What I did in Germany over the summer. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Had a colleague visit from the states. His hotel is down the street from the newly renovated BMW Classis headquarters.
We decided to pop in and see what was in the window. Aside from the 1974 2002 Turbo and R69 that were behind glass at the entrance, we were surprised to find an M1 and a beautiful 2002 sitting in the open.
Inside the workshop were many other treasures. A pair of Z8s, a Z1, an Isetta, a 1600 or 1800, a 328 and in another work area a CSL Alpina.
I've never seen an M1 up close. It has jumped to the top of the list of "would have if I had buckets of money".
IMG_9630.JPG
IMG_9634.JPG
IMG_9636.JPG
IMG_9638.JPG
IMG_9641.JPG

We ride the big jet airliner on June 30th.

Ran across this gen 2 Ford Econoline 200 "Super Van" the other day.
A combination of refresh paint and the windows would exclude it from the "free candy van" category, so I'd take it. Especially if a 390 block were stuffed in it.
IMG_9619.JPG
IMG_9620.JPG

Speaking of a 390 I've got a hopped up 360 under the hood of the '68 F100 I've been tinkering on the last year. Not sure why the PO spent the $ to hopup and rebuild the 360 when he could have redone a 390 for the same $.

Once you get settled back stateside shoot me a message or call/text me we will have to meet up. I havent been on Mud much since they cut the mobile app and using tapatalk.

Got away to Zurich, Switzerland for the three day weekend.
Know all those exotic cars you see in videos from Europe? The folks who drive them live here. The first few hours in town looked like someone threw a box of keys out of the window of the Ferrari dealership and everyone scrambled away with a car.
There were some others more worthy of noting. This old cat and I mean like 80 years old was driving this RHD 1963 Lotus. It was sweet to say the least. It was super clean and ran like a top. The cream and green paint made it pop. Sorry the lighting angle sucks. Dual Weber side draft carbs to boot.
IMG_9666.JPG
IMG_9667.JPG

This AUDI R8 came tearing up the street. If you have never heard one in real life do yourself a favor and find one. They sound mean.
This is the only Auto Union product you would catch me behind the wheel of. Even with the yellow chrome wrap. But I'd return it on rims and 4 smoking flat rubbers.
IMG_9675.JPG

Last edited:
Bikes. In order:
Yes
Absolutely
Would rob a bank for

IMG_9775.JPG
IMG_9776.JPG
IMG_9774.JPG

Jaguar F Type. Really nice lines and they have a really nice note to them too.
IMG_9721.JPG
IMG_9722.JPG

So a few weeks ago I was driving somewhere and being on the autobahn I was using the skinny pedal a little liberally. My heart jumped and I backed off for just a second when I spotted a blacked out Ford Crown Vic Interceptor complete with steel wheels and small chrome caps. Then I realized that SLED and undercover troopers don't have jurisdiction in Bavaria.
Someone had the cash to bring one over here to drive as a personal vehicle. I imagined that they did it for the sole purpose of screwing with Americans. Sick bastard.
I didn't get a picture cause I was driving but I spotted this just a few days later. This is someone's personal daily driver. Looks great but it's a Chevy. I think the Vic would look better.
IMG_9807.JPG

We traveled a bit in the last week to burn up my last week of vacation before we move home.
While out and about I spotted this awesome BMW R50/2
IMG_0037.JPG

Compare that to its present day brother the GS1200. I only took a photo of this cause I was intrigued by the wire spoke wheels. Maybe I've ignored them when I've seen them in the past or I've only seen the solid spokes. I'd be interested in knowing the pros and cons of each and what conditions are favored by each. This bike was on Corsica.
IMG_0223.JPG

We were at the beach and waiting on a ride back to the city center when this 80 series VX drove by.
I have missed my 80 since I sold it last year and have always wanted a diesel so needless to say I call this one the winner of this thread. I especially like the rally style mud flaps.
IMG_0226.JPG

IMG_0228.JPG

Last edited:
In addition the the 80, I spotted an awesome Nissan Patrol. This is a truck from an era when Nissan still made a decent truck.
IMG_0229.JPG

Also spied this great Jeep. It was in perfect shape. The shadow made for a dark picture so it isn't as sharp looking.
Not sure of the model/date range but you can make out the capstan winch on the front bumper. The flag and numbers on the front bumper denote a French license and the 2A at the end signifies that it is registered in the department Corse-du-Sud on the island of Corsica (Ajaccio).
IMG_0232.JPG

Two more.
Someone in Austria owns this MAN ex military truck. Yes... one please. But only in the U.S. See below.
IMG_9941.JPG

I drive a relatively mid size 320d wagon. It is more than enough for a family of four and sometimes a challenge to maneuver in tight parking garages and narrow streets.
I can't imagine what driving a Ford 350 dually double cab would be like. Not to mention the fuel; It's €1.14 per liter here for diesel. 1 gallon is 3.785 liters so a gallon of diesel here, converted to USD is $4.82.
No thanks.
IMG_9920.JPG

So a few weeks ago I was driving somewhere and being on the autobahn I was using the skinny pedal a little liberally. My heart jumped and I backed off for just a second when I spotted a blacked out Ford Crown Vic Interceptor complete with steel wheels and small chrome caps. Then I realized that SLED and undercover troopers don't have jurisdiction in Bavaria.
Someone had the cash to bring one over here to drive as a personal vehicle. I imagined that they did it for the sole purpose of screwing with Americans. Sick bastard.
I didn't get a picture cause I was driving but I spotted this just a few days later. This is someone's personal daily driver. Looks great but it's a Chevy. I think the Vic would look better.
View attachment 1468088

We traveled a bit in the last week to burn up my last week of vacation before we move home.
While out and about I spotted this awesome BMW R50/2
View attachment 1468089
Compare that to its present day brother the GS1200. I only took a photo of this cause I was intrigued by the wire spoke wheels. Maybe I've ignored them when I've seen them in the past or I've only seen the solid spokes. I'd be interested in knowing the pros and cons of each and what conditions are favored by each. This bike was on Corsica.
View attachment 1468090
We were at the beach and waiting on a ride back to the city center when this 80 series VX drove by.
I have missed my 80 since I sold it last year and have always wanted a diesel so needless to say I call this one the winner of this thread. I especially like the rally style mud flaps.
View attachment 1468093
View attachment 1468094

So funny that it was "Kane County" on the police cruiser.....that is your first name, correct?

Yeah. My co workers had a bit of a chuckle at the whole thing.

My assignment in Germany is over and we fly home on Friday.

This thread has run its course. It is at its end and I will end it with a start.

I had to drive about 2.5 hours away to visit a supplier. I borrowed a buddy's car.

The start of my last long distance commute last week.
M3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom