What I did in Germany over the summer. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Kajun

SILVER Star
Threads
What I did in Germany over the summer; or "I wish I could drive one of those".

I was re-assigned to Germany for a few years and started snapping pictures once we hit the ground.

Marshall asked for pictures and while we have seen some of the countryside (a few different countries) already, the thing that stands out the most is what you can drive provided you pass TUV inspection.

I don't know all of the laws regarding what a vehicle needs to be outfitted with but there are some sights. I will post them as I see them and snap photos. I will try to refrain on becoming Defender happy. They are a dime a dozen and I like them all. You can bet if I see a Cruiser I will get a photo of it.

As we travel, photos of the different sights will be included, but figured y'all might just enjoy the rides.

Enjoy

Mud Defender Camper.jpg

Defender - 4 doors with a camper back. There were 8 other defenders parked on this street.
Mud Benz.jpg

Benz - 2 Door: fully prepared amature rally set up. Still street legal.

Last edited:
Mud Mog 01.jpg

Unimog single cab with camper back. This was a big truck, but I have seen two that were absolutely ginormous compared to this. I just didn't get photos because we were driving.
Mud VW.jpg

Cool Little VW. The older cars here are kept up pretty well.
Mud James Cook.jpg

Mercedes James Cook camper van with Westfalia top. He is on BFG Mud Terrain 255/85 R16s. I like this one the best so far.
Mud BMW Bike.jpg
BMW with a side car. I know I should know the model, but just off the top of my head I am horrible with the older R numbers. Especially since this one is of war vintage. It appears to be original patina. Check out the helmet fastened to the tank. We spotted it in Italy at the Police station while I was paying a parking ticket.

Mud Patrol.jpg

Nissan Patrol - Diesel, Mild Lift, Barn Doors. Really nice looking.

Mud Defender 110.jpg

Like the door says... Land Rover 110 Td5 with skinnies on wolf wheels. Can't get any more simple than this.

So my neighbor owns a Bentley Azure and Mercedes SLS AMG. He must have had some buddies over cause there were two more Mercs in the garage tonight. Nothing like a million dollars worth of machine just sitting there. All I could think is that at least one would be returned with all of the rubber burnt off off the wheels and the rest would buy a lot of Land Cruiser.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Keep it coming. Good to hear from you as well. Hope the wife and kiddos are doing well.

image.jpg

An original mini. This is only the tenth one I've seen in a week or two.

image.jpg

Nice patina and stance. Not a fan of the big and little tire combo but I'd still take it.

image.jpg

Went to the bike store today and saw this at the Mercedes dealership. Bling ass G wagon with yet another AMG hooked up to it. I had to zoom to get the photo as my bus was just around the corner. Likely this was the 2015 Black edition. I think production ends this year. Better run out and get yours while you still can. Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG - Car and Driver

I have never seen so many Unimogs over here as I have in the last week or two. I think everyone is returning from vacation.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Nice patina and stance. Not a fan of the big and little tire combo but I'd still take it.
The first auto racing events that I ever attended were at VW bug events. We lived in Stuttgart, Germany for 3 years and the Germans ran bugs on oval tracks and drag strips. Most folks would never believe just how much performance you can get out of one of those things - with some modification of course!

I am amazed at how many beetles are still in solid shape and roaming the streets here. They are mostly stock, so it is the ones with a unique look or sound that stand out. But yes the jugs an carbs can be punched up pretty good and mated to a bus tranny for some fun. Exhaust decibel limits (and emissions) are heavily limited so you wont find any running straight Baja pipes.
The folks with money love their Harley's too. They are a major status symbol and every once in a while I see a nice chopper or bobbed bike, but not a one of them is running straight pipes. It's nice not to have my ears blown out, but at the same time it is odd.

image.jpg

I will plead completely ignorant on this one. We were at a big intersection and the light just turned green when I snapped it. It had a sombrero underneath the damage multiplier so it is Toyota. It looks like a two door 100. I didn't get any better of a look at the rear to see any badges or light schemes that would indicate what it might be.

View attachment 1130197

I will plead completely ignorant on this one. We were at a big intersection and the light just turned green when I snapped it. It had a sombrero underneath the damage multiplier so it is Toyota. It looks like a two door 100. I didn't get any better of a look at the rear to see any badges or light schemes that would indicate what it might be.
J90 (Prado), 2 Door version

image.jpg
On our way to Fuessen for the weekend. Sadly without a Cruiser, but there is no way one would climb those. The photo doesn't do the Austrian mountains justice.

Here is a view from nearly the top. Tegelbergbahn is the lift that takes you to 1707 meters. From there you can hike and or climb up to the peak at over 1840 meters. Or you can start off in the parking lot and climb up the whole thing. I may get a wild hair and attempt it before the next two years is up.
IMG_1243.JPG

A pano from somewhere above 1740 meters.

Mud Pano Tegelberg.jpg

Back to the rides... When I was 14 our neighbor had a Targa. I never liked it. I fancied myself a purist and only ever liked a solid roof. I have either grown wise with age or they have grown on me. I think the latter is most likely the case. I'd take one now.

Mud Targa.jpg

We went to dinner tonight and upon returning to the house, this was parked outside. These folks have been just about everywhere. The map of the Western Hemisphere is impressive. The other side had an equally impressive map of the Eastern Hemisphere.
Mud Benz2 a.jpg
Mud Benz2 b.jpg

Awesome account of your time over there. keep them coming. All the pictures are awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom