What spare parts to carry (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How about 2 high quality stainless steel , smooth band w/rolled edges CV boot clamps (one big, one small)? If you break a band on the trail, it becomes a 5 minute fix.

Paul - do you have alink to these? doesn't sound like the standard hose clamps.

Romer - you can order them from Mcmaster carr or Pfran is selling some in the vendors market. I think there was a link to them on Mcmaster in in one of the cv threads.

Romer - you can order them from Mcmaster carr or Pfran is selling some in the vendors market. I think there was a link to them on Mcmaster in in one of the cv threads.

Thanks!

It's also different if you wheel alone. Not often for me, but there's been a few times when I've gone on my own. In that case, a Ham is probably your best 'spare' to have....

In addition to a Ham radio, I carry a Delorme InReach 2 way GPS Satellite device that allows 2 way texting in addition to maps, waypoints, SOS etc.
It is a monthly service but covers me when I have no cell service and I can text my wife and she can follow my progress on a secure website.

I'd like to know specifically what links, fuses and relays we should carry

I wrote up an emergency start procedure for an 80 series and listed the potentials that could go wrong and what one might want to carry

Here is that section and I would like to know similar detail for the 100. The link above shows pictures and locations

Fusible Links and Relays
Below is a list of fuses and fusible links and relays critical for engine run, ...

It doesn't look like this was ever answered. This would be great to have if someone knowledgable could chime in.

Alternatively, if we can't get that level of detail, do you guys have a recommend list of fuses and relays? Or, do you just use the "standard" variety packs you often see in stores/online?

Wits end - a member and vendor offers a kit that has most everything needed - I'm adding a few relays, spare hoses and belts and misc to my kit

I'm over here carrying a thermostat, coil pack, and power pack. And a tire plug kit. Somehow I've ended up with a couple flats at one time.

In addition to a Ham radio, I carry a Delorme InReach 2 way GPS Satellite device that allows 2 way texting in addition to maps, waypoints, SOS etc.
It is a monthly service but covers me when I have no cell service and I can text my wife and she can follow my progress on a secure website.

If you have HAM w/ APRS you can do this as well, and no monthly fee?

I just bought a Spot Gen3 messenger. I sends tracking points, in addition to one of 4 pre-set, canned messages via satellite, no cell network required.

You set up the tracking and recipients in advance so they can ride along at home with you in near-real time.

Best part is a rebate going on right now for full rebate of purchase price, you just pay for data plan. I run this is in the LC and while hiking...

Sort of. If there are repeaters in range it works pretty good for that purpose. If not, you're out of luck. I am a regular APRS user and there is a large area in southern Utah that I have found to be a digipeater blackhole. Given the choice, I would much rather have something like the inreach over APRS for backcountry travel. Ideally I would have both.

Not really. Lots of places where APRS signal can't get out to a receiver. DeLorme has complete global coverage plus text.

never carried anything except for the dinky tool set that comes as a stock item in my LX. Never needed anything..

Lately I've had my recovery gear(straps, shackles, shovel, mallet, pick axe, bolt cutters, compressor), socket set with most often used sizes, small tool bag with pliers, drivers, channel locks, etc.

I was pretty impressed on my last ride when a guy whipped out a small chain saw and got us through some downed trees in no time. Adding that to the list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom