Where to install Temp censor to AT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a Depo racing gauge with sensor to measure AT oil temp.
Do someone have photos where to install that sensor?
232-1374-thickbox.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg
I installed mine in the driver side of the oil pan. This location will indicate basic transmission internal temp after the oil has lubed the guts of the tranny.
If you want to see the absolute hottest the fluid is getting, you need to place a sensor in the "out" line which comes from the torque converter where most of the heat is generated.

The sensor probe you have there will not work in the out line to the cooler, that's why I said to put it in the oil pan. You won't see the dramatic and sometimes rapid fluctuations in the indication with the sensor in the pan as you would if monitoring temps in the line off the torque converter to the cooler.

View attachment 1417055 View attachment 1417056 I installed mine in the driver side of the oil pan. This location will indicate basic transmission internal temp after the oil has lubed the guts of the tranny.
If you want to see the absolute hottest the fluid is getting, you need to place a sensor in the "out" line which comes from the torque converter where most of the heat is generated.

The sensor probe you have there will not work in the out line to the cooler, that's why I said to put it in the oil pan. You won't see the dramatic and sometimes rapid fluctuations in the indication with the sensor in the pan as you would if monitoring temps in the line off the torque converter to the cooler.

What temps do you see on average in the winter @baldilocks ?

I have mine sensor measuring the outflow and with the radiator preheated bypassed the fluid temp stays too cool on cold days.

I've not seen temps above 165

She likes 140* in most weather until my water temp starts to rise above 195. I saw 170* one day while creeping the Rubicon in 90* ambient temps with the A/C running at the wife's request. I told her she had to "man up". That turned out to be a mistake. Haha

Running the fluid through the radiator is a good idea because a water to oil cooler is very effective and will quickly adjust your ATF temp to what the engineers designed the air to oil cooler to handle during all seasons. This also eliminates wide temp swings with weather changes.

Does your tranny ever get warm enough to shift into OD in cold weather conditions?

@SmokingRocks

yes it does so pretty quickly. So I am starting to wonder if I have my sensor on the return line... I'm in the process of adding an electronically controlled bypass valve so I can set it to winter (through rad) or summer (bypass)

yes it does so pretty quickly. So I am starting to wonder if I have my sensor on the return line... I'm in the process of adding an electronically controlled bypass valve so I can set it to winter (through rad) or summer (bypass)
Honestly, I think you will be better off spending time and money on cup holders. The system has no cooling issues as designed. Now, I could see by-passing the radiator during summer to decrease the heat load being transferred into the engine coolant but not for the sake of the transmission.

As I said last post, the radiator water adjusted the ATF quickly down or up to a known temp that the air to oil cooler can handle. Believe me, if you are working the tranny hard on a hot day the ATF will leave the torque converter hotter than water temp. And then in the winter, the transmission will warm up quicker. My Dodge/Cummins is set up the same way except the tranny has its own ATF to water cooler on the side of the engine block.

The "out line" to the radiator is the forward tube off the tranny. You can actually see the factory temp sensor in the fitting at the case. It routes along side the engine driver side and then across to the passenger side of the radiator under the fan. I believe it is the top steel tube of the two running along side the engine block.

right that's the one I'm measuring.

And while the stock setup is certainly good it was improved upon my Mr.T on the 200 (and maybe 100). The new ones have a computer controlled mixing valve that proportions the amount that bypasses the radiator tank.

right that's the one I'm measuring.

And while the stock setup is certainly good it was improved upon my Mr.T on the 200 (and maybe 100). The new ones have a computer controlled mixing valve that proportions the amount that bypasses the radiator tank.
I look forward to seeing you bypass valve modification.

View attachment 1417055 View attachment 1417056 I installed mine in the driver side of the oil pan. This location will indicate basic transmission internal temp after the oil has lubed the guts of the tranny.

That is the best variant I think. But I do not have oportunity to remove AT gear now.
I have an additional AT oil radiator and want to see how does it works.

My way now is to install T-joint into rubber pipes before radiator input and install probe there. It will be temporary verion.
But U know there is nothing more constant then temporary:)

Well....this is timely, I am getting ready to install a temp gauge (tranny) as well and was just pondering the placement of a sensor.

I can appreciate that placing it somewhere in/on the oil pan would provide temp readings that correspond best to the overall (cooled) condition of the ATF. It should be a more consistent reading there as well.

I'm not sure I can see the benefit in putting it in the 'out line'? Yes, you would see how hard your tranny is working under certain circumstances, but it seems like 'heat saturation' (which would show up in the pan) would be the more important thing to know?

But maybe I'm wrong. Certainly willing to be schooled.

I need to decide pretty soon.

Well....this is timely, I am getting ready to install a temp gauge (tranny) as well and was just pondering the placement of a sensor.

I can appreciate that placing it somewhere in/on the oil pan would provide temp readings that correspond best to the overall (cooled) condition of the ATF. It should be a more consistent reading there as well.

I'm not sure I can see the benefit in putting it in the 'out line'? Yes, you would see how hard your tranny is working under certain circumstances, but it seems like 'heat saturation' (which would show up in the pan) would be the more important thing to know?

But maybe I'm wrong. Certainly willing to be schooled.

I need to decide pretty soon.
See photos above. I followed recommendations I got from when I built up the auto in my diesel pick up.

Your assumption is correct. Besides that, Toyota put a sensor in the hot, outlet port which will illuminate the idiot light when the trans fluid is truly hot. I installed my gauge as an early warning and because I like gauges. :) What I learned is that the a442F runs rather cool. I'm not sure about the A343.

I installed mine in the side of the pan it works just fine.Never seems to get real hot unless I am towing my trailer up a grade .Even then its stays under 200 degrees

Yeah, the Pan sounds best to me.

So....remove pan, drill and tap for 1/8" NPT (for the sending unit I am going to use), nut it both sides of pan and use FIPG?

You can't tap the pan, it's too thin. Just drill and thread the boss in and use JB stick, or equivalent, on the inside to seal and stabilize the boss in the thin oil pan wall.
There is a particular spot where I placed my sensor based on clearance with the valve body. Don't remember the measurements.

You can't tap the pan, it's too thin. Just drill and thread the boss in and use JB stick, or equivalent, on the inside to seal and stabilize the boss in the thin oil pan wall.
There is a particular spot where I placed my sensor based on clearance with the valve body. Don't remember the measurements.

Never had the pan off.....so I didn't know how thick (or not) it was. Probably no need to weld an 1/8" bung in it then?

I can nut each side of the sensor boss I suppose (it would be clamped from both sides that way)

Well...it will be a good time to clean the tranny filter and pan I guess. I know I'm going to be tempted to turn up the line pressure while I'm right at the valve body. Somebody talk me out of that. It shifts fine now. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom