Where to find front turn signal rubber gaskets / grommets (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi folks,

Working on restoring my front turn signals for a 1977 FJ40. I'm down to trying to find the rubber grommets / gaskets that go under each light pedestal. Both SOR and CCOT show these as out of stock (seemingly long term).

Any ideas on how best to make suitable replacements or where to find some for sale?

(I've checked the threads here, Man-a-fre, City Racer, Toyotapartsdeal, Cruiser Corps, Cruiser Outfitters, CruiserParts, CCOT, SOR, eBay, and tried to find matches on McMaster Carr - no luck).

Thanks.

Last edited:
Restore away! Let’s see’em!

I grabbed a few large rubber washers at a Ace hardware. Used 1 for a horn contact seat insulator. Here’s what they look like. I can dig one out tomorrow and take a measurement.

What’s the diameter of your base?
2121F833-0C6C-4DA9-BB50-6A7AB51F3822.jpeg

Hi folks,

Working on restoring my front turn signals for a 1977 FJ40. I'm down to trying to find the rubber grommets / gaskets that go under each light pedestal. Both SOR and CCOT show these as out of stock (seemingly long term).

Any ideas on how best to make suitable replacements or where to find some for sale?

(I've checked the threads here, Man-a-fre, City Racer, Toyotapartsdeal, Cruiser Corps, Cruiser Outfitters, CruiserParts, CCOT, SOR, eBay, and tried to find matches on McMaster Carr - no luck).

Thanks.
We'll be making some and putting them on the market in about July this year (2018). We're starting with the ones that go beneath the pedestal for the housings containing the round type lenses.

Wondering why you need it. OEM doesn't have it. It's just another piece of rubber to go bad.

Not all years, but yes there are.

I used high density foam rubber that I traced the base onto and cut out. It has worked very well. I removed my left turn signal last Saturday and there was no evidence of the new paint having been marred. It had been mounted for about a year.

I credit @fjl40, probably twenty years ago, for the low-tech idea of using a wheel cylinder boot for a turn signal base gasket. Brilliant in its simplicity.

Thanks to everyone for the great advice and leads. Sharing a couple pictures of the progress.

Images below show a before and after. The left signal is done - used a series of wet sanding and plastic polish.

Signal body

Signal lens

The offending front gasket

1977 "Buela" in progress

E.P.D.M. Rubber is used on the roofs of Residential & Commercial Home & Buildings

It come's on small repair Job roll's & is Commonly available at both Home Depot & Lowes

It is approx 3/32" thick , its black in color , UV rated & water & BOMB proof for Life

Its Thickness Or gauge would be Perfect for @phroger turn signal restore job pedestal bases

PM me your address and I will send you a couple of the grommets (Cruiser Karma) that go in the hole and surround the wire that go through the fender under the base of the light. They are not the flat rubber with the raised edge. I second the suggestion to use some flat rubber sheet and trim to size.

I will post the McMaster Carr part number tomorrow when I get back in the shop.

Thanks to everyone for the great advice and leads. Sharing a couple pictures of the progress.

I'm confused. It seems like this would prevent the 2 nubs on the side of the base from seating into their respective holes adjacent to the main one the post threads through. Was this a stock gasket or just homemade?

Also; fair warning to the masses, if you're an idiot like me, don't twist on the light to "align" it once those nubs are already snugged in or you'll crack the plastic base...:bang:

I'm confused. It seems like this would prevent the 2 nubs on the side of the base from seating into their respective holes adjacent to the main one the post threads through. Was this a stock gasket or just homemade?

Also; fair warning to the masses, if you're an idiot like me, don't twist on the light to "align" it once those nubs are already snugged in or you'll crack the plastic base...:bang:

Thanks. The Grommet that came off was there from the PO. Not sure if it was stock or homemade at this point. Main goal is to protect the paint from the direct metal to metal contact once the pedestals and lights are ready to put back on.

I am doing a Gozzard transplant on to a 82' FJ40. To get the fit, finish, and finer details the way I wanted I took a detour and got into 3d printing. Here is my solution to the same problem. It is printed out of flexible TPU (not as soft as rubber but it has similar characteristics). If there was interest from the group I could probably recreate more.

20180419_221130.jpg

20180419_221135.jpg

20180419_221313.jpg

View attachment 1681541

20180419_231053.jpg

Lo Tec’s doppelgänger! Very nice. I wonder if the pre-69 turn signals are the same diameter? There’s quite a few folks looking for those too.

Wow! 3D printing to the rescue!!! Very nice solution to the problem :cheers:

I am doing a Gozzard transplant on to a 82' FJ40. To get the fit, finish, and finer details the way I wanted I took a detour and got into 3d printing. Here is my solution to the same problem. It is printed out of flexible TPU (not as soft as rubber but it has similar characteristics). If there was interest from the group I could probably recreate more.

View attachment 1681538

View attachment 1681539

View attachment 1681540

View attachment 1681541

View attachment 1681566
I am interested in a set of the pedestal gaskets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom