what is the best type of framing nailer? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

g-man

SILVER Star
Threads
I will be building a stick built 12x20 shed and need a framing nailer. I realize 21 degree allows full round head nails, and 30 deg offers better angles to get between studs but uses clipped nails. What is the best for my job? I'm leaning toward pneumatic because I already have the compressor and it's a little lighter. What about plastic vs paper vs wire clipped?

Hitachi in my opinion. Go to a pawn shop and get an older one. They are bomb proof...the new ones may be just ass good but have no experience with them. Mine is close to 20 years old. It’s been dropped off roofs, thrown across the room and all I’ve done is oil it.

I like full heads because they just have to have a stronger connection, many will argue that point. But just think about it for about 2 seconds...

the angle of the nail is determined by whether it has plastic or paper nails that it shoots. It's really about convenience and how many nails you need to shoot. Cordless, obviously very convenient, but heavy if you have to hold above your head much. Pneumatic can shoot millions of nails with only maintenance on the compressor. Forget about wire collated. Those are way old school. Don't get the paper nails wet, will ruin the nails and they won't shoot. Metabo and Hitachi are the same and probably the best bang for your buck. Milwaukee makes an excellent one although it's a bit bigger and heavier. With the Dewalts, you have to watch out if you hit metal like a truss plate, it will blow up the compressor mechanism.

My .2c worth. Get a Metabo, battery-powered with paper nails. Lighter, more nails per rack, and the you won't have the problem of the little plastic pieces that hold the nails together fly and hit you in the mouth and face when you shoot them.

I will admit those little plastic pieces hitting you in the face pisses a guy off!

the cordless stuff is nice not dragging a hose around but unless you use it daily or even a few times a week I’m not sure it’s worth the extra cost. And batteries go bad..

There was a time when you could use a hammer. Framing axe to be specific. For a 12 x20 shed time spent searching for discussing, rolling out the air tools, having extra nails when done, etc
May be old school and old but if you can't swing a hammer to pound a 16d nail into a stud or floor joist certainly do not have the skill to be shooting nails all over the place.
Unless your gonna be using that nail gun for many projects. If so be careful as yes it does shoot nails, it does not build.

Would also agree with other posts that Hitachi is what you see for lots of work. Senco was like Hitachi when air started for durability etc.

I bought this 4 years ago and have been very happy with it. It sits for months at a time and I've never had a hiccup with it. For occasional use, this is the ticket IMHO.

Amazon product ASIN B0032JTDPO

There was a time when you could use a hammer. Framing axe to be specific. For a 12 x20 shed time spent searching for discussing, rolling out the air tools, having extra nails when done, etc
May be old school and old but if you can't swing a hammer to pound a 16d nail into a stud or floor joist certainly do not have the skill to be shooting nails all over the place.
Unless your gonna be using that nail gun for many projects. If so be careful as yes it does shoot nails, it does not build.

Would also agree with other posts that Hitachi is what you see for lots of work. Senco was like Hitachi when air started for durability etc.
Agreed that a nail gun doesn't build skill. I have some experience with pneumatic brad nailers and borrowed framing nailers. I have to admit I like the speed at which I can move. But I can only hit the nail on the head 3 out of 4 time when swinging a hammer, and of course on the 4th swing the nail is bent and I spend more time pulling it than I'd like.
I'm sure a seasoned vet with a hammer could build a shed faster than me with an air nailer.

21 deg milwaukee is my choice. not a good time to build a shed out of wood. lumber (including plywood) is close to 4x the cost it was before covid.

Last edited:

It's a little different if you're building with seasoned Ash.

1617835058244828648989740240127.jpg

Using an approximately 25 y/o Porter Cable 30' nailer that has little actual use. If they even make them anymore I doubt they are what they used to be tho.

i run a hitachi n an old, like 40+yrs duo-fast. the hitachi is about 20yrs. the hitachi has been reliable, no repairs needed so far. oiled daily n keep the dryfires to a bare minimum. it gets used for putting sticks together. it's a light, fast gun
now the duo-fast is a freaking sledge hammer of a nailer n weighs about as much. i had to replace the drive piston O ring about ten years ago. also, the nail feed spring can be problematic. but because of the way it hammers 31/2" spikes into engineered lumber i'll deal with it.
i've been in construction since '73 n using air nailers pretty much since then. keep em clean, lubed n avoid dry fires like the plague . they'll last a long while as evidenced by my duo-fast
oh, using an air nailer, you will try industrial strength body piercing sooner or later :flipoff2:

I have a Porter-Cable FR350 nailer and it's been great, although I also agree that those little flying plastic pieces do sting when they hit you in the face. You can often find them on craigslist for ~$100. Hitachi is Metabo now, and all my trim guns are older Hitachi, no complaints there either.

I spent a lot of years swinging a hammer, but I have to admit that the pneumatics are a lot easier on my wrist and elbow these days.

I spent a lot of years swinging a hammer, but I have to admit that the pneumatics are a lot easier on my wrist and elbow these days.
My years of really swinging a hammer and shooting nails are mostly behind me. It is hard work anytime you are using a gun, hammer, nailbag's bent over, overhead, to the side and do se do. The elbow wrist shoulders back legs hips all feel the years.
Take care of your wrist's and elbow's PAToyota. They area made for hugging
Flipside, stayed in shape, built many wonderful projects and our master bath has a urinal.

Great original post and sure you picked a safe nail gun. The kind of project more my size these days.

The ASH shed is wonderful. My eyes where drawn to the exterior planks/ siding, how you ran then long and wild. We you use to do this in building all the time.
Wonder if you cut them back? Oh yeah, Did you use a nail gun on the ASH? Kinda looks predrilled and screwed, That's what yknot would of done.

Be safe I8hmud members and thanks.

PS Lost a Red Toyota Highlander lately. Down to Red 97 FZJ80 and Red 97 T00 4x4 SR5

My dad was a contractor and when he was doing the hiring instead of the foreman's, he would ask to see how a person drove a nail. Most would bend the thing before it went in. It was a quick way to weed the herd a bit. Knowing how to drive a nail square is a lost art these days. I can remember him giving me a can of nails and a railroad tie...telling me to put all those 16 penny nails in the tie. There must have been 500 nails. By the end, I could sink a 16p with two or three hits. I never realized the lesson until...

When my dad and I built our cabin, we brought up 2 of his workers to help us. He wanted to hand drive the entire thing, it was in the mountains and he didn't want to hear a compressor. It took all of us a little while to get our swing back, but by the end of three days, we were deadly to a nail. Once you get a rhythm...it's just as fast as a nailer without the hassle. I used a 24oz vaughn with wood handle, like an old friend.

Now I know pneumatics are nice and easier and I would suggest one to anyone new to framing. I would definitely use a pneumatic for any finish work, it will save you from marking the trim. I have a dewalt personally, but any should do the job.

Is Metabo the same as Hitachi? I'm considering a 21 degree takes full round head plastic collated nails.
Hitachi bought Metabo FYI. Not a pro, used to sell power tools for a long time.Bostich and Hitachi guns sold well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom