What is this 1978 FJ40 worth? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have the opportunity to purchase a beautiful, all original 1978 FJ40. I would love to have MUD opinions on what it is worth (you won't find it listed anywhere).

(Since this is not a vehicle listing, I wasn't sure the best place to post. I saw other's in this forum, so I hope this is okay.)

DSC01519.JPG

I know the current owner. He has owned it for 15 years. Little of the history prior to 15 years ago is known other than it was owned by a mechanic who did some things to keep-it-in or bring-it-back-to good original condition. Some of the information below is from my observation and some is from what the current owner has told me. Can you please give opinions as to what it might be worth? What should the owner expect to get for this rig?

FYI, I have never owned an FJ40, though I do have an FJH60 and an HJ61.

Also, I will post as many pics as I can (limited to what the forum will allow – I’m not sure what the limit is). Please ask questions and inform as to what needs to be asked/investigated. Thanks.

FJ40 DESCRIPTION
  • 1978 Red FJ40
  • Odometer: 97,899
  • Original 2F
  • Original transmission (as best we know)
  • Manual steering

HISTORY
  • Driven ~3,000 miles by current owner over the past 15 years.
  • Garage kept in the Northwest for the last 15 years.
  • Mostly sits in garage. Is started and driven 10-15 days per year.
  • Driven off road on 2 different trail rides in the past 15 years with no issue.
  • Little known about the driving history before current owner.
  • Previously owned by mechanic.
  • Believed to be all original engine, drivetrain, brakes, all mechanicals, etc.
  • Body all original with exception of replacement hood due to dent.
  • Repainted under current ownership.
  • Rust repair in rear bed along bottom door seal around time of painting.

OBSERVATIONs/CONDITION
  • Not a full restoration, but appears to be fantastic original condition.
  • Beautiful in pics and in person.
  • Starts easily, runs smooth, although hasn't seen much recent action per stated driving history.
  • I did not have a chance to drive to operating temperature.
  • Leaks a small amount of oil after driving.
  • Does not smoke.
  • No exhaust smell.
  • 4WD hasn't been tested in recent years. Worked last time owner tried it.
  • Passed emissions last time test was required, but that has been several years.
  • Straight body.
  • All 4 doors shut solid.
  • Rust appears minor, mostly surface.
  • Spots of deeper rust at the bottom of door panels, but repairable (see pics).
  • No rust bubbles visible under paint in quarter panels.
  • Interior mostly in great condition (minor seat tears, surface rust on floor)
  • Glass looks great.
  • Sensitive brakes (may be completely normal).
  • Clutch engages near the fully released point of travel (normal?).
  • Rear heater was removed for repair. Has been repaired and just needs reinstall.
  • Engine compartment is in order but does have some rust and oil.

DSC01549.JPG

DSC01540.JPG

More pics to come.

That is one nice 40. I am not a good judge of price. And the online advertisements seem really high. I would say some people would pay $20,000 for something like that (not me), they may pay even more. I think it is worth $15,000 to me. Again, I may be way off and someone could pay $30,000 on eBay. Good luck on the purchase. I have a red 78 that is almost all original and love it.

My guess would be about 20 000,-....I would pay about 17-18000,- for it,but as above post says somebody might pay more....And about the clutch-mine is replaced not long time ago and it also engages at the end point-don't know if its normal or not...My other stick shift vehicle (ford)clutch engages just above the floor so in 40 I am confused ...

Last edited:
Based on its current condition I would say it's worth between $12 - $14K as it needs some work mechanical and cosmetic.

I agree with some of the others that it's worth between $15-20k. It just depends on how bad you want it.

I have created an album. Probably should have done this in the first place so it doesn't take up so much space in the thread. Mostly same pics with a few extras.

1978 FJ40 what's it worth?

Thanks for replies so far.

My guess is its a 15 to 25K unmolested find. Nice rig, it will not take a lot of work to make it REALLY nice.

Its worth whatever y'all agree to...

But, get compression numbers before you agree... and if the numbers are low or vary by more than 10%, do a leak down test to determine just how good the 2F engine really is... and make sure the 4WD works properly... and drive it at various speeds and make sure it stays in the proper lane and doesn't have any significant vibrations.

Better to know going in... and the results of these tests can have a significant bearing on the price...

if the compression is good i'd also say like 15k max 20k also as others have said... those little areas that are leaking alittle expect to leak alot more once its driven more... there are alot of seals to replace... the steering probably needs alot of tightening/adjusting

the rust is always more than you can see

Are the factory welds present in the rear sill below the outer edges of the ambulance doors? Not a real good picture of that area to say they are there or not. To me the values depends more on the body then the running gear. I would rather deal with rebuilding the engine then repairing rust, body work and then repainting. Don't know if I've even seen anyone replace a rusted rear sill and have it be the the way it came from the factory on the pre 79. The upper edge is three layers. I can tell you those bubbles in the bottom of the door is more then surface rust. That is rust coming from the inside.

The irreplaceable emission controls appear to be in place albeit corroded somewhat.

That bubbled paint rust kills the 20K figure to me personally.. You are looking at quite a bit to fix the rust issues if you go that route..

Rust free IMHO demands the coin..

I would think less then 15k, those rust bubbles are not good. Means they did a poor job prepping and painting it. You could fix those rust bubbles only to find more pop up a month later and more the month after that. 20k would be a lot of money to be chasing rust bubbles under the paing for the next few years or more, or stripping the entire thing and repainting. Not to mention the oil leaking, looks like it has been leaking for a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom