What is this 1978 FJ40 worth? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

All it has is a quick paint job. If its hardly driven, once its driven a bit, you will get a ton more seals leaking. Its a 78 which is a good year. I would say 12 to 15. To do the paint right it will have to be stripped back down. All those leaks are going to cost some money. Personally I have seen some cruisers like that go for around 10k, and some like that go for around 20. Depends on if the seller finds the right buyer

I think it matters what your plan for it is. On ebay right now it's probably worth nearly $20k after power-washing off the oil off the bottom. If you're going to paint it, that's going to cost a lot and be a lot of down time.

If you aren't going to do the work yourself, it needs some thousands of dollars worth of seals, gaskets, cleaning, etc. Figure it needs all new brakes and hoses for another few kilo-dollars.

If you're going to buy it, fix the leaks and drive it as is, $14-15k seems like a good price. It's damned original, radio, emissions, etc. Mine is pretty original, but it doesn't have the vacuum hose looms like that one does.

That paint could be hiding some ugly bondo or other bad body work around the rear sill.

So the bottom line is that the seller is probably going to want more than it's worth, but if you really want it, you may have to pay the seller. Make a spreadsheet with costs before you buy it.

I bet it would sell for close to $20K on Bring-A-Trailer. Worth a knowledgeable PPI. If all the mechanicals are top notch it's worth that. If not...mid-teens. Based on the pictures and the fact it's a complete/unmolested 78 it would be a steal at anything less.

sell via BAT if you want it sold next week. sell via other means if you want the most money.

I also have a Red '78. Without recent reciepts on things that are updated I would say $20K and you could quickly put another $10K into it to make it really nice.

I think it will be hard to find one nicer for $12000-$15000..........not impossible but not easy

Needs a lot of grunt-work (time-sucking) repairs - oil pan, side cover, front axle seals, hoses and cooling system stuff. Rust and bubbling either mean you would have to repaint a number of areas or seal off with grease and leave until you four-wheel it and enjoy it. Not a $20K rig. Very clean and very correct in many ways, so it's very desirable. If you want it, get it, and figure out how to fix later. I'd put the value at ~14K, given the work needed. Still needs a clutch inspection (remove the cover) and a compression test. My 2F was fried at 76K miles, so don't imagine that low miles means a tight engine.

It is worth whatever someone else will pay for it, as someone above said. If it goes on ebay, that is a seller's market for the FJ40 right now.
If you are working the deal between you and he, then you do the deal that makes you both feel good.
There is probably a lot of labor and money involved to bring it back to a state of daily driver. I spent five months on mine fixing all the mechanical issues before I was comfortable taking it on a long trip. And quite a few dollars, and this after paying what I felt was top dollar. But I bought a no rust truck which was what I was looking for and knew I could fix anything mechanical.

Personally I would rather find one that has never been painted so you know exactly where the rust is rather than buy one that has been painted and has rust underneath. All the quick shiny paint does is make people pay more when in reality you have to do the same amount if not more work to make it all right.

Thanks so much to everyone for all the input. The collective is very helpful.

First I would drive it more and get it well warmed up, check that the tranny transfer and 4wd and lock out hubs work well with no issues, Leaks, well that is generally part of the deal on a FJ40 unless seals recently replaced. Brakes, engine noise. Give it the magnet test all over the body, It looks like it has plenty of miles on it from the appearance of the shifter stick wear and the pedal wear, Get down and crawl under with the flashlight looking for rust or other problems. AS mentioned previously Compression test the engine.
However from the pics it looks pretty darn good. Looks like the original undercoat is there...But pics as we all know can be deceiving.

Last edited:
Is it possible the rig has 197,899 original miles??, Im only asking because there is too much paint missing from the shift lever, and very badly worn brake pedal rubber pad- - -just thinking out loud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom