What’s it Worth: Old Bezel and Gray Face Gauge Cluster (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Skreddy

SILVER Star
Threads
I have a bunch of parts I plan on selling/getting rid of soon and know what I’d want for them but 2 items I don’t know the value of; looking for input/help. I know these 2 are a little more on the rarer end of parts, but I know rare doesn’t equal me getting to retire by selling them too.
First is an old (63 and older?) bezel with Land Cruiser stamped into it. It’s not all rusty but does need a little straightening on a couple small areas.
Second is an old cluster, maybe same vintage? It has the gray speedo face but black for the other gauges. Oil and amps are just the lights but fuel and temp are needle gauges.
Here’s some pics.
E5EE8272-FE6A-417C-89DD-74F042EE3B78.jpeg
A2D07841-9856-42B6-846B-8DC44F6D7222.jpeg
65B9A4F7-0FFF-4FA4-965D-0FB3EFB5AAE9.jpeg
FA8ACE70-5FC9-4734-87AF-D11D3AB0D307.jpeg
92891BC7-23E5-4240-A938-71A5AFF2BE07.jpeg

The gauge cluster.
DEF75DF2-E42F-464A-A1AB-AFCFDB3F32A9.jpeg
9914BE36-C4E3-4DF8-B1BF-F3C81C2C1446.jpeg
9A78638D-A3FB-4E1B-A829-8641F76165F2.jpeg

Oh man, I could really use that cluster for our 1963 FJ45 when you decide to sell it. It's for this little beauty.

I'd like to be second in line for the bezel if @SipLife passes.

Thanks @whitey45 for letting me know about this thread!!

FWIW, mid to late 1963 was when Toyota replaced the silver faced speedos with the black faced ones. It was also the exact same time that the stamped bezels were replaced.

Last edited:
Just a WAG, based on condition, I'd say $250 on the bezel, and $150 on the cluster. That bezel would be perfect for a patina-mobile - or wall art. The value of the cluster depends significantly on whether the gauges and speedo work. The temp gauge appears to be missing its needle (?). You might be able to get more for each of these, but I try not to suggest prices that make Mud look like eBay. YMMV.

Ok, I got a few offers and am responding in order.
@SteveH you are right where I was expecting and assumed I could get more on eBay, but I’m hoping to pass on a reasonably decent deal to a mud member that could put them to use. My original plan for the bezel was wall art but I’ve decided I’m hoarding way too many parts lately and they’d be better served in use. Plus, I have a crusty bib and bezel to serve as wall art once my lighting is finished.

Both are sold pending shipping quote isn’t ridiculous.
Sorry @SipLife, I got a couple pm’s before yours.

As long as that stamped bezel is going on a mid-‘63 or earlier cruiser, 👍. Otherwise it’s not stock and you’ll look ridiculous having such a prominent wrong year part on your rig. Just sayin’.

(from an early ‘63er whose been keeping an eye out for an original patina’d stamped bezel - stock by the way 😝- cuz someone has the original one from this rig on their rig - probably not stock 😝 😝 😝)

Dean @MadMace dId you get that cluster? If so, are you going to use all of it - spec. both warning light housings?

Well I won’t say anything Brian just be a little jealous 😂.

As long as that stamped bezel is going on a mid-‘63 or earlier cruiser, 👍. Otherwise it’s not stock and you’ll look ridiculous having such a prominent wrong year part on your rig. Just sayin’.
(from an early ‘63er whose been keeping an eye out for an original patina’d stamped bezel - stock by the way 😝- cuz someone has the original one from this rig on their rig - probably not stock 😝 😝 😝)
Dean @MadMace dId you get that cluster? If so, are you going to use all of it - spec. both warning light housings?

Guess my 68 been looking ridiculous since 1983.
001029.jpg

My stamped bezel has been on half a dozen 45’s the last 20 years! I bought a 63 40 20 years ago to get it( was stupid rare to find one back then) It will never be for sale and will always be on my latest ride!

View attachment 2910383

Bought a 62 (61 production) that still had the stamped bezel as well as a PTO winch. Haven't removed it yet. Did get one off a 61 that was scrapped. It was free. Then another sitting in the back of FJ55 in a wrecking yard. That one cost $35. Neither of which are currently on any cruiser. But never removed one personally from a cruiser it originally came on.

There are also a lot of SOR reproductions of the stamped bezel out there (and probably from a few other sources).
It's what I have on mine but I think the metal quality and gauge is lower than original, it rusts and warps a lot more.

These were also being made and imported from Pakistan. There are also fiberglass versions. @pardion was making them until he got a letter from Mr. T's lawyers saying if he didn't stop he would be facing legal action. But that was years ago.

Well look what I got today. @Skreddy I cannot thank you enough—we just started talking about this cluster Monday morning and here it is at my house on Wednesday evening. You don’t mess around, I really appreciate it. I cannot wait to get this bad boy cleaned up.

FWIW, your cluster, Ben, will help 2 old cruisers become more complete. @middlecalf needs the dummy light housings and I already have a set so I’m going to get them over to him.

Ben, again, thank you to you for making it available and please tell your wife thank you for getting it in the mail so quickly—it was packed very well.

6958C83A-B3CC-4A0A-BD88-9E8CCD2A2B1C.jpeg

@middlecalf

And what if one of your oldest customers took the bezel off his ‘63 when he sold the truck and brought it to you as a memento of your friendship and you put it on a non-63 rig because not only was/is it cool, but it had sentimental value?

@middlecalf

And what if one of your oldest customers took the bezel off his ‘63 when he sold the truck and brought it to you as a memento of your friendship and you put it on a non-63 rig because not only was/is it cool, but it had sentimental value?

well at that point you may as well paint the whole truck lime green, with a brush and no masking tape.

:lol:

Mark @65swb45 I’d put it on and wear it with pride 😃.

(but I’d still poke folks, I guess it’s in my DNA… I only poke people I like)

Last edited:
well at that point you may as well paint the whole truck lime green, with a brush and no masking tape.

Are you dissing all my hard work? I spent $15 on that 5 gallon pail of oil based exterior paint. I realize it only took 35 minutes to paint it, but that shouldn’t matter.

Are you dissing all my hard work? I spent $15 on that 5 gallon pail of oil based exterior paint. I realize it only took 35 minutes to paint it, but that shouldn’t matter.
You timed it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom