What I did in Germany over the summer. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes. Expensive is implied when it comes to big boy toys.
Which reminds me. What better way to race to a cafe than on a chrome BMW.
IMG_6609.JPG

Hope everyone is doing well. Overland East is over and if I remember correctly the annual group meeting had been held along with Black Balsam. I hate that we are missing so much back home.
But I have found what I will be replacing my 80 with.
The Italian army is guarding/keeping watch over almost all famous areas that tend to collect tourists. They stand guard with rifles and vigilantly keep an eye out. Hopefully that watch will be enough of a distraction for me to swipe one of their Ivecos. These things are nice. Snorkels, extended exhaust tubes, winches, rifle racks, auto tire inflation. I mean these things just right. Now if I can just avoid being shot at.
IMG_7149.JPG

Found this too. Well worn. Didn't catch the brand so here's your chance to fill me in on what I caught.

IMG_7050.JPG

So I saw this on the way to the airport. I must be living in a vacuum or something. I had never seen one and had to look it up to verify that it is real.
Unfortunately for us it is real.
I suppose if you take the legendary Landcruiser name, hack off the Land and replace it with Urban, boom just as good right? Welcome to marketing.
IMG_7318.JPG

IMG_7322.JPG

That can't be a Honda. Cases are way to pretty. It has a Honda logo on the seat but something tells me that that bike might be a combination of two or three different bikes. Cool cafe style bike though.

Looks like an old 750 four

Happy belated Thanksgiving. It is weird being here during Thanksgiving. It's just another day off work to the Germans but it makes you realize how unique and special a holiday it is for US.
So my inlaws were hear leading up to the holiday and I took them to the BMW museum. We didn't get to see everything as I had to pick my son up from a birthday party but here is a glimpse of some of the cool stuff.
IMG_7466.JPG

IMG_7460.JPG

IMG_7463.JPG

IMG_7464.JPG

IMG_7458.JPG

IMG_7470.JPG

Across the street is BMW World. A dealership on steroids. It has a few displays too.
The not so Mini Dakar vehicle.
IMG_7487.JPG

A guy who lives a block or so away is a carpenter. His mobile office is a Mercedes Sprinter van. It is adorned with happy little trees. Not a bad looking rattle can mural. Although I'm not sure why the river flows red.
IMG_7545.JPG

It's been a while. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of you.
I was nuts busy with work from Thanksgiving all the way up to Christmas break. As a result I made a hasty retreat to an English speaking country as a present to myself.
We end up in London. What did I find there? The English language spoken with delight.. and automotive angst. Cars so expensive I'll likely never get to sit behind the wheel. But as I stated at the beginning of this post; I'd drive it if given the chance. In this case I'd return them with absolutely no vulcanized material left on the round exotic alloys.
You will forgive the night pictures. It is only light for 25 minutes a day here now.
Begin...
Aston Martin DB9
IMG_8060.JPG

Ferrari (Pick some letters and numbers)

IMG_8113.JPG

Bentley
IMG_8114.JPG

Another Ferrari ( I quite like the looks of the silver.)
IMG_8334.JPG

Kermit the Lamborghini
IMG_8329.JPG

And in a dealership, barely visible with the smartphone f stop, Lamborghini Veneno Coupe'
IMG_8210.JPG

IMG_8211.JPG

Yes that is the nose of a Diablo in the background on the right.

Not on MUD much these days, but glad to see some updates from your travels. I hope you and the family are well.

Matt. Thanks. We are well and trust that all of our Mud friends at home are doing well.
I haven't been online as much either. Since the 80 is gone there isn't much to research by way of mods and improvements. As much as I want a 200 to replace it; it just isn't in the cards for another few years. So the goal is to save and save and when the right one comes along we'll see what happens.
Even this thread has been neglected to an extent so here is a "mea culpa" of sorts.
A bike and a tired old defender. Despite the age and wear I'd take both. As we all know the old stuff needs to cared for, loved and cleaned up... so it can be taken out and used again.
IMG_8834.JPG

IMG_8875.JPG

Well, in less than 80 days our extended trip will come to an end. I have looked back on this tread and come to the realization that it doesn't do justice to all of the cool rides I've seen and experienced.
I was, for a variety of reasons, not able to capture all of them. As a matter of fact this is a pretty lean posting of the cool stuff we've seen.
Don't worry though, not everything is awesome and cool. I was just showing you some of the best bits. Most of what I'm surrounded by on a daily basis is the most mundane uninspired collection of Peugeot 206s, VW Polos, and Opel "so bad I can't even remembers".
But, I will say that the cool stuff makes up for it. Like tonight. We went for a bus ride to a burger place and just around the corner was this Honda. I wanted one of these when they were new. And now that I've seen it again, I want one just as much now.
IMG_9186.JPG

And so as we wind down our trip I will snap a few more of the cool stuff and post them for us to enjoy.
Sadly no 70 Series, Rover SeriesIIs or bikes will be coming back over. I will have to find my own cool in the US.

Spring break hit Munich with a welcome bit of warmer weather and plenty of sun over the weekend, but we already had plans to get outta Dodge and booked a flight to Athens. Second to last vacation trips we'll take before heading back to the US.
What did we find? Well it's a lot like driving in Italy. Beat up cars, five lanes when I've only counted enough lines for three or four and motorcycles. Lots of bikes.
One thing that stuck out was the number of Honda Transalps I've seen. Except for about two years at the end of the the 80's they were/are not available in the US.
Honda now has the CRF250L Rally in the US and the CRF1000L Africa Twin but no Transalp. That CRF would be awesome in a 450 variety, but so would being able to get our hands on some of these.
IMG_9212.JPG

Kawasaki KLE500
IMG_9306.JPG

Landcruiser with big back door and rear mounted tire.
IMG_9307.JPG

And the most absolute clean Rover LWB that you have ever seen outside of a museum. And it has the original air bag suspension. See how it sits without the compressor running.
IMG_9312.JPG

IMG_9313.JPG

Kawasaki KLE500
View attachment 1438903

Landcruiser with big back door and rear mounted tire.
View attachment 1438904
And the most absolute clean Rover LWB that you have ever seen outside of a museum. And it has the original air bag suspension. See how it sits without the compressor running.
View attachment 1438908
View attachment 1438909

Love that Range Rover and in the best color!! But as a range rover owner I have to say it probably sits at that height whether or not the compressor is running! I'm glad mine doesn't have any air bags on the suspension.

@erse If I found one this clean I'd have to sell a body part to get it and it's a Rover so most would say I'd lost my mind anyhow. But I've always loved these things.
I've been meaning to contact you. How's the ride? I hope you are happy with it.

@erse If I found one this clean I'd have to sell a body part to get it and it's a Rover so most would say I'd lost my mind anyhow. But I've always loved these things.
I've been meaning to contact you. How's the ride? I hope you are happy with it.

Going well, its my DD and has been faultless so far. Even the :princess: likes it and she usually just tolerates my vehicles with mild disdain. I was toying with selling it to get in to a 62 as I prefer the 60 series body style and room but she gave me "the look" so I will likely keep it for a while. Its the only vehicle I own she will drive. I will email you a couple of questions I have been meaning to ask. After I finish my taxes!

I am with you on that Rover, my 87 which has more miles than the space shuttle and is white , my least favorite color, puts a smile on my face every time I look at it and drive it. Get the right one and they are awesome. The green on that one really ups the classic look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom