My method is using extra long plier set to jam the wires through enough to grasp them on the other side. Occasionally making another hole in the grommet if things are looking too snug or I'm inpatient. When everything is hooked up I dabble a bit of sealant at the grommet to seal it up nicely.

What type sealant do you use that is flexible and temp resistant?

When I installed my battery system, I noticed these rather thoughtfully-placed nipples. At first, couldn't figure out what they were. I was pretty shocked that a manufacturer went to the trouble to help aftermarket vehicle modifiers. I'd gotten pretty used to punching holes in the firewall on my other vehicles.

Curious if anyone has seen this on other vehicles or if this is just a Cruiser/Toyota thing.

Curious if anyone has seen this on other vehicles or if this is just a Cruiser/Toyota thing.

It's been pretty common on import vehicles for many years; it's not just a Toyota thing. I first started seeing it on German cars IIRC, go figure:cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom