Whats in your tool box? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guy's, i have a fj60, and i keep a fairly well stocked tool kit in it for the possibility of a mechanical break down.
So I'm wondering what you all carry for such an unheard of event.
I have a general tool kit, sockets, wrenches, screw drivers, pliers, etc.
4 way lug wrench
fix a flat.
Compressor
Electrical items
Extra wiper
Oil, Antifreeze, washer fluid
Duct tape
Electrical tape
Bailing wire

I'm just looking for suggestions on additional equipment.

hub nut socket...

Small volt/ohm meter -saved me more times than I can remember. And a bit of sandpaper for cleaning electrical connections.
Hose clamps in a variety of sizes.

Unfortunatly, every tool I own wouldn't leave much room left.
I never thought about a bit of emery cloth for the battery terminals! good idea, small light weight, and handy.
Good Idea.

quality flashlight, spare batteries for light, spare set of belts, go to harbor freight and buy a cheap metric socet set and rachet, knife, hatchet (great for camping) , tow straps, Toilet paper, pair of gloves, first aid kit, some spare vac line, and spare parts ( i have a full knuckle rebuild kit in my rig) , maybe a spare birf if you're into hard off roading.

Lots of small bits but here are the 3 big parts of my main kit:

http://www.amazon.com/Tools-VISE-GRIP-5-Piece-Traditional-2078708/dp/B000GR38FG

(I actually have this set, but I can't find it anywhere online for a decent price. I gave $150 a few years ago: Plier Sets | MSCDirect.com)

+

http://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-32500-Screwdriver-Cushion/dp/B0015SBILG

+

Shop Kobalt Standard (SAE) and Metric Mechanic's Tool Set with Hard Case (24-Piece) at Lowes.com

+

JB Weld / Multi-Meter / Zip ties / Grease / Wire strippers / Snatch block / First aid kit / Spare fuel pump & Belts / Various ness. fluids...and lots more I'm sure I left off

Last edited:
The a certain point where you can carry way to much crap..

99% of wheelers never go more than 50 miles from civilization. It's easy to get most parts. Just inconvenient..

Knowing your rig and how get out is the biggest thing

What I bring with me varies radical between HW drive and off road drive .. HW drive, not much honestly, basic wrenches, and sockets, belts hub socket as Mace pointed .. any major problem, AAA or your local friendly tow service will do best for ya ..

Off road .. totally different story ..

oils, hubs, axles, brake pads, U joints etc ... ( long etc .. )

5/8' heater hose (6ft), plus clamps and sockets/wrenches/pliers mentioned, various fluids, jumper cables, orange vest to be seen in the case of roadside repairs... x2 on headlamp/flashlight

Glad to see baling wire on your list - I recently used it for a trail repair, and had none. Some pieces of 12 and 16 ga. electrical wire and a few crimp connectors might allow you to bypass or work around an electrical problem. Think of hot wiring one headlight, or a fuel pump - that sort of thing.

Duct Tape! (and bailing wire)

003.JPG

Not me, not mine... Seen Here

I think Mace also had a good image of a similar repair once lol

@GLTHFJ60 holy sheet. That alone has to be the weight of an additional passenger (or two). Is that platform bolted to the floor? (So the tools can't move if at high angles)

That is very impressive! the pull out tool drawer!

And the duct tape bailing wire on the springs is one for the books!

You know a lot of the stuff that i carry isn't so much for me, but in case i stop to help some one else.

I've never had an issue with my 60, yet. I've had it for several years now and never been "stuck" on the side of the road.
I had a water pump go out, but fortunately I was at work at the time. The voltage regulator also went while i was at work. But nothing out on the road.

@theron already metioned them, but Zip ties. Large and small ones. Don't get the Harbor Freight ones, go to an electrical supply place and get real ones. I would also add to what I wouldn't expect to see in a "standard" toolkit a 4 lb. engineers hammer, super glue, brass drifts, cold chisel, and plumbers strap tape (the galvanized 3/4" wide roll of metal strap with holes in it, very useful..), an assortment of extra nuts and bolts of various sizes.

Duct Tape! (and bailing wire)

003.JPG

Not me, not mine... Seen Here

I think Mace also had a good image of a similar repair once lol

Similar, I had to repair a leaf spring with a D ring shackle (two actually at the same time) and some duct tape. Worked amazingly well even at the hammers.

@GLTHFJ60 holy sheet. That alone has to be the weight of an additional passenger (or two). Is that platform bolted to the floor? (So the tools can't move if at high angles)

Yes sir, she's bolted in. Two toggle clamps in the back and turnbuckles up front.

That's only one drawer! I didn't show the other side, or the quarter panel storage, or the tailgate storage, or the under-seat storage. Can not be over-prepared.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom